Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am new to this list and have only been a listener until now. I am a Connecticut breeder. Something very disturbing has come to my attention. :doh: In yesterday's Waterbury Republican-American there was a article about St. Mary's Hospital Foundation Auction. Seems they are auctioning off a 9 week old Golden Retriever puppy. Folks we need to contact them and stop this!!! I need your help to do that. I have already written them and called them this morning. I think they should be inundated with calls and emails. Please call them @(203) 709-6390. Go to their website @ http://www.stmhfoundation.org/Contact_Us.htm Write the paper @ http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2010/01/27/lifestyle/family/463230.txt
Pass this on to all your lists. The more people that know about this the better.

Thanks so much.
Rose DeSantis
Broadway Golden Retrievers

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I emailed the President and sent this link http://grca.org/allabout/a_doodle-white.html#auction

Akk- I can't believe that they think that this is ok. I worked in an animal shelter for several years and saw how the "cute" factor of several animals got them adopted. However, the people didn't put much thought into their purchase. They were in the "here and now." After a few months, old Fido was back at the Shelter's doorstep. Only this time he was untrained, not cute and cuddly, and usually didn't get a forever home of his own again. I would hate to see this happen to a GR puppy. Who is his breeder giving him up!!!?

Does anyone have a link to where the AKC also frowns upon auctions?
Does anyone know someone on the board at the GRCA that could also pass the word around?

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
Hi Rose,

I will write too at length. I actually took home a beautiful Twin Beau D pup who had been purchased under false pretenses for a fund raiser auction so that she could not be sold that way. It is soooo scary to think of some guy having six cocktails, bidding on a sweet golden pup, and then realizing on the way home he doesnt want it. Yikes!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I forwarded your email to the rescue group I work with in CT, and I also put it on Facebook.
This is an outrage and I already sent off my email to the foundation.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Oh how sickening! I will e-mail them as well. What an outrage. Thank you for posting this!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I was just thinking... what kind of reputatable breeder would donate a "valuable" AKC puppy to an unknown fate? I would love to know who this donkey's behind is...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Done. And thank you for trying to put a stop to this.

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation auctioned off a Labradoodle puppy about a year or so ago.
When I contacted them about it, I reminded them that it wasn't only bad for the puppy, it was an ill-advised financial decision on their part, as any dog lover out there would more than likely discontinue donations to their cause. That's the important thing to remind them of - it's going to cost them money.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Shot off an email at them too with this.........
might be a bit rough but it's probably what they need.
=========================================

Oh, GREAT idea to auction off a puppy to the highest bidder as a "fund raiser".
What's next? Kids from Haiti ?
Only thing different there is you can't drop them off at the animal shelter to be killed after 10 days.
WLR
=============================================================

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
My friend here has a GSP, who was bought at auction by a couple who'd had too much wine and they paid $8000 for her, then tried to return her ot the breeder as she needed too much excercise, so he said 'put her in the yard to exercise' and they said 'we can't do that as she gets too dirty'.

So then the poor dog was given back to the organiser of the auction who didn't want a dog, so she tried to give her back to the breeder, but they didn't want her either, so she was given to my friend, luckily she is looked after wonderfully now, but went through a terrible 4 months of nobody actually wanting her!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for taking action. It will help.:crossfing This is not acceptable. I don't know where they got the puppy from. Definately not a reputable breeder.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I looked up the event:

How Much is that Doggy in the Window?​
Feeling lucky? You could take home the very first "Saint Mary’s Puppy"! Be
sure to keep your eyes out for this adorable puppy meandering throughout the
auction. It is a nine-week-old, home-raised, AKC-registered Golden Retriever.
The sire is hip certified, the puppy has been vet checked and has had all initial
shots and is sure to warm everyone's heart. This cuddly creature will make a
wonderful addition to any family. A basket full of creature comforts, collar,
leash, food and treats is included.​
Value: Priceless

Uggh!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Thank you all for taking action. It will help.:crossfing This is not acceptable. I don't know where they got the puppy from. Definately not a reputable breeder.
Yes. It's bad enough that puppies are treated as "things" to be passed around at will. But this is just a recipe for disaster. A BYB pup (with who knows what kind of health and temperament issues) being purchased, probably on a whim, and you have the perfect storm.
All you hope is that someone is aware of all that and would 'win' the pup to save it from a bad fate.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I looked up the event:

How Much is that Doggy in the Window?
Feeling lucky? You could take home the very first "Saint Mary’s Puppy"! Be
sure to keep your eyes out for this adorable puppy meandering throughout the
auction. It is a nine-week-old, home-raised, AKC-registered Golden Retriever.
The sire is hip certified, the puppy has been vet checked and has had all initial
shots and is sure to warm everyone's heart. This cuddly creature will make a
wonderful addition to any family. A basket full of creature comforts, collar,

leash, food and treats is included.
Value: Priceless

Uggh!

Oh. The sire is hip certified. Well okay then - I guess that's all you have to worry about. I'll second your "Uggh!" :mad:
They are right about one thing, though. "Priceless." Yeah, exactly. They ARE priceless. So they have no business being auctioned off like a material possession.
God this makes me so mad...!

If the original poster wouldn't mind, I'd like to cross post this on my GSD forum, as well. The pup may be a Golden, but the members there will be as outraged as we are and I'm sure they'll step in to help.​

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Done. I also suggested they go one step lower and auction off some orphans from Haiti, or maybe a child bride. Sent an email to everyone on that link too. Told them if I wasn't so far away I'd haul my kids and dogs down to join the protest too!

Lana

1 - 20 of 75 Posts