Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several questions involving neutering. I am aware of the topic being controversial, but I will be trying my best to neuter Maximilian after sexual maturity.

He is 4.5 months now and we take him out around once a week to a dog park nearby. It's a small park with a few dogs in it, sometimes none, which I like. I am aware of the responsibility that comes with having an intact male and am just wondering... Do owners with intact dogs frequent dog parks? Do they steer away? I am pretty in control of max at that park since it's not very big. I'm sure once he exhibits manhood signs I will probably take him during odd hours and maybe let him play with 1 dog. Will I be scoffed at if he's the only one intact?

I'm unaware of any daycares that allow intact dogs in my area so dog parks would be one of our very few options for burning off energy.

Also... When does sexual maturity happen? When do male puppies start showing signs?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My experience with my intact male at a dog park was not any change in his behavior after sexual maturity, but in the way some dogs react to him upon noticing him. I think some neutered dogs feel threatened by him now (the scent maybe?) even though all he wants is to be pals. I don't take him to dog parks for this reason. Oddly enough we don't see this as often when we are on hikes. My Thor was showing signs around 6 months. He is 11 months now and while he does need to be managed in the house for trying to steal pillows and hump them and will sometimes, seldom really, try to mount another dog (I stop him), he isn't any more difficult for it. Certainly the advantage is that there are not many intact females around here either, I don't know how he would behave if there was an intact female in heat in the house next door, for example.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, I've read about the bullying issue, that's why I picture taking Max to the dog park when it's empty or maybe with one other dog. That way I can have more control over what the other dog might do, and I can aproach the owner about it.

I guess I might have to prepare myself with the "is that a girl/boy? Spayed/neutered?"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my Golden neutered at around 13 months old. He’s a big strong looking dog (not sure if that played a part) and for approx the couple months before neutering we did have problems with other dogs getting aggressive with him, particularly large dogs that he didn’t know. My dog is very well mannered and conservative in how he approaches other dogs at the park, so I didn’t feel like it was his “fault” but maybe the hormones he was giving off. We go to a big but crowded park. Often another dog would approach but instead of happy nose touching you’d see suspicious side-eye and stiff bodies and then the other dog would go for the top of his neck. My dog didn’t run away unfortunately, and would try to defend himself, which led to some scary moments. Anyway, two months later and he’s still the same happy and chill dog at the park and we seem to have few/no problems like that any more (just one pretty aggressive dog that shows up with a psycho owner (eye roll)). So maybe I would’ve been better off doing the neuter even sooner.
Best luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts