Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Need thyroid test advice, please

854 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  moverking 
#1 ·
Oakley has been having some skin and ear issues ( see earlier thread: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=63091 )

The good new is that the "rods" didn't show up in his last ear re-check, however, now both ear have that dark brownish "gunk" in them, Enough for a daily cleaning and we are still using Bayril in the ears. I talked to the vet about a thyroid test. She did a blood screen and a full thyroid test which she claims came out "normal". When I asked her if it was "low normal", she said "yes". So I voiced my opinion regarding the "low normal" for Goldens is considered "low"(after reading many threads here on the subject). She said that there is no clinical proof regarding those results and we should just watch Oakley and see if he gets better with the ears and the itching when we have a good first frost.
Do you think I should ask for a copy of the blood work results? Where can I get a second opinion without paying to have blood drawn again?
I paid $74.00 for a basic blood/ health screen and 37.00 more for the T4, total (add-on) thyroid. Oakley is only 2 years old and if it is his thyroid I want to do something about it now. I'm at my wits end :banghead:
P.S. I just ordered Dogzymes, in hopes that might help Oak., and thinking of switching him to Orijen 5 fish, grain free kibble.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.