Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Need some help!!!!

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Mindy72183 
#1 ·
Freaking out. Trapper started Sunday with flatulence and then had one bout of pudding like diarrhea Sunday night. Then a couple times on Monday, once during the night. Then over Tuesday night it was several times, I was up every hour with him having projectile squirts. So at this point I am worried and call the vet. Bring in stool sample and it is negative. Wednesday he is so so but then in the evening passes a quarter size piece of hard plastic. Was very energetic. Got bad last night and seemed feverish. Had diarrhea today that is like sticky tar and green. So I of course am really really worried and he is going in to the vet. I think it's a blockage because of the way he strains. He is only 9 months old. I am terrified of what it could be if not a blockage. Also my vet has a payment due in full policy but I insist going there because they are the best around. Any suggestions on what I can do if this turns out to be a costly surgery? Thuis wouldn't be a sign of a stomach cancer at such a young age? Also I tried the bland diet and that did not help, neither did fasting although with the fasting I didn't go a full 24 hours, it was about 16. Today he seems a bit lethargic. His appt. is in a couple hours. Any thoughts, prayers, help would be appreciated because I am panicked! Thank you.

#3 ·
Good thoughts for Trapper...hopefully it's nothing too serious. Please let us know what the vet said.

#9 ·
Is he eating? If he's not puking up what he eats, then it's not likely a blockage. And you'll often see straining with diarrhea... I think it's b/c since the poo is wet and stays on them, they feel like they have to keep "pushing" to get something out.

A 24 fast is a good idea, followed by the slow re-introuduction of bland diet that you stay on until you get a good, solid poo, then slowly go back to reg food. I'd maybe take another sample b/c sometimes what you bring in might not have the "issue" in that particular spot that they test, but another sample shows something. Hopefully you'll get some meds to help slow down the diarrhea while you fast and try a bland diet.

Relax and breathe. Your pup isn't the first one to squirty poo his mom into a state of panic! ;-) IMO, if he's not throwing up, it's not likely a blockage. More likely his system just doesn't agree with the plastic squeaky toy diet! Or it could be a little virus. Keep us posted!

#12 ·
cant reiterate enough....when you start reintroducing food...start bland and start with very small amounts 1/4 cup 2x a day for the first day... then increase slowly....
You can convince him to drink more if he likes ice chips or even a Popsicle....pedialyte is great but some dogs wont drink it...

#14 ·
The xray shows a piece of plastic in the intestine and the doctor said it is about to pass but there is a piece in the stomach as well which she said could be a cause for concern but not enough that she would do surgery. She thinks it will come out too but to call if it hasn't come out soon. He was prescribed Metronidazole and Amformal. She said he looked good and was very busy while he was there. (I had to do a drop off for part day) I am relieved. I guess one med is a antibiotic and the other is to slow the diarrhea. She said only rice for the next few days with a quarter of chicken if even that. When his daddy picked him up from the vet he practically leaped in to his arms. My sweet little boy, I think he'll be okay!

#19 ·
No, there is no blood in the stool or on the xray and that was a big concern of mine as well. wouldn't you know that what he already has passed came out completely round! Thankfully no jagged edges or anything. he wulfed down a bowl of rice with the meds and is now doing his usual of guarding the door to the kids toy room, lol. my baby, how i love him. :)
And what posseses dogs to eat non edible things???? Aiyayay!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.