Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I guess I need to get Remington neutered sometime soon. Breeeder contract said 6 months but I expressed my concern about doing it so early and she said it was alright if I waited a few extra months. He turned 7 months yesterday. I am thinking to get it done during my kids school breaks so someone will be home with him (and he'll be closer to 9 months). That's either late February or mid-March. I got a quote from my vet and it's $400+. They do not accept Friends of Animals certificates nor does anyone in our area that I trust. Then, upon a little research, I stumbled upon a spay/neuter clinic in Conway, NH... the Rozzie May Animal Alliance. It looks like Dr. Monica Kramer does most of the surgeries. I Googled her and found good things. It is $90 to get your dog neutered there (for his size). Includes all. Does anyone have any feedback on this place? Thank you!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
How far is it from where you live? That would be my biggest concern - if a complication came up. All my boys have managed to rip out stitches or staples within the first two days and had to return to the vet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How far is it from where you live? That would be my biggest concern - if a complication came up. All my boys have managed to rip out stitches or staples within the first two days and had to return to the vet.
I know. It's about an hour and 40 minutes away. I know I could bring him to my vet if there were a complication.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
If money is an issue, use the clinic BUT please, please, PLEASE opt from pre-surgery bloodwork. This is so important and gives the doctor a clear picture of your dog's health. It can also provide a window into health concerns. In additon, do they use a laser or scalpel? Recovery time with a laser is SO much faster and worth teh $ in many surgeries. Do they prescribe pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds? Also important!

I would want to know how many animals get altered in a given day and how many doctors are performing the surgery? Are they churning them out or just do a handful per day?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If money is an issue, use the clinic BUT please, please, PLEASE opt from pre-surgery bloodwork. This is so important and gives the doctor a clear picture of your dog's health. It can also provide a window into health concerns. In additon, do they use a laser or scalpel? Recovery time with a laser is SO much faster and worth teh $ in many surgeries. Do they prescribe pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds? Also important!

I would want to know how many animals get altered in a given day and how many doctors are performing the surgery? Are they churning them out or just do a handful per day?
Thank you, these are great questions. I don't want to put Remington at risk at all. I have e-mailed them so hope to have answers soon.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not go cheap when it comes to any kind of surgery. o_O
You're right. I just spole to my husband and I guess we'll just have to pay the price. Just a bad time financially since my job security is pretty poor at this point. I certainly don't want to compromise Remington's health or safety in any way. I was just hoping to find a good alternative.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I have used Spay-Neuter clinics for rescues since I must pay for this myself and had no ill effects. I do request pain medication as it is usually not given also I request a 10 day supply of Antirobe Aquadrops (antibiotic) I put them on. I had a few males pull stitches out and if so we run to our local Vet, but really have had no problem. With my own dogs, I use our regular Vet because I want their spay/neuter part of their whole life medical history.

Reactions: bowdense

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be sure to check with your local humane society. Most do spays and neutered on a regular basis at an affordable price. Part of their reason for existing.
I have checked, they help with cats but not dogs. Thank you.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Bowdense - call the Clinic and speak to them. Think your gut feeling will tell you whether you are comfortable with this or not. The price for male spay at the Spay Clinic is only $55 whereas my Vet charges $175 but keeps them overnight. This is a huge difference. If in doubt call your Vet and have them give you the names of who they recommend and what medications to ask for. Most Spay clinics do not send the dog home with anything unless you specifically ask. I like to give pain meds for at least 2 days on the boys and feel most dogs should be on an antibiotic after any type of surgery. Just my opinion though. But found most city spay/neuter clinics are regulated. The one I used does up to 10 neuters a day & the spay number is about half this (don't remember) but this is all they do and there are 2 Vets. They also do low cost shots at various times of the year.

Just look at the whole picture because care of your boy is the Most imporant factor. Think after checking you will get a gut feeling of what you can do.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bowdense - call the Clinic and speak to them. Think your gut feeling will tell you whether you are comfortable with this or not. The price for male spay at the Spay Clinic is only $55 whereas my Vet charges $175 but keeps them overnight. This is a huge difference. If in doubt call your Vet and have them give you the names of who they recommend and what medications to ask for. Most Spay clinics do not send the dog home with anything unless you specifically ask. I like to give pain meds for at least 2 days on the boys and feel most dogs should be on an antibiotic after any type of surgery. Just my opinion though. But found most city spay/neuter clinics are regulated. The one I used does up to 10 neuters a day & the spay number is about half this (don't remember) but this is all they do and there are 2 Vets. They also do low cost shots at various times of the year.

