Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did it change your pup for good or bad? What age? Appreciate hearing your feedback and experiences.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Neutering does not drastically change your dog's behavior. Most people seem to think it solves issues like humping and bad behavior- but it's consistent training that solves those. The one thing in a male dog would be marking, though. I would ask your vet for the age to do it at. They know your individual pet best, and this is something that can vary.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
In regards to males:
Our first boy GR Henry was neutered as a young puppy. The vet at the time said it needed to be done then because one of his testicles didn't drop. I've since learned we could have waited. He died at 8 of bone cancer. Neutering him didn't make a difference personality wise since he was a small puppy.

Our second boy GR Barkley was neutered at about 4-5 years old as I recall. He had issues around other dogs. We falsely thought he would change after neutering. Neutering made zero difference. He died around 8 years old from chemodectoma - tumor on the heart.

Our current boy GR Mr. B will be six this summer. He is intact and will be as long as he lives unless a medical reason causes the need for neutering. He's a semi retired show dog with his Ch. and still used as a stud dog.

Our females aren't spayed until well after a heat cycle or two if at all.

I have never noticed any big change with any of them after spay/neuter.

My next male will not be neutered either. There's no reason to.

If you are considering have your male neutered, wait until he is done growing at the very least. 1 to 1-1/2 years. Look into the current science on the subject.

·
Kristy
10,133 Posts
I'll never neuter a male dog again unless he's marking in the house and I can't get him to quit. (I'll deal with a lot of things, peeing in my house isn't one of them.) Evidence is really pointing to Goldens needing those hormones for health. Even with a female, I would hold off on spaying. Goldens are prone to developing "Spay/neuter coat" which happens after neutering - the undercoat becomes very cottony and grows longer and the dogs often become just a shaggy, unkempt looking mess.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did it change your pup for good or bad? What age? Appreciate hearing your feedback and experiences.
Hi-
Neutering is such a hot button issue right now so I hesitate posting.

We neutered our 17 month old boy a few weeks ago for a few reasons which I won’t go into now.

Now that a few weeks have passed, I definitely am seeing some calming in him. Nothing dramatic but a definite change. Also, his outside marking as just about disappeared.

Granted, the calming might be due to the fact that we are constantly training so maybe he all of a sudden “got it”! Also, it could be his age that is responsible now that he is 1.5 years old. He is definitely not as interested in other dogs on our walks. Still interested, but it is easier to distract him now.

We are doing some more private lessons right now and he was totally focused with the trainer last time whereas before he was easily distracted by other dogs.

Anyway, that has been our experience with our boy-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi-

We neutered our 17 month old boy a few weeks ago for a few reasons which I won’t go into now.

Now that a few weeks have passed, I definitely am seeing some calming in him. Nothing dramatic but a definite change. Also, his outside marking as just about disappeared.

Granted, the calming might be due to the fact that we are constantly training so maybe he all of a sudden “got it”! Also, it could be his age that is responsible now that he is 1.5 years old. He is definitely not as interested in other dogs on our walks. Still interested, but it is easier to distract him now.

We are doing some more private lessons right now and he was totally focused with the trainer last time whereas before he was easily distracted by other dogs.

Hi-

Wonderful, sounds like our boys are pretty similar. My biggest concern is reactionary tendencies while walking. Covid messed us up on training so we are also working with a trainer.

·
Premium Member
18,562 Posts
Wonderful, sounds like our boys are pretty similar. My biggest concern is reactionary tendencies while walking. Covid messed us up on training so we are also working with a trainer.
Just FYI, neutering probably won't change dog reactivity. Training will help with that, I'm sure already know that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Our boy is super interested in other dogs only to play...not a problem with reactivity. I don’t think neutering would help with that but I am no expert😊

1 - 10 of 10 Posts