Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am in a real pickle here and need some help.

I am currently in a nursing home and probably will be for a few months.

Gilmour is at home and the neighbor feeds him day and night and takes him for a while some nights but he's all alone during the day and at night. This is so not right for him.

I need someone to take him out as a temporary foster in the Northern Virginia area.

Obviously the foster will need a home with the backyard that is fenced. Gilmour is an INDOOR DOG. Must not be left outside or Chained or roped up.
He belongs inside the house with the family and other dogs.

Gilmore is 10 years old but he is extraordinarily healthy and active. He has no medical issues whatsoever at this time.

I will provide all food and medical care costs as needed.

Keep in mind my healing process could take several months. I simply cannot let him sit at home that long nor is it in my heart to give him up to a rescue.

I also need the above for gizmo, My absurdly mild-mannered American shorthair who is five years old and also in perfect health.

Gilmore is due for his distemper and gizmo is due for his rabies vaccinations. I will of course cover all costs for this.

If you can give them the love and attention they deserve please step up and send me a PM.
Maybe include some pictures of the area they would be living.

I am heartbroken over this so please, call him if you can.

:)Larry

P.S.I've already gone to PACT for animals and then has gotten me nowhere.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I am so sorry to see this. I know it's very worrisome to you. I am not in Northern Virginia but if no one closer steps up, I could ask my husband about it. We're 4 hours away. One thing others may be wondering is how does Gilmore do with other dogs? I know he had Milo with him for a long time but a younger dog might be a different thing. I hope your recovery is speedy. My best wishes for you and Gilmore.

·
Super Moderator
1,672 Posts
I might be able to help out, as well, but I am in north central VT. The, "how does Gilmore do with other dogs" would be the same question. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Overall Gilmour has never had a problem with other dogs. Him and Milo lived together for 10 years and it was barely a spot between them. Whenever there was one you can be **** sure there was a Toy involved :)

Gilmore's only habit is that he likes to hop up for a kiss when someone new comes in the door. :)

His breeder who was one of the absolute best in the business (Lauri Demoux - RIP - Yes, Gilmour is an Oahu dog and the late great Mulder was his Grandfather!) was never able to break him of it.

He's just a lovie duvvy that way :). He does it as pure affection and absolutely loves to meet new people. He really really loves to meet new people.He does it as pure affection and absolutely loves to meet new people. He really really loves to meet new people.

I forgot to mention I will also be maintaining his health insurance during this period.

If anyone has to drive to pick him up I will of course cover your travel expenses.

I guess I should also mention that Gilmour is intact. That does not really seem to affect his temperament.

Gilmore is an exceptionally well bred dog and came from one of the best breeders there ever was. Anyone with a professional circuit knows who Lauri Demoux was.

We all know that things can happen without notice but right now Gilmore is an exceptionally healthy and vibrant 10-year-old. He does not show his age at all.

Gilmore is also a smaller size golden. His normal weight is around 65 pounds. I think he's picked up a few because everybody is loving him so much with treats LOL

Gilmore is a love bug. He adores people, he adores meeting new people, and will be at your feet 24 hours a day if you let him. He loves to hop on the couch and lay his head on your leg.

I have to go. I just started crying...

Anymore questions? Fire away :)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
My 86 year old dad comes by the 3 days that I work to let Rukie out. I'm afraid for him to get knocked over. I wonder if a rescue would do a foster and return him to you just to help out?

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,421 Posts
NuttinButGoldens, first of all, I am really sorry you're in a nursing home, prayers for a speedy recovery for you. I know you're very concerned about Glimour and Gizmo.

Are you still in touch with his Breeder?

I would check with your Vet clinic, they may have an employee or a client that can help you out with your pups.

I wish I lived up your way to help you out.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NuttinButGoldens, first of all, I am really sorry you're in a nursing home, prayers for a speedy recovery for you. I know you're very concerned about Glimour and Gizmo.

Are you still in touch with his Breeder?

I would check with your Vet clinic, they may have an employee or a client that can help you out with your pups.

I wish I lived up your way to help you out.
Unfortunately Laurie Demoux passed away a few years ago. She had beaten cancer like four times but finally succumb to it. She was one tough old lady, and someone you didn't want to make angry :).

Actually made an announcement about it last yearActually made an announcement about it last year

https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/our-thoughts/502762-laurie-doumaux-passed-away.html

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I wish I could help. I will put my thinking cap on for people in your area. FWIW you are living my nightmare, having to leave the dogs in temp care and not be able to be IN CONTROL...

·
Registered
602 Posts
I wish I would be there and foster Gizmo. I love Golden kisses too. I hope that the issue gets resolved very quickly and you will be soon get back to your health.
Please everyone , keep the post up by everyday commenting on it.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
I am so sorry. I wish you well and a speedy recovery. Are you hoping to keep Gilmour and Gizmo together?? I wish I could help you, it just breaks my heart.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Gilmour & Gizmo need your help dear Forum Members.
One day we might need this request as well.
If you cannot do anything , please keep the thread up!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Have you tried SEVA Great (Southeastern Virginia Golden Retriever Rescue)? They seem to really help people with Golden’s. I wonder if they couldn’t help provide a temporary foster. They are on Facebook.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Bumping back up.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have you tried SEVA Great (Southeastern Virginia Golden Retriever Rescue)? They seem to really help people with Golden’s. I wonder if they couldn’t help provide a temporary foster. They are on Facebook.
SEVA recues türkish goldens through AGA . They definitely have a portfoglio of fosters. It would be a great solution. And in the future the OP can also foster for SEVA. I hope she reads here and contact them 0:)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I am hoping you have gotten something worked out by PM or outside the forum. Please let us know.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Still no one with a big heart for Gilmour & Gizmo to temporary foster while their owner is in hospital???

1 - 20 of 67 Posts