Just look at the whole picture because care of your boy is the Most imporant factor. Think after checking you will get a gut feeling of what you can do.
Thanks. I have put a call in to the clinic to get answers to many of the questions you all brought up. I wish our prices were closer to the ones you just quoted...here, the clinic is $90.00 and our vet quoted $435. Big difference. But, of course, his heath comes first. He has been to the vet many times for all of his puppy shots, etc. Plus, he had issues with renal medullary washout. The vet is our friend :).

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Wow... over $400 for a neuter? That is way too much IMO. Our neuters at max are around $200 or so for the huge dogs. I am also going to xray his hips when I neuter him so I expect his neuter cost to be around $300.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I took Kasey to a spay/neuter clinic and had no problems. It cost me $190.00 for spay and microchip. My vet wanted to charge me $367.00. I got as much information as I could and I also visited the clinic before. They did send her home with 3 days worth of pain meds and I did not have to ask for it. Check it out and then you can decide if you are comfortable or not.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Wow... over $400 for a neuter? That is way too much IMO. Our neuters at max are around $200 or so for the huge dogs. I am also going to xray his hips when I neuter him so I expect his neuter cost to be around $300.
^ We spent $700 for a complicated neuter with our 10 year old golden. Because of his age, there were additional precautions, I think. The best thing though is he had no infection or issues after the surgery and recovered fairly quickly. <- And his pants and tail grew back fast and thick as well, since the surgery required they shave a lot off. o_O

For Jacks when he was between 6 and 9 months, I was quoted $150 for a neuter. I think that was based on weight though. Our vet warned us that waiting longer meant it would cost more.

I would not be surprised if neutering him now would cost about $250-300.... though I haven't inquired.

@OP - Inquire what the $400 is for. Ask for a quote from your vet and discuss with your vet.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Wow, I am glad that the complicated neuter turned out fine in the end...

Neuter prices at most clinics are based on weight. Beamer falls in the large category and it also is based on age... Over 1 year has an additional charge since they are more developed. Also, if the dog in question has a larges scrotum, some vets will also do a scrotal ablation where they take the entire scrotum off too to decrease the likelihood that it would fill with fluid/blood or become infected. I think that is an additional $150 at least.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
OMG! If our area was this high, know many would NOT neuter them. Can't imagine our Vets charging this much for a male! Our country Vet does males for $70 but must have proof of shots or he will give them and $90 for female (again, shots are extra). But he feels that it will keep it affordable for country folk who are getting up in years and people in these tough times, to keep spaying/neutering their pets. My city Vet charges $200 for female spay, med & shots are extra, so we get most of our own personal dogs spay/neuters done in the country.

In Oct we had our terrier girl spayed. They gave shots, clipped nails, plucked ear hair, treated a mild ear infection, checked teeth (cleaning done this summer) meds for surgery, med for ear, kept her over night and it was only $110. In town this would have been over $300.

I am sorry, got sidetracked, but that seems very high for a male to be fixed no matter where you live.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
It is very expensive here, i payed over $400.00 here also, for spirit, vet prices here are really very high, go with your gut feeling.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Neutering costs can also vary highly depending on the dog's age. A younger dog is a much simpler procedure than an older dog. That might account for some of the differences we're seeing in price (though region also matters).

I'd be happy going to a clinic at which they neuter a bajillion dogs a week. That means that those surgeons have more experience than probably any other vet you could find.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are the clinic's answers to my questions....

Is the surgery performed with laser or scalpel? Scalpel
Do the pups go home with pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds? Yes
How many dogs does a particular doctor neuter/spay in a typical day? 10-15
Is there just one doctor a day? Yes
What is your procedure for complications/infections? All animals do receive a longer term antibiotic injection, and pain med injection. We have 24 hr emergency follow-up phone number and emergency veterinary network from Bethel, Maine to Meredith, NH.

We have 2 levels of recovery, right off the table one on one monitoring. When animal is holding head up and moving about, moves to 2nd recovery, where monitored in crate. Our clients have watchful eyes on them from the minute they arrive until discharge.

Also, do they do pre-surgical blood-work? We do not have the equipment to do pre-surgical blood work and keep our fees as they are.

RMAA is a spay/neuter clinic offering the community affordable services. It is all we do. We are dedicated to the very best medical and personal care for animals in our care.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts