Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow is Koda's first trip to the groomers, it was getting too difficult to do it myself so off she goes.

She is still scared of it all when I do it so I am just worried how she will react with strangers tomorrow...

Anyone else go through this with a scared pup..

·
And now our second!
200 Posts
I've been worried about the same thing with Loka. I want to take her to the groomers but I'm worried that if she doesn't like it it will set back all of the work we've done to get her used to being brushed. We're still not having much luck here at home though, and she does need to be groomed every once in a while. Let us know how it goes with Koda!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
A lot of times dogs will be better with people they don't know, especially if the person is a professional and confident. Owners, all of us, tend to be nervous if they know/anticipate the dog will be nervous or anxious and the dog senses that and it gets the dog nervous as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep taking them to get groomed and bathed. The more they go the more they get use to it, its normal. From my experience the groomer will never force the pup to do anything as to not cause fear of being groomed in the future. Take advantage of thos puppy packages at petsmart or petco as they are super affordable and a great way to help the pup get use to being groomed after 5 months the price goes way up....keep taking them...

·
Banned
38 Posts
It will be fine! Oliver is good about being groomed, so we haven't taken him, but with our basset, it was wonderful--she became sooo well-behaved for grooming! She'd stand like a statue in the bath, roll over and put her feet up in the air for nail trims, lay perfectly still for ear cleaning, then turn over for me to do the other ear--all because a groomer worked with her gently. They know their stuff, and like others have mentioned, they are confident and convey that to the dogs. Even though Ollie is good about grooming, remembering how much it helped with our basset, I'm thinking of sending him off just for the experience of others handling him. Let us know how it goes!

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
I took Bridget for her first grooming session Thursday.
She did great and had the run of the place.
I was surprised when I got there when she was standing at the desk...lol

They spoiled her rotten....(as if she's not spoiled enough.)

My pup gets groomed at the Vets, she has a girl that comes in.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Please let us know how things went, Koda's mom! We have the same thing coming up real soon with Tucker - wish we hadn't waited this long, but he hasn't needed a full body bath before now! Good luck - I hope it went well!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
How did the grooming session go?

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
OK, how did it go? Did Koda enjoy it? We want to see pictures if possible.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
A lot of times dogs will be better with people they don't know, especially if the person is a professional and confident. Owners, all of us, tend to be nervous if they know/anticipate the dog will be nervous or anxious and the dog senses that and it gets the dog nervous as well.
What Aislinn said. :D so resist the temptation to hang around. She'll do great.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm the odd man out here. We had a horrific grooming experience with Cody which resulted in him having a ruptured disc in his back. He was in excruciating pain, on 2 different opioid pain meds for several weeks. He had to be carried out to potty. Our vet said that at least in TX groomers have no certification or licensing protocol. He strongly urged us to never leave a dog where you couldn't watch what was being done. There have been several issues in our areas where dogs have been severely injured or died due to neglegance or incompetence. One dog died after being left alone on a grooming table and being strangled.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Yikes! Penny & Maggie's Mom did you find a groomer you could trust? I just thought an occ. full deep bath and good ear/nail trim by someone who knew what to do would be good, but heck I can do all but the nails and we are getting better at this. I take my yorkies to a groomer who now works at Petsmart but she has been doing my dogs for years. Honestly don't have a Golden groomer yet.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I agree, I much prefer to stay for a grooming session. There was a golden around here that got burned from being left unattended in a cage dryer. If I was going somewhere, I would be looking for someone that blow dries the dog by hand.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I do all of BaWaaJige's grooming but I want to show him this summer in UKC conformation so I called my friend a grand master groomer and asked about her experience with grooming goldens. 3mos ago she went to a groomers seminar that was all about GOLDENS!! She is excited to work on Jige this spring.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Well, I had Bridget groomed last week, at the Vets.
But when I came to pick her up, I asked to see where she grooms her, and was refused...she said if I slipped, or had an accident they could be sued, therefore no one allowed "in the back"

When I came to pick her up she was running free, in the office, along with a couple of other pups that belong to the Vet.

Made me uncomfortable.

·
Claire
641 Posts
Im a groomer. The dog normally calms down when the owner is gone. If the owner is nervous the dog will be nervous. In most cases, if the groomer is confident, calm and caring Koda will be fine and love it.

·
Claire
641 Posts
Forgot to mention, try to find a mobile company. I work for a mobile company, the dog is alone with me in the van. Bathed, toweled, blow dried. No crate in and out in about 1-1 an a half hours. They are happy, clean and right in the driveway of home.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I'm the odd man out here. We had a horrific grooming experience with Cody which resulted in him having a ruptured disc in his back. He was in excruciating pain, on 2 different opioid pain meds for several weeks. He had to be carried out to potty. Our vet said that at least in TX groomers have no certification or licensing protocol. He strongly urged us to never leave a dog where you couldn't watch what was being done. There have been several issues in our areas where dogs have been severely injured or died due to neglegance or incompetence. One dog died after being left alone on a grooming table and being strangled.
That's very scary. I was thinking more like just being out of sight. When Tess gets her nails trimmed she sqwawks if I'm around. But if I step out of sight around the corner she's fine.

With all this said, it is good to get a referral if you can. I gave up on the groomers attached to petSmart and PetCo. Used to take my cat for grooming and the quality was erratic and the stff turnover was huge. But Ive had very good experiences with the smaller owner operated places.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Forgot to mention, try to find a mobile company. I work for a mobile company, the dog is alone with me in the van. Bathed, toweled, blow dried. No crate in and out in about 1-1 an a half hours. They are happy, clean and right in the driveway of home.
What would you say the difference in price is? I've always assumed it would be much expensive to have it done at home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts