Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Maria
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, some neighbor kids (brother and sister) got a small terrier mix puppy. I'm not sure of the exact weight or age, but definitely under 10 pounds, and definitely a baby pup. Yesterday when Pluto and I were on a short walk/potty break, I saw the little boy holding the pup by its hind legs, with the pup hanging over his back while he was running around in circles. Later on as Pluto and I went back around (we walk in a circle around the complex), I saw him say to his sister, "see if you can catch him!" and threw him (she did catch him, thank goodness). I spoke with one of my neighbors, and he said that he saw the boy hit the pup in the face for no reason, and that those kids should not have a dog, which I completely agree with! And all of this was witnessed in just ONE day, in ONE potty outing (a span of 10 minutes tops), so who KNOWS what else might be going on! :uhoh: :mad:

I was wondering, is there something I could/should do?? I don't want to go to war with my neighbors, but that pup really is adorable, and living beings don't deserve to be treated that way. I am almost certain that if this continues he will grow up to hate the kids, end up biting one and being taken to the shelter. I'd like to do something before behavioral problems really develop and set in, or before the pup gets hurt, but I'm at a loss at what I could do?

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
I would take pictures and then bring them to the humane society with the address and leave without giving my name, number or address. Or mail them in town with the information and pictures with no return address or the address of the post office.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I would take pictures and then bring them to the humane society with the address and leave without giving my name, number or address. Or mail them in town with the information and pictures with no return address or the address of the post office.
ditto on that

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
In this day 'n age it's a tough call. People get very defensive very easily.

How old are the kids and do you feel comfortable approaching them? Not knowing their ages it's hard to know if they are intentionally being cruel or just too young to know any better. As you walk past and see them in the yard, maybe you could say something along the lines of "hey guys, you know your puppy is just a baby and could be badly hurt handling him so rough, they have to be held like this --> showing them the proper way. Then go on about how the puppy is a living thing that can feel pain and needs to be treated with gentle kindness.

If the are older and should know better, I'd try to talk with the parents.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
That is just awful. I worry about the pup getting hurt. I would call your local humane society and file a complaint.

Reactions: shortcake23

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
At the very least make the parents aware of what the children are doing to the dog, totally unacceptable. If the parents blow you off make them aware of animal cruelty laws in your state and the ramifications of such.

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts

How old are the kids and do you feel comfortable approaching them? Not knowing their ages it's hard to know if they are intentionally being cruel or just too young to know any better. As you walk past and see them in the yard, maybe you could say something along the lines of "hey guys, you know your puppy is just a baby and could be badly hurt handling him so rough, they have to be held like this --> showing them the proper way. Then go on about how the puppy is a living thing that can feel pain and needs to be treated with gentle kindness.

Ditto on this, if this doesn't work then....

ditto on this.

·
Maria
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We live in an apartment complex so I don't know their exact address, and it would be a little difficult to get evidence since I work full time and don't know when they are outside with the pup. But if that's what I have to do, I'll do it. I'll pry a little bit to see where it is they live (I think I have an idea, and I probably could ask one of my other neighbors to confirm it). I suppose that it will be a process, and I'll carry my camera/camera phone out with me any time we are going outside.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
We live in an apartment complex so I don't know their exact address, and it would be a little difficult to get evidence since I work full time and don't know when they are outside with the pup. But if that's what I have to do, I'll do it. I'll pry a little bit to see where it is they live (I think I have an idea, and I probably could ask one of my other neighbors to confirm it). I suppose that it will be a process, and I'll carry my camera/camera phone out with me any time we are going outside.
There may be other neighbors who feel like you do, but leery of the nastiness of some people, who would help you get pictures.

·
Maria
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

The kids are I'd say between 9-13 years old. For some reason the boy is really afraid of Pluto (Pluto is a mix, so he's only 30 pounds) and I think it would be difficult to be logical with them when he's freaking out. Yesterday, when Pluto met the puppy, he kept saying "Lucky is going to get terminated by Pluto! Bring Lucky in [to his sister, Lucky was on a flexi leash] before she lets Pluto off the leash!" By the way, I had no intention of letting him off leash because he is not 100% trustworthy and cars do go by, and Pluto is great with dogs of all sizes (daycare or dog park at least once a week). Funny he was afraid of Pluto hurting their pup when... ??????? I could try reasoning with them, but when I was telling him that Pluto will not hurt him (Pluto even laid his head on the ground to play submissively with the pup) he just would not listen to anything I say. The sister seems to be more level-headed and I haven't seen her do anything of the sort, but for some reason will not scold her brother for doing these stupid things. She was scolding him for making those remarks when I was trying to talk to him, however.

I can't tell if they are actively trying to harass the puppy, or if they just don't know any better because I've only been around them in this one instance. Perhaps before I go to the humane society (while also acquiring evidence), I will try talking to their parents, but I'm not sure how reasonable they will be. I will try to find out where they live and when the kids are outside, I will make it known to the parents that their children are being irresponsible. I do feel like it's a touchy subject however, and I am afraid of getting a terrible response from them. I don't want them to think I am disrespecting them or their children at all, and I really don't want to cause unnecessary drama...

·
Charlotte
6,603 Posts
Poor puppy. I fear he is in for a horrible life. I would try to talk to the kids first, and if that doesn't work, the humane society.
I have a feeling the parents aren't going to be much help, given the kids behavior towards the pup. This is not normal child and his dog stuff.

·
Maria
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if the boy is special needs?
You know, I honestly have no idea. But the way he runs away from Pluto when all the neighborhood kids are playing with him (even this sweet little 4 year old girl absolutely adores him), our interaction yesterday, and your mention of it, really has me wondering... I don't want to assume anything but if so, then I already feel bad about defending Pluto yesterday :uhoh: and I don't know how I can approach him to let him know what he is doing is wrong...

·
Maria
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Poor puppy. I fear he is in for a horrible life. I would try to talk to the kids first, and if that doesn't work, the humane society.
I have a feeling the parents aren't going to be much help, given the kids behavior towards the pup. This is not normal child and his dog stuff.
You're probably right. I have a 6 year old sister and a 12 year old brother who absolutely adore dogs and would NEVER do any of the mentioned things. I have a feeling a meeting with the parents probably wouldn't go over well, but I may have to try for the sake of the puppy... The thing is, if I do approach them, and they get mad and don't do anything about it, then the humane society comes knocking on their door... they'll know it was me. I am so torn! I just want a peaceful living situation for myself, but I also don't want that poor pup to be treated in such a terrible fashion.

Maybe I'll try and talk with the kids, then the parents, then as a last resort the society?? My upstairs neighbor already agrees that these kids should not have a dog, so I may be able to have him help me, or at least give me some info. If memory serves me correctly, they live next door to my upstairs neighbor, or somewhere nearby. (A few months back their father asked if I would sell Pluto because he wanted a puppy for his kids, and gave me his address if I changed my mind or knew of any dogs being sold..............)

·
Maria
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Report Abuse | Humane Society of Ventura County

Note the statement -
No information will be released to anyone outside our agency except by order of the court
Thank you for the link. I'm not sure if what these kids are doing is actually considered abuse or ignorance? Would the police and the society even take my one encounter with them seriously? They are not trying to actually hurt the dog, but are doing things where the dog could get hurt. And I did not witness the boy hitting the pup in the face, I have only my neighbor's word for that. This is all so confusing to me. I think what I will first do is try to talk to the sister alone, and see what she has to say, and if she would be willing to improve that puppy's life. I do not want this to go on for too long; hopefully I will run into them this evening. I feel so bad for baby Lucky...

·
Maria
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How rude of me to forget to thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it and hopefully we can save this baby puppy from having such a horrible life. Wish me luck :crossfing

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Good luck!! I think you are doing the right thing, if I were you I would definitely do anything in my power to stop this behavior, including calling the authorities. Poor puppy! I hope things go well!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts
I wonder if the boy is special needs?
Whether he is special needs or not it is unacceptable. I know many exceptional individuals who would never ever harm an animal. These parents are responsible for their kids behavior. You teach your child to be gentile you don't just give them a puppy and turn them loss.

OP I never would have been able to keep my mouth shut. I know I would have sent the sister/brother to get their mommy or daddy and talked with them. I probably would have grabbed the puppy from them. You have more strength than I do.

I would also contact the authorities and have the other person who witnessed the events also call too especially the hitting of the poor puppy.

·
Kate
21,691 Posts
Please make a phone call asap before that puppy gets hurt. Don't talk to the people. Call authorities.

That is abuse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts