Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors have a mixed breed puppy, Marley, about a month older than Riley (that would make her about 18 weeks old) that they adopted from a shelter about 9 weeks ago. She is high energy and pretty out of control but very sweet and Riley loves to play with her. The other day we were out letting the dogs play and the 8 year old son asks, "Do you ever hit Riley?" Of course I replied that we did not and questioned why he was asking. He said, "My dad hits Marley." It was obvious that this bothered him very much. The other night we were on our way out the door for our nightly walk and I saw Marley in the yard. I was glad to see her out and started to take Riley over to play. Marley's dad scooped her up and said, "Oh no, she's in trouble." Both of the kids were out in the yard in their bath robes watching. I pictured him taking her into the house and beating her. The dog has not been to any puppy classes and it is obvious they have no control over her. The dog is basically paying for their neglect. I feel so bad for her. I bet she is back at a shelter before she is a year old. So sad.....

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
This is awful

this is just awful.

I guess unless you see them hitting her there isn't much you can do.
I would ask if you could take her for a walk with RIley once in a while, and if you see she is being treated badly offer to adopt her.

I agree completely that Marley will be back at the shelter, but I doubt very much they will keep her more than a month.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'd have a hard time knowing that she isn't being treated right. Maybe you could ask to take her off their hands?...Alot I know, but since Riley likes playing with her? Poor thing. I feel bad for her and don't even know her.:(

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
If I were you I'd get them a puppy rearing book from the book store. Say something like, you appreciate all the time they let their dog play with yours, you thought this was a great help to you and you wanted to do something nice for them. I'd also take the boys comment a lot more seriously than you have. We tell our kids when they are upset to reach out to a grown up they trust. He reached out to you. If you do nothing or let it slide, kids usually won't try again. If you didn't say or do anything, so why would the next person?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts