Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My neighbor has a pitbull that they allow to run loose. They also have a lab that wears a collar for their invisible fence. The pit doesn't, not sure of the reason. The lab is a big, friendly goof, the pit is stand-offish, stares and not friendly or approachable.

On one occasion the pit attacked my then senior golden, Maggie, while I was walking her in our yard on leash. The owner was standing there talking to me and proceeded to tell me what a sweet dog the pit is. Um, yea, I can see that :confused: The pit usually doesn't cause any trouble, since Hank is in a fenced area of our property (as was Maggie), she just poops then goes home.

My daughter spoke with them this past summer about the pit coming onto our property because my 4 y.o. granddaughter likes to play outside. We live on acreage, back from the road so she's safe. She asked them to keep their dog on their own property, and we would do the same with our dogs. Her fiance has a GSD and a golden puppy which he brings over often to play with Hank. The lady got defensive and said her dog doesn't leave the yard and wouldn't hurt anyone.

Well, nothing has changed, I've been keeping a record whenever I see the dog on my property. Usually once or twice a week. Another neighbor mention to me he saw the dog up by his place, and my mom, who lives across a field from us, almost hit it coming back her driveway.

This morning my daughter and granddaughter were getting out of the car and the pit comes charging across the yard. I don't think she was coming after my daughter & granddaughter but actually chasing my cat. But, had the GSD or golden puppy been with her crossing the driveway to go into our house what would have happened? Or had my granddaughter been in it's path?

She went over to talk with the owner again. The lady barely opened the door and started yelling at my daughter to get off her property. This woman isn't elderly or senile. She certainly knows that there is a leash law in our township. My daughter tried to explain that she's concerned about her daughter and our pets. Finally she just said, if we see the dog on our property again we'll call animal control or police.

I don't get this owners attitude. If one of my neighbors voiced a concern about my dog roaming and going to their property, I'd make some immediate changes... fence, invisible fence, leash only, whatever it took to contain my dog.

What would you all do? I'd hate to call animal control then have Hank get out and go over there even once and then have her retaliate. He's usually either in the house, fenced yard or on leash, but you never know.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That's a hard question. But I would definitely be concerned for my pets and the child. I think it would be worth the risk calling animal control to take over.

Kris

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Humane trap on your property, catch him, then call animal control. Let them deal with the owner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is something you don't want to play with. Several years ago my neighbors did the same thing; their 2 pits roamed the neighborhood and everyone just stayed quiet about it other than asking the neighbor to keep their dog fenced. This was a huge mistake.

The dogs finally climbed my fence and killed my wonderful, beloved terrier mix, my other neighbors witnessed it. They then ate him and drug away the little that was left. [I was hysterical for a long time after] Directly after they attacked one of my neighbors daughters and then killed a pomeranian being walked by on a leash and then down the street attacked a chid as school was letting out. This was all within about an hours span.

These two dogs were put down after this event, but up until then there were missing cats in the area but we all played nice as the owners would not co-operate and we tried to "mind our own business".

Don't make the same mistake as I did. Be as proactive as possible to get this dog picked up so that you and your family can be safe and perhaps the dog can be re-homed with someone who cares enough to keep it safe as well.

·
Lost in Fur Land
168 Posts
No question, call animal control. Make sure you note everything you have tried to do to resolve the issue. If it happens again, call the police and animal control.

There is a leash law, the law is the law. They need to own up and do the right thing.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Call animal control. If this dog has attacked your dog in the past, she shouldn't be roaming free in the neighborhood.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Call animal control and be sure to keep your dog off her property - better safe than sorry.

Pete

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Pictures of the dog, with the date and time stamp, of the dog on your property.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Call animal control. Even if at some time in the future your dog accidentally gets out I'm sure animal control would view that differently than a dangerous dog that is allowed to run free and constantly on other people's property.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I agree with everyone. Call animal control and give them the list you took of all the times the pit was on your property. Also, if you can, get your neighbor and your mother to call or mention they've seen it too. The more people the better.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I most definitely would call Animal Control. I can understand worrying about retaliation, but something needs to be done NOW, before there is an incident with another dog, or God forbid, your grandchild, or another child. They need to keep this dog contained on their own property. You should NOT be expected to put up with this. Please protect yourself and your family.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Another voice to the choir. On any dogs disposition as you are describing would be enough for me, adding pit to would make me even more concerned. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!!

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
Please call animal control. You and your daughter have been nice and asked for the leash law to be respected. Your neighbor isn't cooperating. I like the idea of taking a pic of the pit on your property, just in case your neighbor disputes that her dog had wandered. Good luck!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your replies. Hopefully since my daughter told the neighbor that the next time we see the dog over here we'll call animal control, she'll do something about keeping her dog home. I wrote down their address in case I need to make the call.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Well, this evening (after dark) my daughter went out to her car, suddenly she hears a noise and turns to see the pit barking and growling at her. That's it!
She comes in and calls the police. A officer came to get a statement then he went to the owner's house. Hopefully she'll keep her dog home now.

I'm thinking, are these people clueless? How can they allow their dog to continue to be a nuisance after being asked repeatedly to keep it confined to their property? :banghead: I don't feel we need to be concerned every time we walk outside after dark to our cars or the trash cans.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
That would definitely be the end of the line for me.

Yes, I think your neighbors are clueless. Hopefully the police officer will shake them up a bit. I'm afraid this dog might be more than a nuisance. Was the police officer supportive? Did you get a good feeling about it?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... Was the police officer supportive? Did you get a good feeling about it?
He seemed to be supportive and agreed. He mentioned that there are a lot of dog calls on our road. We live back a long driveway so I really don't see much that goes on. He also mentioned he had been called to their house before and asked if she was intoxicated when my daughter talked to her. Must be some other issues going on over there.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Pictures of the dog, with the date and time stamp, of the dog on your property.
This is what I thought at first.
But, since your neighbor is so rude, why even bother trying to convince her that the dog is on your property. Just call animal control when you see it roaming. Animal control doesn't tell the person who called. They just go pick up the dog and then call the owner (if it even wears a collar)

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
He also mentioned he had been called to their house before and asked if she was intoxicated when my daughter talked to her. Must be some other issues going on over there.
Lovely. If this is the case, you can hardly count on these owners to be reliable.

You need something to protect yourself until this situation is taken care of. I have no idea what that might be...pepper spray, a long hard stick, something.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts