Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Just got Tito's results and he, too, is clear. This isn't a surprise but is good news for his offspring, especially the 60+ who are out of bitches with very heavy field pedigrees.
Please keep in mind that this is not a field pedigree issue. It is a golden issue. I am happy to see the clears and the carriers! Hope for no more affected in any lines!

·
where the tails wag
13,345 Posts
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to those who quickly shined a light on this issue and those sharing their pain and struggles who are putting themselves out there.

The people at Uof Mo working so hard at testing, the OFA and k9data who are working to get us up to speed with testing as well.

Thank you all.

If you are following the progress of test results being posted on k9data, you'll see that the list of "clears" is growing rapidly, which is wonderful news for our breed.
There are a few "carriers" which have recently been added, but no "affecteds" have recently been added [of course, the lists will not reflect those whose owners choose not to (or don't know to) list them on the website].
This is great news for our breed.
With the knowledge gained by testing, we can get a handle on the disease.
We owe a "thank you" to the people who quickly put a spotlight on this disease, which limited the devastating effects.
FTGoldens

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Riot is clear. Waiting on Lucy.
Its so nice to see everyone getting on board.
The test is available in Europe too.

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
Absolutely, which is why I had Tito tested even though he's from all conformation pedigrees.
That said, to date the field lines have been much more heavily represented in carriers and affecteds.

QUOTE=Claudia M;7699272]Please keep in mind that this is not a field pedigree issue. It is a golden issue. I am happy to see the clears and the carriers! Hope for no more affected in any lines![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Absolutely, which is why I had Tito tested even though he's from all conformation pedigrees.
That said, to date the field lines have been much more heavily represented in carriers and affecteds.

QUOTE=Claudia M;7699272]Please keep in mind that this is not a field pedigree issue. It is a golden issue. I am happy to see the clears and the carriers! Hope for no more affected in any lines!
[/QUOTE]

One can only wish for the ones from 1985, 2007, 2015 to be posted.

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
And it may very well be that the reason field lines are so heavily represented is because they are, for the most part, the only ones doing the testing!

One can only wish for the ones from 1985, 2007, 2015 to be posted.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
And it may very well be that the reason field lines are so heavily represented is because they are, for the most part, the only ones doing the testing!

One can only wish for the ones from 1985, 2007, 2015 to be posted.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's necessarily so. I tested. All the breeders I know are testing, and we are primarily conformation. If you look at all the clear dogs, those kennel names are primarily conformation exhibitors. I don't even see a carrier from a conformation type breeder other than that dog Charger ... not that that is indicative really, and I am certainly not casting stones at all- supposedly there is a conformation pedigree w an affected litter from 1985, but who knows if that was even really the same thing- there are a lot of storage diseases. And with unusual things, misdiagnosis is a possibility until now w a test. I think the entire community is very concerned, I have never seen so many people order testing so quickly with no argument that it needs to be done. It makes me proud.

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
You're quite right. I looked at the lists of carriers and affecteds, not clears.

I don't think that's necessarily so. I tested. All the breeders I know are testing, and we are primarily conformation. If you look at all the clear dogs, those kennel names are primarily conformation exhibitors. I don't even see a carrier from a conformation type breeder other than that dog Charger ... not that that is indicative really, and I am certainly not casting stones at all- supposedly there is a conformation pedigree w an affected litter from 1985, but who knows if that was even really the same thing- there are a lot of storage diseases. And with unusual things, misdiagnosis is a possibility until now w a test. I think the entire community is very concerned, I have never seen so many people order testing so quickly with no argument that it needs to be done. It makes me proud.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
411 Posts
Speaker is also listed as clear now! This is all good news.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
We got our NCL test back today and we are clear!! Fireside Burning Giz-Moe, Moe to us. With everything we've had going on this was a relief.
Whew!! I am sooo glad for you! Go to his k9data page in put his results in. That'll feel proactive and encouraging to others who have the danger dogs we know of today
in the pedigree.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Whew!! I am sooo glad for you! Go to his k9data page in put his results in. That'll feel proactive and encouraging to others who have the danger dogs we know of today
in the pedigree.
Done and I also sent the panel into OFA. I'm not going to breed him, but figured it may help somebody. I know the breeder hasn't completed the testing yet. This is a big relief!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
It's great to know that so many owners are getting their Goldens tested for NCL!
I'm hopeful that the prompt action and rapid publication of the situation has curtailed the proliferation of the disease.

While I believe this to be a widely held opinion, at the risk of pointing out the obvious I'll say it anyway: There is not any reason or justification to blame anyone for NCL's emergence ... NCL was previously known only be a select few and it was not seen as a threat to our breed or any element thereof.

Since first hearing about NCL, I, among many others, became curious about where this dreadful disease came from. I know that there are speculators suggesting that they know ... heck, I've even developed my own opinion ... but at this point in time, I don't believe that anyone knows with certainty its inception. I anxiously await the veterinarians and statisticians who can give us some direction about where it came from and, more importantly, how to prevent, or at least reduce the risk of, another NCL-like situation without eliminating the ability to foster the passage of desirable characteristics.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
FTGoldens, thank you for bringing this to our attention and starting this discussion. Thanks also to those who provided information on how to arrange testing. It caused me to have both Gracie and Jake tested since each had a parent whose status is currently unknown. Fortunately both are clear and their status has been recorded with k9data.

In mid-thread there is a post which mentions the names of 3(?) past prominent dogs and seems to suggest that they were carriers. I found this concerning since I think at least 2 of them are behind my dogs as well as many, many other Goldens. There was no explanation of why these names were mentioned. Without any support for the comment it seems inappropriate to mention their names in this discussion.

·
Maegan
432 Posts
In mid-thread there is a post which mentions the names of 3(?) past prominent dogs and seems to suggest that they were carriers. I found this concerning since I think at least 2 of them are behind my dogs as well as many, many other Goldens. There was no explanation of why these names were mentioned. Without any support for the comment it seems inappropriate to mention their names in this discussion.
I completely agree. To assume that those dogs are carriers because they have ONE common ancestor with a dog in Russia that was allegedly found to be affected is completely unfounded and stating it as fact in a public forum is misleading at best. If those dogs were carriers, then there would potentially be many many more affected and carrier dogs considering the line-breeding that was done on them - particularly in conformation lines. Each time a dog shows up in a pedigree, the chances of homozygosity increase. It's a serious assumption to make with zero facts, excluding the one common ancestor with a dog in Russia.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following this question with interest. I'm not opposed to having Tito tested after the backlog of people breeding gets cleared up. But I'm not sure it's necessary. He's not being bred, so far none of the carriers are within his lines, and his youngest litter is over 2 and fine.

QUOTE=Sunrise;7694548]My Finch is probably pregnant - wondering if we should do the cheek swab or wait until the pups are on the ground to go in for a blood draw.

Since the testing is backing up and I have read priority is being given to tests for dogs who are related to known affecteds, perhaps waiting until the pups are born might be an option.

Are any of you testing retired studs & dams? If their puppies are still doing well beyond 2 years old?
[/QUOTE]

Following this question with interest. I'm not opposed to having Tito tested after the backlog of people breeding gets cleared up. But I'm not sure it's necessary. He's not being bred, so far none of the carriers are within his lines, and his youngest litter is over 2 and fine.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE test your dogs. None of the POSTED Carriers are related to yours, but even breeders that most of the community consider to be reputable do not post. Goldens are not my breed, I breed Pyrs, but we have a neurological degenerative condition as well, that has been in our breed for at least 40 years but was only identified and made public in 2015. One of the best k own breeders in the breed, highest puppy prices, judges, considered by many to be the 'best', produced Affecteds and concealed it from the rest of the breed community for decades. Even now, they only post results on Clear dogs, when there is proof that they are producing Carriers. They do not mentor their puppy owners to test breeding dogs or post Carriers. Carriers are being homed, on Full registration, without sharing information on the condition that causes an otherwise beautiful dog to be euthanized by age 5. Data is POWER. As the owner of a dog AFFECTED with a testable neurological mutation, please test and post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
While GRs are not my breed, I must applaud your breed community for addressing what I have just learned is a critical health issue for you. I Googled NCL after seeing comments in a FB group. The willingness to post test results, especially for Carriers, is refreshing. I am also thrilled to see intelligent and rational discussion on breeding Carriers to Clears and testing the resulting puppies! My breed is Great Pyrenees, and we too have a serious neurological condition, identified in 2015. The mutation has existed for decades, but was previously misdiagnosed or concealed by the breeders producing Affected dogs. Many breeders still refuse to test, and will not post results on Carriers.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts