Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got new neighbors 3 years ago. From the day they moved in we had to put up with their JRT marking our yard and back door. I have asked them to keep an eye on him. I don't mind him in our yard, I just don't like scrubbing my door everyday. When we got Sadie it got worse as I expected it would. She just says she can't find where he is getting out of, or her son lets him out. I have seen her open her door and let him out when she thought I was at work. :mad:. The past few weeks I have not seen the little white dog. I thought she was finally trying to keep an eye on him. We are trying to teach Sadie her boundry and she is doing very well. She stays close and very rarely ventures off our 5 acres. If she does I am right behind her with a treat to lure her home. I just found out they have 30 + free roaming chickens. The reason I haven't seen the JRT. Amazingly she can now keep him in the fence. Doesn't want him to eat her chickens. Now I am worried the chickens are going to lure Sadie and make boundry training more difficult. DH said I shouldn't worry about the chicks with what we had to deal with. I want to have a dog I can trust to stay in the yard and I can't teach her if I can't let her loose during play time. Should I keep her on leash at all times to avoid a raw chicken dinner, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing? I don't want to mess with her training nor do I want neighbor trouble. We do get along. Our kids play together all summer long. :confused:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Is fencing part of your land an option? We have 5.5 acres, part with a regular fence and 1.5 acres with an invisible fence. Of course the invisible fence won't keep the chicken out but if you're worried about them luring Sadie, it would keep her in.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Is fencing part of your land an option? We have 5.5 acres, part with a regular fence and 1.5 acres with an invisible fence. Of course the invisible fence won't keep the chicken out but if you're worried about them luring Sadie, it would keep her in.
x2. We just got our fence installed this afternoon. We had to put up with our neighbors ankle biter $hitting in our backyard.:mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fencing is not an option. The way our house and driveway are set up it would not function for visitors to enter nor would we be able to get our mower to what is fenced in unless we had a very large door. Plus it would not look pretty with our wooded setting. I hate the idea of electric fencing or shock collars. I hate the thought of shocking my baby. She is only 4 months old and not able to use one yet anyway. The main issue is they have always let their dogs run. The JRT and 3 labs (none spayed or neutered). She was going to breed 2 female labs with the 1 male lab. Put a 5 month old puppy in the kennel with her 3yr old in heat females. Recently they just sold 2 labs to pay for surgery of one that got hit by a car. I think they got the chickens so Sadie would cause us trouble. She is a very good dog and has learned recall very well. But she is only 4 months and easily distracted. Ex. chasing robins and doesn't realize she went too far. As soon as we get her attention she runs back to me for a treat. I just know when she finds the chickens we are in for trouble.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I really wouldn't allow her off leash now unless she has 100% recall, and I wouldn't allow her to wander off leash even then unless you are with her. Trusting her to stay within bounds is unfair unless you have a way of enforcing it. When she gets older, there will be chickens and squirrels and deer and the neighbor's dogs - all exciting her prey drive. Fighting instinct is hard even with a fence. My brother's GSD would jump a six foot wall whenever he wanted to roam. Fortunately, we lived on the edge of town and he always came back. but I sure wouldn't trust it nowadays.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just thought golden's naturally stayed close to home. We have a friend who has never had a fence and their dog never leaves the yard. Even when they are not home. I just thought that Sadie would do the same. Of course I would never leave her out if we were not home. We live in the middle of a wooded area. Hundreds of acres behind and to the side of us. Then our neighbors who own 7 acres with hundreds of wooded next on the other side of them. I never leave her out unless myself or my husband is with her. She is not allowed to roam. We are with her within 50 ft at all times. As soon as she is too far we bring her back with a high value treat. If I have to go to her. I leash her if she is not where I want her to be. Walk her to where she is to be and treat her. Everyday we walk the perimeter on leash. At play time and training she is off leash. Playing fetch, go find it ect. I do know it will not be easy. We never scold her just reward her for recall. If she does start ignoring the recall command then she will be leashed. Until then I plan on doing what I am doing. The neighbor has no control over her dog. She has to tie him in a fenced in yard. I have never seen any of her dogs on a leash. Last night, when her chickens were cooped up & she thought we were in for the night the JRT was lifting his leg and dumping in my yard. :mad: If one of her chickens become supper because it ends up in our berry field I'm not going to loose sleep over it. But if Sadie wanders 300ft further than she is supposed to, that will be my fault. I can't see that happening. I'm just frustrated. I'm trying to train my dog and others just leave theirs do what they want & blame it on their kid for leaving the door open. :doh:

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Frankly, if I saw that dog in my yard again using it as a toilet I would spray it with the hose or maybe blast an air horn at it or do SOMETHING to scare it off. Maybe it just needs to learn that your yard is a scary place, lol. Otherwise I would threaten your neighbor with calling animal control - a loose dog is a loose dog, regardless of whether it's your neighbor's or not. I know this isn't very good for neighborly relations, but I mean... this woman is knowingly letting her dog poop on your lawn. I think neighborly relations are not first and foremost in her mind.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think neighborly relations are not first and foremost in her mind.

I agree!!! Our kids get along. I don't want to create tension for them. I work very closely with the public dealing daily with neighbor issues. I don't want to have a 30 + yr battle with neighbors over dog poo. It's not worth it. I have asked her to keep an eye on him. If she is with him he stays close to home. It is when she is in the house and he is left loose it is a problem. I know she lets him out as soon as I go to work. I have caught her when on vacation. All winter I see his tracks in the snow new everyday right to my back door. I think she just doesn't want to clean up poo. I thought she learned her lesson when her red lab got hit by a car a few weeks ago for the second time. But I guess not. She said they got out when she fed them. Someone told me they saw her racing around the yard with her quad playing with the in heat dogs. Her dogs do not wear collars. She said they are up to date with vaccines and license but I wonder. Just glad Sadie is up to date and protected.

·
Supreme Member
4,621 Posts
I wouldn't let your dog off leash without you watching him or her.
Is there a dog park available for you to use?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Fencing is not an option. The way our house and driveway are set up it would not function for visitors to enter nor would we be able to get our mower to what is fenced in unless we had a very large door. Plus it would not look pretty with our wooded setting. I hate the idea of electric fencing or shock collars. I hate the thought of shocking my baby. She is only 4 months old and not able to use one yet anyway.
At 4 months, your girl is old/big enough. For ours brand it's 10 lbs.

It isn't really an electric fence. It's a buried wire that emits a beep as the dog approaches the boundary and a slight correction (much like a static shock we can get when touching something after rubbing our feet on carpet) if they cross it. We have the PetSafe brand which has 5 levels of control. We use level 3 (Warning beep + average correction).

Hank was around 9 months old when we put ours in (it took me that long to convince hubby since we installed it ourself) and a breeze to train. He did get the correction a couple of times early on. The first time was during training I let him get too close before pulling him back and he once ran through chasing the cat. We kept the flags up for probably 6 months to help him with the visual.

Now he never goes beyond the boundary and is much happier to have total freedom to run, play and investigate without a leash or tie-out. I'm not constantly worried and needing to call him back. We don't leave him out there when we're not home and I do watch because we have some neighbor dog running issues as well.

If the dog is properly trained there is no reason for it to be shocked. I think once or twice is a good idea during the training process so they know the consequences of leaving the boundary. IMO, better a slight shock than being hit by a car.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I wouldn't put an ecollar on 4 month puppy. 6mos. you can phase it in. I wouldn't let a dog less than a year unless 100% recall loose in an unfenced yard. As for the chickens she WILL FIND THEM EVENTUALLY if they are free range they will make it to your yard. Don't forget about that Golden Nose.
I am also not a fan of letting dogs "free range" in an unfenced yard. To many things can wander into the yard that could be trouble and by the time you get there it's too late.
GinnyPA's got some good points

Neighbors dogs? Paintball gun

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am against any kind of punshment for my dog. Which is what shocking does. Whether it is called a correction or something else, I still see it as hurtful punishment. I don't want her to be fearful and stepping on eggshells afraid when the zap will come. I am against letting my dog run free. She is supervised at all times not running around outside when I am inside watching TV. A fence is not an option. DH would never go for it. With him it would be the mowing issue. Me it would look tacky. Electric shock only if needed for an agressive dog. Keeping her on leash at all times would not teach her boundries. Just make her want to run more when off leash. Experience from previous dog. Wonderful when on leash. Moment she was loose it took hours to chatch her. Never went far just would dart and run circles as soon as you got close. I don't want that with Sadie. I want her to come to me with a happy waggin tail no matter what the situation.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I am against any kind of punshment for my dog
Moment she was loose it took hours to chatch her. Never went far just would dart and run circles as soon as you got close
Good luck and best wishes to you and your pup. I hope your having as much fun with your new pup as I am mine. Puppies are great!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Radarsdad: That is exactly why I do not want to leash my NEW dog 24-7. The reason my Collie mix would play catch me for hours was because she was constantly leashed. I don't want that with Sadie. She is only off leash during outdoor training and one on one playtime. She is never off leash unsupervised.

She is a blast and a joy. Will listen better than my kids. :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
She is a blast and a joy. Will listen better than my kids.
Funny you should mention that ALL of my dogs listened better than my kids

Didn't have to sign a single note home!!!! No teacher/principal meetings either

1 - 15 of 15 Posts