Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
So my partner likes Vegas and Phoenix, but to me those sound masculine...plus I think I have come across several Goldens with those names and for some reason I want to find something a bit more creative.
I agree with you - I think people would assume a Vegas or Phoenix is a boy.

Off your original list, I like Addie the best (because I like the name Addison). But I like Denver and Aspen if you want to link them. (Just consider what shortening Aspen would lead you to if you're calling her...).

You mentioned East coast.. so what about Ocean?

·
Registered
423 Posts
@Emmdenn - don't you live in VT? We have named quite a few of our animals based on places or things that were important to us. Had a cat named Hadley (a town we lived in when we were in MA - we also have "Granby" on a standby list); Derry, Dublin, Guinness (my housemate was an Irish studies major); Moxie was named for my housemate's favorite soda. I have a teddy bear named "Quoddy Bearfoot" (I bought him on a trip to Maine). Maybe grab a map of New England and look around for something that catches your eye? I'm sure there must be some cool American Indian place names that would be unique.

·
Super Moderator
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@Emmdenn - don't you live in VT? We have named quite a few of our animals based on places or things that were important to us. Had a cat named Hadley (a town we lived in when we were in MA - we also have "Granby" on a standby list); Derry, Dublin, Guinness (my housemate was an Irish studies major); Moxie was named for my housemate's favorite soda. I have a teddy bear named "Quoddy Bearfoot" (I bought him on a trip to Maine). Maybe grab a map of New England and look around for something that catches your eye? I'm sure there must be some cool American Indian place names that would be unique.
Yes we are in VT! So we thought about Addie (for Addison county where we live) which is high on the list. I also looked through the green mountain names and the Adirondack mountain names but most of them sounded masculine to me, except Marcy (Mount Marcy) but of course our friends have a dog named Marcy after the mountain. I guess Addie could also be short for Adirondacks as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I also looked through the green mountain names and the Adirondack mountain names but most of them sounded masculine to me, except Marcy (Mount Marcy) but of course our friends have a dog named Marcy after the mountain.
Hmmm...when I think of "Marcy", I think of either Peppermint Patty's friend, or Married with Children. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
For some reason we are having a hard time coming up with a call name for a female puppy. Coming up with Denver’s name was so much easier because we had visited Denver, CO and I’m also a John Denver fan and as soon as we thought “that’d be a nice dog’s name” it just stuck!

Now trying to come up with a female name has been harder. I want to have a semi-unique name that not a lot of other dogs have. It would be awesome if it tied into an east coast or northeast location and sounded good with Denver, but any suggestions that are not super common are welcome!

The litter will have a theme to incorporate into her registered name, but we don’t have a theme to go with just yet.

On our list so far:
Vail
Copley
Raleigh
Chatham
Geneva/ “Genny”
Wynn
Addie (We live in Addison County)
Well I get the Denver thing. We loved so much we moved there. From NJ. Big skiers. And I'm from Boston so that's the Northeast thing. The litter names are immaterial. Image how many litters they have to "name." I had one pup called blue. Because each pup had a different colored ribbon around their necks.

But we named him McKeag. It was a character in the book Centennial which is all about and around the first
I like the idea of basing names on mountains, bodies of water, and other natural things. Things like
-Appalachian (Polly, Shany, etc)
-Penobscot (Penny)
-Champlain (Lainey)
-Taconic (Coni, Nicki... Taco😂🌮)
-Acadia (Cady)

I am honestly the worst at coming up with names, so I will not take it personally if you think these are all terrible😂
I love your thinking! I know of which you speak....like Taconic. But it only matters to we who've lived there. And particularly if we still do.

ingai

So when you get the oup

·
Registered
808 Posts
How about Della (for Delaware) ? It's original and in the North East.

If it helps I'm right there with you. I'm trying to come up with a call name and a registered name. When you put the kennel name in and then the litter name in you limit your registered name and I like my call name to at least sort of go with the registered name. I also have a hunt trainer that prefers one syllable names. It's so much harder then you think. Every time I think I've come up with something original I run the call name through K9Data and there are lots of them.

·
Super Moderator
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How about Della (for Delaware) ? It's original and in the North East.

If it helps I'm right there with you. I'm trying to come up with a call name and a registered name. When you put the kennel name in and then the litter name in you limit your registered name and I like my call name to at least sort of go with the registered name. I also have a hunt trainer that prefers one syllable names. It's so much harder then you think. Every time I think I've come up with something original I run the call name through K9Data and there are lots of them.
Exactly! I think Vail is our top contender right now. I struggle with the one syllable names because I worry it'll be harder for the puppy to learn her name and listen to it when called. In the last day I've also thought of Delta, Jetta and Navy...not geographical names but unique.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for multiple typos and truncated messages. I'm a one finger hack on my cell phone!

But about names: since you haven't found what feels right, how about letting her tell you her name?. Wait, play, see her personality. See what she says.

I'm not I cd do that. I'm extremely attached to Italy, now our of work high end travel planner for individuals. I'm an Italy expert. Not bragging, it's just what I am. So I named my last boy Lucca. It's a small walled city in Tuscany.

My next? Romolo, one of my favorite restaurants in Rome..if I get a female she'll be Roma. Two syllables is better. Three max. Really milo will be Romo. After all you can't say...here Messaoitamia!!!
ania. mia! Come back, Giadalajara!.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes we are in VT! So we thought about Addie (for Addison county where we live) which is high on the list. I also looked through the green mountain names and the Adirondack mountain names but most of them sounded masculine to me, except Marcy (Mount Marcy) but of course our friends have a dog named Marcy after the mountain. I guess Addie could also be short for Adirondacks as well.
OK... some quick ideas (looking at a map of Vermont right now...)

Direy (Deary) for Adirondacks.
Shelburne (Shelly)
Sweet Champlain (Champ - I know, boys name, but you could dare to be different!;))
Jamica (it's a town in Vermont!)
Brookline (Brookie)
Dorset (Dorey)
Tabor (there's a Mt. Tabor)
Ellen (there's a Mt. Ellen)
Windsor (Windy)
Danby
Holly (there's a Mt. Holly)
Madonna (There's a Madonna Mounton - really!)
Bethel
Sharon
Pomfret
Rochester (Rocky)
Bristol
Charlotte
Peacham (Peaches!)
Calais
Cambridge
Georgia
Derby
Averill
Columbia
Granby

Got to run to Rally class... hopefully there's inspiration in there somewhere!

·
Super Moderator
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Bristol and Charlotte are on my list. I thought "Lottie" would be super cute, but my partner doesn't love either of those. @KK Taos I think we will narrow it down to a couple names and then wait to meet her to figure out which one seems to fit her personality best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For some reason we are having a hard time coming up with a call name for a female puppy. Coming up with Denver’s name was so much easier because we had visited Denver, CO and I’m also a John Denver fan and as soon as we thought “that’d be a nice dog’s name” it just stuck!

Now trying to come up with a female name has been harder. I want to have a semi-unique name that not a lot of other dogs have. It would be awesome if it tied into an east coast or northeast location and sounded good with Denver, but any suggestions that are not super common are welcome!

The litter will have a theme to incorporate into her registered name, but we don’t have a theme to go with just yet.

On our list so far:
Vail
Copley
Raleigh
Chatham
Geneva/ “Genny”
Wynn
I personally love Copley and Addie.

·
Registered
124 Posts

On our list so far:
Vail
Copley
Raleigh
Chatham
Geneva/ “Genny”
Wynn
I love the Colorado themed names! I am from vail, CO and that would make a cute, unique name.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If you choose Summit, our puppies will have matching names. I've had that one in my back pocket since last year. We should be bringing home our little girlie this winter. Our other dog also has a mountain name, "Rundle", after Mount Rundle in Banff, Alberta Canada.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts