Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Need thyroid test advice, please

855 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  moverking 
#1 ·
Oakley has been having some skin and ear issues ( see earlier thread: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=63091 )

The good new is that the "rods" didn't show up in his last ear re-check, however, now both ear have that dark brownish "gunk" in them, Enough for a daily cleaning and we are still using Bayril in the ears. I talked to the vet about a thyroid test. She did a blood screen and a full thyroid test which she claims came out "normal". When I asked her if it was "low normal", she said "yes". So I voiced my opinion regarding the "low normal" for Goldens is considered "low"(after reading many threads here on the subject). She said that there is no clinical proof regarding those results and we should just watch Oakley and see if he gets better with the ears and the itching when we have a good first frost.
Do you think I should ask for a copy of the blood work results? Where can I get a second opinion without paying to have blood drawn again?
I paid $74.00 for a basic blood/ health screen and 37.00 more for the T4, total (add-on) thyroid. Oakley is only 2 years old and if it is his thyroid I want to do something about it now. I'm at my wits end :banghead:
P.S. I just ordered Dogzymes, in hopes that might help Oak., and thinking of switching him to Orijen 5 fish, grain free kibble.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dr Jean Dodds will give a second opinion. Google hemopet and you'll get her website and how to go about it. She'll also consult with you vet and work with them. She really is THE expert in this area. Several GRF'ers have done just that.

#3 ·
I would have to say YES, to your question, Do you think I should ask for a copy of the blood work results? I always ask for copies of every test that is done on our dogs. I file them all in a 3 ring binder for future reference. These results have come in handy many times. Our vet is happy to provide these...and yours should be too.

Do seek another opinion about the low thryoid. It is so easily treatable at this stage and very low cost. A low normal is definitely low for a Golden.

I know that it would be another test and another expense, but you might consider having a blood panel run for food allergies. Our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was having trouble and our vet recommended this. It clearly showed what ingredients she had difficulty with. When I switched her to a food without any of her triggers, her symptoms instantly cleared up. Just another thought.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
I went to my vet for a thyroid test with my 63lb 24.5" dog and said - he's hypothyroid. My vet (who has goldens) looked at me like I had three heads. In the previous three weeks I had noticed some lethargy, some loss of mental sharp-ness and some heat seeking behavior...since it was 20 below zero that week heat seeking in and of itself wasn't a GIANT red flag - but, I know my dog. He was not overweight (actually clinically 3-5lbs under weight for agility), his coat was fine, etc - no outward signs of hypothyroid. We tested and he was clinically low normal - just outside the range of when even my vet (again, goldens) would have recognized symptoms. We immediately put him on .2mg soloxine twice a day and within 10 days or so I got my dog back. That was two years ago, since then I've retested every 6 months and we only recently adjusted him to .3mg twice/day....(we also swim a lot in the summer - chlorine is known to affect thyroid values)...

Erica

#5 ·
Oh, yes...Dr. Dodds will even speak with your vet if you want her to. But there are vets that don't like to have their toes stepped on, sooo you might have to approach this firmly but tactfully with her and ask for a trial of Soloxine (unless you have the option of seeking another vet).

There is a load of supporting evidence for Goldens and low normal thyroid levels being treated. One of the most important finds is that early treatment can stave off the progression of thyroiditis.

Here's a link...Dodds has been wonderful to work with with our Loocie...
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/THYROID-ARTICLES.HTM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.