Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Was this at a dog park, or just in your neighborhood?

Mostly all dog parks or off leash areas have rules, and one of them being no bitchs in heat are allowed.
If this is the case you are not in the fault and should not feel bad about what happened.
if I took Cody to the park and someone broke the rules it is not my problem.
I am a seriously responsable dog owner and I should not have to cut my dog early because of someone who can't follow the rules.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Are you suggesting that you shouldn't ever have any intact dog off the lead for it's walks?? That's a new one on me I'm afraid! Not all entire dogs are sex-crazed maniacs that will run away at any given moment. The many, MANY entire males that I know of enjoy their walks off lead every single day without the slightest problem. It's almost like a dog that has the reproductive organs it was born with is a complete alien concept to many people. Routine castration of just about every pet dog has given society a very skewed view of the intact dog! I am all for castrating some dogs, some do far better without their bits...but every intact dog should be on a lead?? Where did that one come from?

Luckily most people have the sense to be able to keep an in season bitch on a lead or safe in a secure home...it is quite an unfair leap to suggest that every single intact male should be allowed no further than the end of a lead just because of the rare nutter that lets a in season bitch run loose.
I have to agree, Jack is 4 years old and never been neutered yet, I don't let him run free when there might be a female in heat.

He does however get off leash time just like my other dogs, we play it safe!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The guy hiding with his bitch in heat is an idiot. As the responsible owner of an intact male, unless your dog has excellent recall, you must keep him on a leash on walks, unless you have him in a controlled fenced area, IMO. You never know when you will run into an idiot with a bitch in heat. Even then you still run the risk of something happening. Case in point, I know Tucker's recall is not the best, so I always keep him leashed. We were walking on the beach with Tucker. A beautiful female golden comes running over, and Tucker bolts for her, catching me swapping hands on the leash. Of course he gets free and runs over to the other dog and they run into the ocean together playing. We retrieve him and I apologize to the other owner. She says don't worry, she is probably just coming into heat and that is why he bolted. I could not believe she had her dog off lead on a beach where any old dog could tie with her. Luckily Tucker did not get the chance to do that, but it opened my eyes to be more vigilant with him even on leash. We had him fixed at 17 mo, as I got tired of older male dogs growling at him, as it was starting to affect how he was greeting other dogs. We are now working with him meeting other dogs, as he is a little unsure of some dogs now.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
OF COURSE NOT!!!!! The OP said her dog now runs off everytime there is an intact bitch around. To me that would mean I should probably keep my dog on-leash or at least keep a leash on me so if I knew there was a bitch around I could hook him up. If the dog had no problem being off-leash then there would be no need obviously.

Seems I hit a nerve with you.
ah, glad to hear it. The way you worded your response 'why would you let an un-neutered male off-leash' seemed to me like you were talking about un-neutered dogs as a group and not the OP's individual dog. I just went back to re-read your post as you seem suprised that I came to the wrong conclusion (and I did feel a little silly that I could get it so wrong) but nope...it really does read that way to me, oh well, crossed wires I guess. I wouldn't say you hit a nerve (my dog was castrated at 2yrs) but people do seem to have very peculiar views of intact dogs...infact I've read posts where people claim intact dogs aren't even allowed in the parks and other areas created for exercise in their area...it certainly would be 'nerve hitting' if I lived in an area like that, luckily I don't! ;)

·
Mom to rescue Murphy
191 Posts
Maybe there's a culture gap in the crossed wires? Here in my southern U.S. state, we have such a problem with unwanted dogs / cats...lots of them running loose, shelters and rescues overflowing, hundreds euthanized. It's heartbreaking. And we don't have very strict animal protection laws, and the ones we do have get ignored a lot. So there is a strong SPAY / NEUTER sentiment as a result of these problems...maybe wouldn't be the same flow of feeling in other countries or regions?

I'm sorry you ran into a person like that guy with the dog in season! About selling the pups...you'd be surprised...our rescue took in a bitch who had been in a backyard cage forced to breed repeatedly and the guy was selling her pups in parking lots as goldens. Her ears are perky and upright and she is small--a mix! Luckily, she now has the most wonderful home and is cherished. I wish I could have gotten my hands on her first "owner." Grrr.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for all your informative feedback, I would like to point out I am a responsible dog owner - do you often find guys hiding in the bushes with their bitch in season?!lol Jamie also has a good recall but, if it were a chioce between owner or lady retriever Im sure many dogs would choose the latter!
I have decided to get him neutered as I think it unfair should any puppies be produced - especially to that jerk owner and I feel bad that Jamie is feeling so agitated, it cant be nice! Thanks again :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I've been reading this thread with some interest as my new pup is a male. I haven't raised a male since the 70's when neutering males was almost unheard of.

I have a couple questions -

Someone mentioned up thread that she was tired of older dogs growling at her intact male. Are these growling dogs intact as well? Or will all males, neutered or not growl, at an intact male?

Are intact males perceived as more dominate by other dogs, female and males? Is an intact male more apt to start a fight?

I want my guy to look "male", so unless there are any behavior issues I'm leaning towards holding off neutering until he's 18 mos. Other than the obvious behavior things; digging out of the yard, aggression, humping and marking, what are the others?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
ah, glad to hear it. The way you worded your response 'why would you let an un-neutered male off-leash' seemed to me like you were talking about un-neutered dogs as a group and not the OP's individual dog. I just went back to re-read your post as you seem suprised that I came to the wrong conclusion (and I did feel a little silly that I could get it so wrong) but nope...it really does read that way to me, oh well, crossed wires I guess. I wouldn't say you hit a nerve (my dog was castrated at 2yrs) but people do seem to have very peculiar views of intact dogs...infact I've read posts where people claim intact dogs aren't even allowed in the parks and other areas created for exercise in their area...it certainly would be 'nerve hitting' if I lived in an area like that, luckily I don't! ;)
I assumed people who read my first post would realize that I would not mean all intact males, but that is my fault, I should have stated it clearer.

Also, here in Texas and Arkansas most places do not allow intact males. I work at a doggie daycare/boarding facility that does not allow intact dogs at all except for training classes. Every other daycare in the area is the same way. That's just the way it is around here. If someone here said to me, "My male dog was off-leash walking down the sidewalk and it ran off and produced a litter of puppies with a bitch" , I would probably ask why was the dog off-leash? However, most responsible owners here keep their dogs on leash at all times, neutered or not, unless there is a secure are as there are leash ordinances in the city.

Like someone above mentioned, it may be a bit of a culture thing.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
If someone here said to me, "My male dog was off-leash walking down the sidewalk and it ran off and produced a litter of puppies with a bitch" , I would probably ask why was the dog off-leash?
oh without doubt that would be my first question too...a dog has no business off lead on a footpath of a busy road, there is absolutely no point in taking such risks especially as there is no benefit in it for the dog...I guess when I think of a normal dog walk and you think of a normal dog walk we are thinking of very different things! Most people in the UK have access to fields/woodland/beaches/country parks for their daily walks. It would be strange if your dog didn't enjoy time off lead when on these walks. If the only area available to walk your dog was along footpaths in residential areas then sadly they must live a life on the lead for their own safety.

I do find it odd that so many places have such harsh restrictions for entire dogs...in my experience they are normally the most stable, well mannered dogs off them all! My own dog Harry was a much more sociable dog with his hormones intact...he is now nervous around other dogs which makes him aggressive if they badger him too much, he was confident and happy around all dogs before his castration. Unfortunately he had an undescended testicle that needed whipping out.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Perdie that man was a complete idiot what does go through some people minds.:confused:
I think this thread shows the world of difference between walking your dogs in the UK to that in the USA here in the UK even in Urban areas a 5 min drive will take you to fields or such that you can let your dogs off leash to run free,to us it seems unimaginable that you couldn't let your dog off leash in a safe environment ie field beach etc whether intact or not.
But from what I have read on this thread and others many people in the USA have only designated dog parks if that, to give them free exercise unless you have land and would have to drive miles to perhaps find a field etc to let them run free.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I wish I lived in the UK :( I love seeing pics of your dogs loving life Emma!!

(sorry off topic!)

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I wish I lived in the UK :( I love seeing pics of your dogs loving life Emma!!

(sorry off topic!)
aw thanks Marlene.

I think most in the UK have a great deal of freedom on their daily walks. I absolutely cannot even imagine having to drive to a designated 'dogpark' where there are loads of dogs in a small patch of land, especially when you hear of such horror stories about owners just stood around while their dogs run amock.

Even when living in the middle of a large UK city I noticed dog walkers had access to the most amazing parks that they were welcome to enjoy with their dogs...infact often having more freedom than 'county dogs' as there are no worries about livestock (luckily I live around arable farmland.) Most people have walk their dogs once/twice a day as it is unusual to own large amounts of land, most have a modest back garden that dogs cannot get much exercise in.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Gosh what different worlds we live in!Great points raised there Emma, it never even occurred to me that many dog owners in the USA dont have access to fields/beaches/country parks, my home backs onto fields, I have a country park just 5 minutes away and the moors with a reservoir&castle just 20 minutes away,I just assumed we all did the same, maybe I shouldve fielded to the UK site even so all advice is gratefully recieved.At the end of the day we all want the best for our beloved pets and its good to get opinions from many different experiences so I thank you all for that :)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I've been reading this thread with some interest as my new pup is a male. I haven't raised a male since the 70's when neutering males was almost unheard of.

I have a couple questions -

Someone mentioned up thread that she was tired of older dogs growling at her intact male. Are these growling dogs intact as well? Or will all males, neutered or not growl, at an intact male?

Are intact males perceived as more dominate by other dogs, female and males? Is an intact male more apt to start a fight?

I want my guy to look "male", so unless there are any behavior issues I'm leaning towards holding off neutering until he's 18 mos. Other than the obvious behavior things; digging out of the yard, aggression, humping and marking, what are the others?
There is no clear cut answer as even the "experts" can't agree. Here are a few links to articles offering differing opinions on te sibject. Look them over annd decide what makes sense to you.

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.akcchf.org/pdfs/whitepapers/3-23-08DiscoveriesArticle.pdf

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/maddiesfund/spayNeuter/young.htm

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
15 months in my opinion is plenty old enough. Its not worth the trouble and stress even more the risk of adding more dogs into the world.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dont i wish i had read up on neutering! I had Zep neutered at 6 months...vet's recommendation. He's just a peanut of a thing now and i believe that's from having him neutered so young. He's 75lbs, but not very tall (ok, i think he's "fluffy"...sure he could stand to lose a few lbs).

All in all though, i'm all for neutering/spaying. I want no part in contributing to this country's already appalling number of homeless animals.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
He's just a peanut of a thing now and i believe that's from having him neutered so young. He's 75lbs, but not very tall (ok, i think he's "fluffy"...sure he could stand to lose a few lbs).
75 pounds insn't really a 'peanut' for a golden. 66-75 pounds is the breed standard for a male. You may just be used to seeing oversized goldens.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Dont i wish i had read up on neutering! I had Zep neutered at 6 months...vet's recommendation. He's just a peanut of a thing now and i believe that's from having him neutered so young. He's 75lbs, but not very tall (ok, i think he's "fluffy"...sure he could stand to lose a few lbs).

All in all though, i'm all for neutering/spaying. I want no part in contributing to this country's already appalling number of homeless animals.
It's unlikely that neutering contributed to your dog's being short. In fact, one of the only well-documented side-effects of neutering at six months is slight extra growth in the long bones. Neutered dogs may look slightly taller and leggier if anything.

I've never had a fat dog, so I can't attest to the role neutering might play. I've seen a few numbers that say it has no effect on the weight, and a few that say it might contribute to obesity. Since my dogs get 99% of their calories from what I put in the bowl (and the other 1% from what they find afield, presumably), I wouldn't blame neutering if they got overweight either.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts