Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, hope u and puppys are well! Miles is coming upto 6 months now and I was just wondering when you would recommend having her done? One vet told me 6 months, another said wait for a season another said don't! Xx

·
Registered
581 Posts
I personally don't believe in neutering unless one has a specific situation that requires it (i.e. testicular cancer, a male and female dog living together, etc.). Any surgical procedure has risks and other procedures like this- docking of tails on Rottweilers, declawing of cats, etc.- are already regarded by many groups as inhumane.

I believe if we could ask our dogs, they would object to having their balls removed (I don't mean to be crass, but that's what neutering is). This procedure interferes with their natural development and their natural system of hormonal regulation. I've heard reports that dogs would could show restraint and monitor their diets prior to neutering sometimes become very overweight afterwards.

I also wonder if sometimes people subconsciously favor neutering because they subconsciously view their pets as infants or children and seeming them mature into adulthood is odd for them. I mean, in a way, my dog is my baby, but I'd never attempt to surgically prevent him from growing up, which I think neutering is, in a way.

I know some folks are going to vehemently disagree with my thinking here, and that's okay. I just wanted to make sure you heard from "the other side", since you asked. :)

And, also, having said all that, I do still support owners' decisions to do (or not do) whatever they feel is best for their individual pets (neutering or not neutering included).

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I think you mean spaying...? Your dog is female (spay) or male (neuter)?

It's a personal decision, really. If you are comfortable having a bitch in heat around, and know you can provide the proper care and security needed to keep a receptive female from getting pregnant, then you should consider waiting. But if you don't want or are unable to deal with a bitch in heat, then it is far better to spay her earlier than risk her getting pregnant.

As for subtly insinuating that spaying and neutering your pet is comparable to inhumane practices like docking...bull****! Just tell that to the thousands upon thousands of unwanted dogs and cats sitting around in shelters. That's inhumane.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I've heard reports that dogs would could show restraint and monitor their diets prior to neutering sometimes become very overweight afterwards.

This wouldn't be a good reason not to spay or neuter (for me). Since the humans are the ones that feed their pets it would be up to us to monitor the amount of food to keep the dog at a healthy weight.

First, what was in your contract with your breeder?

There are a few studies out there that suggest it may be beneficial to hold off spaying until after the first heat. But, holding off until after the first heat does up the risk of mammary cancer slightly.

If you look around on the forum there are many posts about this subject that have some really good links.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Actually, neutering can be used for both sexes.

Anyway, I have always spayed our girls at 6 months with no problems. Look at your contract first and talk with your breeder. Can you deal with a dog going through a heat cycle? Some people don't want to have to deal with that.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Actually, neutering can be used for both sexes.

Anyway, I have always spayed our girls at 6 months with no problems. Look at your contract first and talk with your breeder. Can you deal with a dog going through a heat cycle? Some people don't want to have to deal with that.
This I did not know! Is there any reason why the word spay was introduced instead of just using the universal word neuter?

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
This I did not know! Is there any reason why the word spay was introduced instead of just using the universal word neuter?
I am not sure of that. I wonder about the origin of the word spay, now!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Golden999
I also wonder if sometimes people subconsciously favor neutering because they subconsciously view their pets as infants or children and seeming them mature into adulthood is odd for them. I mean, in a way, my dog is my baby, but I'd never attempt to surgically prevent him from growing up, which I think neutering is, in a way.

I think it is possible that some people do subconsciously think as Golden999 suggests about their dogs. :) Keeping a dog certainly satisfies a desire in most of us to nurture and take care of a creature which is dependent upon us.

Personally, whether a male or female (castrate or spay) I would want to wait until my dog had reached maturity, both mentally and physically, before deciding to neuter, although I do appreciate that not everyone is confident they can keep their bitch safe when in season. I have always waited until after the first season and am be prepared to "put up" with any inconvenience because I believe it is better for a dog to become adult both mentally and physically.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
For neutering I'm waiting until Bayne is over a year old, I hear many differences to the spay though and have no opinion since it's a none issue here.

Any surgical procedure has risks and other procedures like this- docking of tails on Rottweilers, declawing of cats, etc.- are already regarded by many groups as inhumane
I totally disagree with declawing and it's in our contract with our Maine **** breeder that we cannot declaw our 2 cats. This is not just a simple removal of the claws, it's an actual amputation of the first 'knuckle'. Because of this procedure many cats develop spinal deformaties and also hip displasia due to the unnatural way they have to learn to walk due to the missing knuckles. Compare that to us losing our toes to the first knuckle and see how we walk after that.... not an easy feat.

I'm starting to see many Rotti's with long tails, looks strange but it's so cute.

·
Registered
581 Posts
As for subtly insinuating that spaying and neutering your pet is comparable to inhumane practices like docking...bull****!
I don't know, ask some humans guys you know whether they'd rather have their testicles cut off or their appendix (Humans don't have tails) removed. I'll bet most of them say their appendix! If we could ask dogs what they thought, I get the feeling neutering would not be widely considered an acceptable practice, at least not in situations where dogs can be reasonably likely to be stopped from breeding indiscriminately.

Having said that, I recognize that as animals, they don't have the same rights as humans, and it theory I recognize anyone's right as an owner to neuter if they want to do that. I wouldn't do it my dog, though.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I don't know, ask some humans guys you know whether they'd rather have their testicles cut off or their appendix (Humans don't have tails) removed. I'll bet most of them say their appendix! If we could ask dogs what they thought, I get the feeling neutering would not be widely considered an acceptable practice, at least not in situations where dogs can be reasonably likely to be stopped from breeding indiscriminately.

Having said that, I recognize that as animals, they don't have the same rights as humans, and it theory I recognize anyone's right as an owner to neuter if they want to do that. I wouldn't do it my dog, though.
Why don't they perform a vasectomy on dogs instead of castration?

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Most breeders now ask that you wait until the dog/bitch is 12-18 months or older before neutering. The hormones also help to regulate the growth of bones, giving signals to stop growing at.appropriate times. Early neutering stops this from happening, sometimes resulting in longer, less proportionate bones and a greater risk of joint problems. (This is how it was explained to me and was supported by what I have read---I am no expert). We waited to neuter both of our boys until they were in the 15-18 month zone. Both boys have a very "male" look and lovely heads...something you sometimes do not see in dogs neutered as puppies. Most vets still seem to push for 6 month neutering, probably because they don't want to see unwanted puppies. If you are responsible about keeping her safe, it shouldn't be a problem. Many people do not even notice their first heats.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
I realize this is an older post, but I have a couple of issues I need advice on, or to Chew on...(very dogspeak don't you think...lol)

First off, I've only had females dogs, previously, and spayed at 6 months, our new pup will be born the end of January...and come to us, hopefully in March.

Anyway, that said, I plan on spaying our female when she is 6 months, although I have not spoken with the breeder yet, and will abide by her expertise.

I DO wonder why a female cannot just have her tubes tied, cauterized, snipped, etc. like us humans do. A total hysterectomy, removal of the uterus is unecessary, when a ligation would serve the same purpose.

Maybe someone can figure this out, but by my own thinking, a tubal ligation would probably be more time consuming for the Vet.
(Although, I'm sure going to ask about it.)

Also, I would suppose, removal of the uterus is a sure fire method of sterility, where as a ligation, may be iffy.

Although a vascetomy in a male dog could be checked, as in a human to make sure he was sterile.

Just thinking outloud here...(plus I'm a R.N.) makes me think about these things more, I suppose.

Hug your dogs for me...I'm dogless for now......:)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Actually, I have never not noticed a heat, be it first or last.... It is important to review all pros and cons....

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
We waited to neuter both of our boys until they were in the 15-18 month zone. Both boys have a very "male" look and lovely heads...something you sometimes do not see in dogs neutered as puppies. Most vets still seem to push for 6 month neutering, probably because they don't want to see unwanted puppies. If you are responsible about keeping her safe, it shouldn't be a problem. Many people do not even notice their first heats.
my biggest concern about neutering moose was if we wait til be is over a year, if he smells a female in heat he will become aggressive.. and i won't have control over him. did your pups have any aggressive'ness ? not that moose will be around females in heat, we will make sure he isn't but sometimes you just can't predict these things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry yes maybe it's an English thing but we have always said neuter, my mother in law has an older male in tact lab who miley adores and spends a lot of time with in the days if we are at work so it wouldn't be practical not to have her done as I'm really not in a position to raise puppies! I don't agree with people saying its like docking tails or declawing cats, (docking is banned in england)

So if I wait til after her first season, maybe 12 months? I'm not clear on whether she's susceptible to cancer if i leave her for a bit or not? I can handle
A few seasons if it's for her well being

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I DO wonder why a female cannot just have her tubes tied, cauterized, snipped, etc. like us humans do. A total hysterectomy, removal of the uterus is unecessary, when a ligation would serve the same purpose.

Maybe someone can figure this out, but by my own thinking, a tubal ligation would probably be more time consuming for the Vet.
(Although, I'm sure going to ask about it.)
Humans don't get pyometra. It's something that female dogs with ovaries are prone to and can turn deadly quickly. There would also be no protection from mammary cancer.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Our females breeder asked us to wait until she was over a year before spaying if we thought we could handle. Our Vet agrees and it is to let the natural harmones have a chance to complete their job. She suggests about 1 -1 1/2 yrs for our girl and 18-24 mo. for a male. We are working on it and trying to make decissions of how to seperate our two when the time comes. We figure this will be at least 1 heat and possibly 2. Its a work in progress, but we want to have a workable plan when it happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all, I'm happy with waiting til we think she's mature enough, it's not some thing I'm going to enjoy doing but I think it's necessary,

totally separate question, when she is 6 months how much bigger will she get? She's as big as my mother in laws lab already!! I don't mind I'm just curious

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Kye is 7 1/2 mo and prob. weighs about 55 or so lbs. Her mom was 65 lbs so think she will not grow a lot more heavy, but think she is shorter than our Am. goldens (she is light). She looks more stocky than tall and will have to just wait and see what happens in the next months. I wonder when they stop getting height? Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts