Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,
My now 4.5 mos. old female Golden is getting much better with housetraining during the day but is starting to get up earlier and earlier in the morning. Her meals are at 7:30am, 1pm and 6pm every day and poops after the last 2 meals. Right now her last out is at 10-11pm - but its just a piddle. When she wakes - she has to do a piddle and poop right away. When she was younger, I used to feed her later (closer to 7pm) and she would sleep closer to 7am which I liked. But I read dinner for pups should be no later than 6pm.

Today, I'll try to get her to poop at the last out - but I do not know what else to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would say try to keep the room as dark as possible, and 2-3hrs before going to bed remove all left over food or water to give her a chance to empty her bladder. Also feed her 5min later a day, till you get to feed her at the you want. The change is not much a day but in a week or two she will be eating at a better time.

What I did with Charlie is ignore him (although i was awake in bed) till my alarm went off, and I change the time of the alarm a little bit at a time, now he waits for the alarm to wake up!

·
First Time Golden Mommy
114 Posts
At night I have a blanket over her crate (On top, back, and all sides but the front in which I have the blanket 1/2 way down so there is plenty of airflow) that means "BEDTIME" During the day I draw the blanket up in front and open her door. She can sleep in there if she wants, but even if I close the crate door (when I'm leaving the house for example) I leave the blanket up during the day. This is a visable signal to her the difference between what's night and what's up for the day. It also helps keep out the morning light from her crate. She wake up around 6-7 right now for a pee pee break, but then I put her back in the crate like it's night time, and I get her back out at 8 or so for the day. I'm hoping eventually the 6-7am pee pee break will disappear! Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I'm not sure if having her poop before bedtime will change how long she sleeps in the morning. Molly will NOT poop if she's not ready to. If Molly whines before I'm ready to get up, I'll just ignore her.

·
Registered
684 Posts
LOL ... Káva usually starts stirring around 430 and will usually let me sleep in until 5am. If I am really tired, we go out and then I just put her back in the crate.

·
Under Napoleon's Rule
900 Posts
Sounds like you have it pretty good Tappster98 lol..7am is a sleepin!!..Napoleon was getting up at 4am everyday..he did need to go wees and poops..do you know how dark it is outside at that time!! lol If I put him back into his room he would whinge and cry and scratch loudly for 2 hours till he got back out..it doesnt help that our day starts at 5am but at the weekenend all we wanted was to sleepin!!~~this went on until he was about 6 months and then BINGO!! he didnt murmur a sound till we got up.....

·
Golden Dad
5 Posts
I am having this same problem with little Ellie. She can go pee and poo right before she goes to bed, but always seems to stur and want out again around 4 or sometimes earlier. She goes pee again (she will literally pee anytime her paws touch grass). Only once or twice has she let me sleep in until 7 or 8 and on occasion on the weekends she will let me go back to sleep a little longer. I attributed most of this as just normal puppy behavior, but maybe theres something else. She really seems to dislike her crate and wants to cuddle instead, but even when I fell asleep one night before putting her in her crate the same thing happened (and scared me pretty good when I woke up with a big fluff ball in my face!).

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
My Mav eats dinners around 7pm and has a treat here and there til about 9pm. I then cut off any treats and even water at around 9-9:30pm as he usually sleeps around 10:30-11pm. He sleeps silently until about 5:30am when my dad wakes up for work to let him out for about an hour, lets him eliminate and have a medium sized kong for "pre-breakfast". He wakes up again around 8-8:30am and then I give him another medium sized kong for the rest of "breakfast". He eats lunch around 12pm and snacks throughout the day before dinner.

Sometimes if I want some extra sleep I just put him back in the crate after my wake up call from him and I go back to sleep myself, but I'm becoming a morning person cause of him. Just thankful it's at the hours of 8am and not 7am now. I gotta try the blanket on top of the crate thing though, for now I just say "Goodnight"

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Sometimes if I want some extra sleep I just put him back in the crate after my wake up call from him and I go back to sleep myself, but I'm becoming a morning person cause of him. Just thankful it's at the hours of 8am and not 7am now. I gotta try the blanket on top of the crate thing though, for now I just say "Goodnight"
I wake up at 7:30 and feed Molly at 8; sometimes I'll go back to bed until 10am lol. She should be relaxing and staying quiet after her meal anyway :p: that means nap time for me :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am up early every morning usually no later than 6:30am. But when Kasey started to get up at 4:30am I was not having that! I took her potty and put her back in her crate. She usually cried a little but went back to sleep. It took time but she started getting up later and later and I kept up with taking her out and putting her right back in her crate. Now sometimes I am up and she gives me a look like "I don't think so" and goes back to sleep. This morning I slept late and didn't get up until 7:15 and she still was not ready to get up!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I wake up at 7:30 and feed Molly at 8; sometimes I'll go back to bed until 10am lol. She should be relaxing and staying quiet after her meal anyway :p: that means nap time for me :)
I usually sleep til 9-9:30 before I got my dog regardless of what time I went to bed. I only get less hrs of sleep because at 5, my dad's elephant feet wake me up along with him giving commands to Maverick wake me up. And sometimes going back to sleep ain't easy:(

·
Super Moderator
4,223 Posts
I gave up with Asia and just became an early bird with her:) Now that she is 7 she is finally sleeping in and I am so in the habit of early that I wake her up in the mornings:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Since my golden is only 11 wks..he is in a crate till a bit older at night and when we go to work. I found by folding several towels or quilts in the back of the crate , Murphy likes to go up there to sleep. Kinda like a loft. ha ha I cover the back of his crate with a sheet at night..and since its near the kitchen I turn the exhaust fan on low , for the humming noise, and the stove light. He will sleep till 7 am.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts