Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. My wife and I rescued a pair of golden retrievers last fall. They are 15 month old litter-mates and while they are mostly good, they have some issues that are driving us insane and we were hoping someone had some advice.

First off, the pups like chewing on random items, such as shoes and remote controls (pretty much anything they can pick up and carry) as well as blankets. Is this just a puppy thing? Any way to stop it?

The second is that while the dogs are house trained, our female, Lucy, has recently had three accidents on the bed in one of the spare bedrooms. We have tried using cleaners that are supposed to eliminate the scent, but it's still happening. Any way to stop this? Should we just remove that bed altogether?

Thanks for your help and I hope this was posted in the right thread. Cheers!

Beau & Kelley

Attachments

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Bless you for rescuing your two pups! Chewing is normal and natural for most dogs, they enjoy it, it uses up a little energy and they seem to find it relaxing. So the best 'preventative' for chewing 'other' stuff is to 'puppy proof' (keep things you don't want them to have safely stowed) and to keep a supply of appropriate chews available to them and reward them for making the right choice. Praise and give the pup a treat! Make a habit of noticing and rewarding good behavior then they are less likely to find something to get your attention.
If she is peeing on the bed, (I assume it is a human bed) prevent access to that room, close the door or put up a baby gate if you want the door open.Keep an eye on her and make sure she gets enough opportunity to relieve herself outside, go with her and reward!!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
What a lovely pair!

Yes, Goldens learn about the world by smell and with their mouths. They do love to chew, but you can teach them what's OK and what's not OK. If you give a chew toy/treat praise when it is accepted and chewed. If the dog steals a towel, etc. it's time for a NO!, followed with an "approved" item. Pups sometimes steal something to get attention so you may need a "NO" and a time-out.

Goldens are intelligent and will soon realize that stealing/destruction gets the response opposite to what is wanted.

Lucy may be trying to claim something that is uniquely hers. I would wash the bedding and then deny her access to the area.

When the dogs are doing the "right" thing shower them with loving attention and they will figure things out. They are young, but not too young to learn.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I am just now seeing this thread, they are beautiful dogs! We had a lab-X once that chewed and got into everything. I became a very good housekeeper very fast; nothing on the tables, floor or counters. Toilet seats down (no drinking!), bedroom doors closed and trash cans covered. Good luck!

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
Ditto what everyone has said.

Keep lots of bones and toys on hand for chewing. I like femur bones rather than rawhides... they look like this:

Also do what others have said and reward appropriate chewing while re-directing undesired chewing (i.e. remotes) to a more desirable (i.e. toy or bone) object. You might also want to try bitter apple spray if there is a particular object they like to target.

For the bed I would think it is hard to completely eliminate the scent off of a mattress since you can't throw it in the washing machine. I like the idea already posted of closing the door or using a gate.

Overall, be very vigilant when the dogs are out and consider crating them when you can't watch them to prevent undesired behavior that can't be immediately corrected. Remember that goldens love to please their owners so praise when they do what you want and a firm "no" when they misbehave is enough... no additional "punishment" should ever be needed.

Best of luck... they will learn quickly and thanks for your patience!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts