Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5 1/2 month girl and she's a pistol. We had set money aside before we got her for classes but had some financial set backs and used the money for that. Anyhoo, we now have caught up and will take classes at the end of the month. My question:
Have we missed the training opportunity with her? We have done our best and at home she does very well with sit, stay, release and some leash manners but when we are out and about, NO WAY! She has no obedience---I can't get her attention.
She is so wanting to please but then again she is a crazy puppy. Is this preoccupation normal? Is there a "best" time to train her "professionally" Granted it is us who is being trained and boy do I need it...

I love her so and want to have a puppy that we can go hiking with and have her stay near to us. Go camping and "trust" her. I've read that some 5 1/2 month olds are trustworthy in that way... really??? What are they doing that we don't know?
Anyhoo, we love her, play, train and exercise her... Are we doing okay???

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Are you talking about off leash? I would not under any circumstances leave my 6 month old off leash. I do live in a suburban town, but even if I went hiking, I would not. I think for a puppy listening to those basic commands you mentioned and being good on the leash is wonderful. I also think that training is good at any age, but surely 5 1/2 months is still very young.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
It's never too late to train a dog...especially a golden who thrives on pleasing its people. One of my friends is running a 9r yr old rescue golden through her first basic manners course & she's a star pupil. As for trusting off leash, I wouldn't risk it until you've got a 100% reliable recall which from the sound of it, you've got a lot more work in store before you get to that point. If you want to afford your pup some freedom, buy a long lead.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Take the professional classes. It's never too late. I wouldn't trust any dog in an unfamiliar area off lead unless you are doing a off leash heel/hike in a safe area. I would not trust a puppy under one off leash. Too unpredictable and dangerous.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no, I haven't ever tried her off leash. I was referring to leash manners, she has none. She wants to meet every dog/human/squirrel/blowing leaf. I love all her "puppiness" and was wondering if these were normal distractions.

Thank you for telling me where we are at is normal. It's hard to do all of this without professional training but thankfully, we start Saturday family training. (searching for the wink-wink icon)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
very, very normal distractions...and pretty typical reaction to them.
I would be more worried if she showed no interest in dogs/humans/squirrels/blowing leaves...

It is never to late to train....ever.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouragement.
It's utterly impossible to define how much I love this puppy. She snuck into my heart and made it bigger. I knew I'd love having a dog but not this much.

Thanks to everyone and I really appreciate the words that it's never to late to train...ever...

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I think she's at an ideal age for classes. It took a couple of years for Penny to be trustworthy off leash. We worked at it all the time and worked up to it gradually. It was worth it because she's been trustworthy since she was about 4. It also depends on the dog's personality. Penny wants to be near us and is a little shy...not one to take off into the woods or across the street to chase anything.

But, almost all Goldens can eventually be off leash in some circumstances and can behave nicely on leash in all circumstances.

Enjoy the classes. I've always thought they were fun and loved working with Penny on a daily basis.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
My first Golden boy Sam was 6 months old when I took him to obedience class. I found that I was one learning more so than Sam. He had focus issues as there was a female in heat in the class, but I took home the techniques and tools I learned at class and worked with him away from distractions and he did beautifully. He became my shadow and could be off leash anywhere and would not leave my side. With my now Golden Nut Pup Ike, it's been more work and more reinforcement than with Sam. Ike is nearly 3 and still cannot usually be trusted off leash, but does know his commands and skills...he's just a bit hard headed at times and I believe Ike has a hearing deficit due to repeated ear infections when he was a pup. I sometimes use an E-collar, beeps- never shocks, when away from home and he does very well. I can trust him off leash in familiar territory with the collar.

I am hoping for the day when I no longer need a leash or collar with Ike, but that day may never come. They're each different.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, our pup has just turned 4 months, and she is very similar, in a quiet park she will sit etc, but if there is lots of distractions around, she does loose interest some times, and prefers to be nosey lol But.... I now take a pouch of real tasty treats, and use them only when I think she will be distracted, and they really do help, she finds they are more interesting than a someone just walking past us.

I have also literally just started taking her into our local town to get a little more used to seeing lots of people around, new environment/noises etc. I went yesterday and today, and I will only go as the town starts to close down (late afternoon) so it's not all too much and overwhelming for her or rowdy. She really enjoyed it :), but I'm only doing the quiet times for a while, and will build up over the following weeks, slowly.

She gets so excited with people, I'm also hoping with time she'll get used to seeing so many that she will eventually be a little less excitable.

Regards to pup training classes, when we took our Daisy, there were other pups of all ages, some over 6 months old, so it's never too late to start :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with everyone, it's never too late to train a dog.
I bought some dog training videos before, and the trainer (I forgot his name) in the video said its even never too late to train a senior dog, it's just takes longer as it may involve breaking a habit, which is generally harder than training a new habit, but its not impossible.
He also mentioned to just train basic commands (sit, come, down) on young puppies, and leave the more advanced stuff when they get older, let the puppy be a puppy.
That said, i think 5 and a half months is a good age to start. I got my previous golden when she was 5 months old, and she never had any troubles on her%

1 - 12 of 12 Posts