Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My male golden is 5 1/2 months old. My vet suggested I get him neutered at around 6 months. I was told by his "puppy school" trainer that I should wait at least a year before neutering him, this way he fully develops. I was curious to hear people's thoughts and past experiences with their goldens.

- Jason

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am following this post. I've heard so many mixed things about when to neuter my puppy.
I heard a year is good but my vet said after 6months is good.
So I'm thinking somewhere between 6 months and a year.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
There is evidence out there especially with males that they should not be neutered until their growth plates close which is between 18 and 24 months. Evidence of neutering before that can increase the risk of cancer and CCL tears in the legs. I am sure someone will have the links or you can search in the search bar for them.

·
Kristy
10,130 Posts
Everyone needs to read up on the literature and make a decision for themselves. Have you discussed with this with your dog's breeder? Most reputable breeders have an opinion on this subject.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...dy-some-health-effects-spaying-neutering.html

You can use the search feature at the top of this page, enter a term like "UC Davis Study" or "Neutering male puppy" etc. and bring up old threads on the topic.

Any large breed male dogs I own will not be neutered until closer to two years of age or later, if at all. Too much seems to be affected by cutting off hormones before they are fully mature. The issues with bone growth and joint problems also seems even more clear cut.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
We have decided not to neuter our male based on our research on the subject. For us and Noah's health, we believe that not neutering is the best for his long term health.

You will need to decide what is best for you and your dog. But there's no need to rush into the decision.

Here are a few more articles to consider.

Early Spay Neuter: 3 Reasons To Reconsider

Your Dog Needs To Be Spayed Or Neutered - Right? - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Edit - an alternative to traditional neuter is vasectomy - you may wish to look into that option as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 4 month old male has a testical that hasn't dropped yet. My vet wants to have it neutered now so they can remove it. How long should I wait?

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
From what i have seen about when to neuter, the most important thing is to wait until the dog has reached maturity. Male dogs that have been neutered way to early, such as puppies in shelters, often have joint problems when neutered at around 8 weeks, before they go to their adoptive homes. Dogs neutered very early tend to appear lanky.

The question asked by the OP is a common question on the forum. Many decide to go ahead and neuter around 8 to 12 months of age. Others decide to wait until 18 to 24 months, and still others decide to not neuter at all. Those who neuter their dogs around 8 to 12 months of age do so because of behavioral issues, or needing to take their dog to day care where intact dogs are not allowed, as well as for other reasons. Neutering is a decision each owner must make based on their own situation. Talk to your Vet! There is a lot of information out there. Review the studies, but also be aware that some of the information is written with a particular point of view, may not be objective, and may draw conclusions that have limited basis in fact. Even studies like the one done by UC Davis are not perfect. It was a retrospective study done on a limited number of dogs that had been brought into the veterinary hospital. Not a completely random sample.

My opinion is that nothing catastrophic will happen if a dog is neutered between 8 and 12 months. I can tell you that Max was neutered at 8 months of age. He was 99 pounds and had reached puberty at least 2 to 3 months earlier. He is now more than 5 years old and shows no signs of joint problems or hip dysplasia. He acts in all respects like a normal male Golden Retriever.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,599 Posts
Hi there,

My male golden is 5 1/2 months old. My vet suggested I get him neutered at around 6 months. I was told by his "puppy school" trainer that I should wait at least a year before neutering him, this way he fully develops. I was curious to hear people's thoughts and past experiences with their goldens.

- Jason
First, you have a Golden Retriever.
The latest information on altering Golden Retrievers indicates it is better to wait until the pup has matured before deciding to alter the dog.

I would most certainly wait to alter the dog until at least two years of age if at all.

·
Registered
780 Posts
6 month is way too early to cut him. As many other suggested 24 months should be a minimum age to neuter your dog. Do some research on the subj. Here is a good reading

·
Kristy
10,130 Posts
My 4 month old male has a testical that hasn't dropped yet. My vet wants to have it neutered now so they can remove it. How long should I wait?
Although it is rare, there is always the possibility it could still drop in the next couple months. Testicular cancer is generally found in older dogs. Discuss with the vet the UC Davis study and if there is a downside till waiting till your dog is more like 12-18 months. It is ultimately your decision and again, you might talk to the breeder about it. It is a decision of risk vs. reward.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
If we had gotten a male there is no doubt we would of waited to neuter until close to two. The evidence seems to be there for waiting with a male. We had Chloe fixed a week or so after she turned six months. With a female there are a lot more things to worry about and the evidence isnt there as strong as the males.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Wait! Read or watch on YouTube Dr. Karen Becker's, "The Truth on Spaying and Neutering Pets. There is mounting evidence on the terrible problems it can cause. At least wait a couple of years to do this. Most of us are responsible pet owners and will not allow unwanted pregnancies to happen.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How does this work with those of us who have a spay/neuter agreement with our breeder? I will ask them, but I will feel my hands are tied by their wishes.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
How does this work with those of us who have a spay/neuter agreement with our breeder? I will ask them, but I will feel my hands are tied by their wishes.
I would have the discussion with them. Most breeders are aware of the benefits of delayed neuter. You might also want to ask them if a vasectomy, which allows them to keep their hormones would satisfy your agreement - as it would still sterilize your boy.

·
Kristy
10,130 Posts
This is an article from Dr. Chris Zink who is an expert on canine athletes. This is nicely put together and gives info for the question on undescended testacle:

http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/spay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf

"For males with retained testicles, there is a logical solution, based on fact. A large prospective study showed that
the incidence of testicular cancer in cryptorchid dogs was 12.7/1000 dog-years at risk.(39) In other words, if 100
dogs with retained testicles live to be 10 years old, approximately 13 of them will develop cancer in the retained
testicle. The average age at which tumors develop in undescended testes is 8.7 years.(40) These tumors are
commonly benign, though they can grow quite large. Based on this study, I recommend that dogs with retained
testicles have surgery to remove the retained testicle some time during the first three years of life and at that time
they have a vasectomy on the remaining spermatic cord. This solution allows the dog to have the benefit of its sex
hormones, but prevents passing this likely genetic condition on to offspring."

·
Registered
367 Posts
This image I think, speaks well for this discussion.

YOU WANT TO NEUTER AT WHICH AGE?
Testosterone and estrogen, produced by the sex organs (testes in males and ovaries in females), are absolutely central to the closure of the growth plates in you and your dog. Now if good joints were what you were after, what age would seem appropriate to safely stop sex hormone production in the dog?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Talking to your vet is good, but it's also important to note that vets can't know about every breed the way we would like. I go to a vet who specializes in dogs, and (in the same practice) another for my cats whose area of expertise is cats.

My breeder doesn't have strict rules, though he made it clear he would prefer we wait as long as possible. He used to require that males be neutered by a certain point, but now he feels that it is healthier to remain intact and approves of this. Part of why I felt comfortable with him was his stance on this topic.

For vanity reasons, I hope we don't have to neuter. My daughter keeps talking about the downfall of the "neuter coat."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Flip this conversation to ask yourself why are you neutering?

In my opinion in the US the push to neuter is one of limiting dog population. In most places the days of all dogs running free with no leash laws are over. So why are we still neutering? Evidence shows that neutering can reduce longevity.

Neutering does not reduce marking, humping or aggression.

I am sure to upset a few breeders on this forum but I think it is in breeding contracts for the same reason so that you do not irresponsibly go off and start breeding with their dogs.

My breeder has a non breeding contract but urges you to leave your dogs intact for health reasons.

I have an intact 6 yr old male and a puppy that will remain intact.

I have had neutered male dogs in the past that are living ~4 or so years less than their unneutered relatives. I am convinced. The science makes sense the body is very effected by the loss of hormones, hormones regulate almost every system in the body.

My vote is to not Neuter.

·
Duke & Nala's Mom 🐾
658 Posts
I joined this forum not too long ago asking the same question. To be quite frank my opinion still has not changed. Many people on the GRF ask about neutering/spaying and what their vets or statistics say. Ultimately, it is the owner's decision on what they feel is best for their dog. Whether you decide to wait 2 years, a year, or 6 months, it is the owner's decision. Personally, my significant other and I are neutering and spaying both of our dogs at 6 months. That is our decision, as we feel it's best for us. Think about your environment, your household, your view on the situation, your dog, and ultimately why you want that decision.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts