Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Hank has his date set which will be around ten months old. I have been told that after Snip-Snip that we will really have to watch his weight as it would slow down his metabolism. I was wondering if that meant following the amount of food that is listed on the bag or if that usually means less than listed. I guess I am just looking for what people have noticed. I know that every dog will have his or her unique reactions.

·
Tania
899 Posts
Pixie was spayed 3-4 weeks ago. Even though the vet didnt mention anything about reducing her food, at puppy school the trainer advice me to decrease it 50-60% for around 6 months (until the metabolism would be balanced again). I confess that that shocked me a bit, since she is still growing and I dont want to prive her from the nutrition she needs. I would rather check this with the vet!
I decrease the food a little bit, but I guess I compensate it with treats :p And we do a lot of exercise everyday (she is even starting to go jogging with my boyfriend).

I am curious to hear about other poeple experiences (Pixie is my first puppy, so figuring things out along the way!)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Hank was neutered at 1 yr. (he's now 3.5 yrs.). His food needs haven't changed because he's just as active as before. He gets 4 cups/day of Innova LBAdult. Not sure what the bag says. With that said, I do cut his portions back to around 3 cups during the winter when he's not outdoors as much.

I suggest just watching his weight and adjust his food portion accordingly.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Two of my dogs are neutered and did not really have a weight problem after neutering.
I think we are the weight problem for our dogs, lol. We tend to feed too much. I am also guilty as charged. But, I am getting better.
The feeding recommendations on the bag are only guidelines. Most of the time, I find the amounts listed on bags, way too much.
I would say, feed what you are normally feeding, if you notice him getting heavier, start cutting back.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, watch your dog's weight, if he starts gaining - then cut back his food intake. Until then 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it'.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I wouldn't worry about his weight because of the neuter but I do have to watch Jack since I got Seetie he really likes her puppy kibble more than his & I've already noticed him gaining some.Now we have to seperate them which is hard because Jack is a slow eatter

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
Gamber was neutered in Aug and I cut back some. I weigh him and that makes my decision. I don't want him to weigh more that 79/80 pounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts