Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 year old female Golden. She had her first seizure in November 2014 less than 2 months after we moved. Since then she only has seizures when we have gone out of town and come back. Whether we are leaving her at her house with other family or at family's house. Also, it happens even if we leave for 1 night. I am pretty sure they are all related to stress. The last 2 she had this year (one in Feb) and one on Sunday, where clusters - back to back within 5 minutes.

Our vet is suggesting putting Dakota on xanax for 2 days before, the time we are gone and 2 days after. The scary part is 1. We don't know if it will work. 2. She claims the size effect is having a seizure.

We, of course, don't want to put her on something that could make a seizure. But she thinks keeping her calm while we are gone will prevent the seizure/cluster after.

Any opinions/thoughts?

·
3 goldens
11,906 Posts
I sure wish I could be of some help. Those seizures are scary. Our girl Sophie ( pass last Oct just shy of 13thbirthday) had seizures and it was only after the 2ed we realized, they followed her Bravecto chew! The 2ed time she had one a bit later, and then no more--but she never got Bravecto again. One thing I did learn was to put an ice pack on her lower back about waist level I guess you would saw, maybe a little lower, I learned of this after her 2ed one and prepared a zipper bag of ice to keep in freezer. Said use bags of ice, not those frozen cooler things. When she had that last one. I got the ice on her and it didnt' last as long and she came aroundmuch faste. And she didn't pee and poop on herself as with the others. I can't swear the ice made the difference, but I know it didn't hurt. I was surprised at how fact she came around and could walk. Good luck with you girl.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I also had a seizure dog and never figured out the trigger. She did not have them often enough to put her on anything. She knew before she would have them because she would jump in my lap before they hit. I noticed if I talked her through it, patting her, it would go faster. She was a rescue, so she did have anxiety issues. The last seizure she had, was the night we had to send our other dog to the bridge, she lived another three years with no seizures.

Not sure what to tell you. I have another rescue that I have issues taking to the vet. Takes three to four people to carry her in, she fights the whole way. Last time we tried to give her a tranquilizer, I timed it the way the vet told me - and she was worse! They told me that sometimes that happens because they fight being tranquilized.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I'm sorry to be so late in responding. Dealing with a beloved dog's seizures can be overwhelming. I say that from experience.

Clusters of seizures are very serious and can be fatal, so it is important to get them stopped immediately. I suggest taking your girl to an emergency vet, where they could bring the seizures under control. The can also do blood tests to learn a lot about the nature and severity. A consultation with a veterinary neurologist is also in order. At 8, seizures can have a variety of causes and getting to the root of them is key to successful treatment.

You say Dakota only has seizures when you have been away. Are you sure? Unless someone is at home with her 24x7, it is possible that she has seizures while you are at work, out to dinner, etc. That was certainly the case for my seizure dogs and it took us a while to sort out what was happening and how to keep them safe when we were away.

Keeping a seizure journal is really important. You want to write down the date, time of day, duration of the seizure, behavior during the seizure, what Dakota ate that day (including treats), any medications taken or applied, and any changes in the household such as new cleaning products, air fresheners, carpets, paint, lawn treatments...anything that involves chemicals. Your trips are certainly a factor to write down. You are looking for patterns that might reveal seizure triggers. That journal will be valuable for your veterinarian and/or veterinary neurologist.

Please ask all the questions you like and keep us posted about Dakota's progress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts