Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Need thyroid test advice, please

857 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  moverking 
I went to my vet for a thyroid test with my 63lb 24.5" dog and said - he's hypothyroid. My vet (who has goldens) looked at me like I had three heads. In the previous three weeks I had noticed some lethargy, some loss of mental sharp-ness and some heat seeking behavior...since it was 20 below zero that week heat seeking in and of itself wasn't a GIANT red flag - but, I know my dog. He was not overweight (actually clinically 3-5lbs under weight for agility), his coat was fine, etc - no outward signs of hypothyroid. We tested and he was clinically low normal - just outside the range of when even my vet (again, goldens) would have recognized symptoms. We immediately put him on .2mg soloxine twice a day and within 10 days or so I got my dog back. That was two years ago, since then I've retested every 6 months and we only recently adjusted him to .3mg twice/day....(we also swim a lot in the summer - chlorine is known to affect thyroid values)...

Erica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.