Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are many tips here regarding what to stuff Kongs with and what type of treats/snacks might be healthy, but I need some quick help. (No time to thoroughly search during munching emergency.) :doh: My Max has suddenly become a land shark & is chewing everything in sight - even though we thought we'd puppy proofed the place!

Can someone PLEASE suggest what I can stuff a Kong with besides kibble & peanut butter? He's a munching machine! BTW, he turned 16 weeks yesterday.

Oooh, someone mentioned cheese the other day in a thread - what kind of cheese is safe to use as treats?

Many, many thanks in advance!
- Trids (Stumped Mom to Ravenous, Chomping Max)

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Mix kibble with a bit of wet dog food - load into KONG and freeze. Takes longer to unstuff when frozen.

Shove a banana in there.

Baby Food

I've used most all types of cheese.

Lunchmeat.

A mixture of all the things I've mentioned - install in layers.

Wedge a giant biscuit in the hole.

Anything leftover from your meal? I've used mac and cheese before.

Cut up bits of apple or carrots.

The idea is to pack the stuff pretty tight up in there. The better he gets at unstuffing, the tighter you pack it. I really like the stuff-and-freeze method. Good to have two KONGS - one you can have in the freezer and one you can keep on hand for NOW.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK... this may be a dumb question but I gotta ask. Do they really get all the 'stuffing' out of there? It's been a lot of years since we had a puppy and Mac never really liked a kong but from what I remember the holes are not that large. It just seems to me there'd be little bits of 'stuff' left in there. How do you clean it?

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are all great ideas, most of which I either didn't think of or was afraid to try. I'm never sure what's safe for a dog, what might upset his stomach or give him the runs (or worse)!

I do have two Kongs, one for each dog & use them when I need to quiet them down or give them a break from each other. I guess I'll need to get another pair so I can stuff & freeze while one pair is in use!

As for them cleaning them out....yep, they do remarkably well, as far as I've seen. Although I'm not a master stuffer, so as I pack better, they may not be as efficient at cleaning them. I've been using a toothbrush for cleaning inside & putting them in the top rack of the dishwasher every couple uses.

Can't wait to try some of these "stuffing" recipes! Good thing I'm going to the store in the morning.... Thanks everyone!
- Trids

·
Laura
688 Posts
I have froze just yogurt in a kong before, other times I have frozen dog food, a broken up treat and some pumpkin.

Skylie gets everything out so good and fast that the kong looks like nothing ever went in it. Maybe I'm not a good packer, or maybe she just needs a bigger one... hmmmm.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yogurt?

Yogurt? Hmmm....sorry, I've to got to ask -

Just plain 'non-flavored' yogurt or is the yogurt with fruit (sweetened) okay? I'm heading to the store shortly and want to be sure he'll be able to eat what I buy. 'Cause I won't eat the plain stuff! :no: Yogurt would never have occurred to me as a doggie treat!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I haven't read the responses to your question yet, but here's what I've used (and I ALWAYS freeze it overnight, makes them work longer on it!):

mushed up bananas
yogurt
peanut butter
cheese
strawberry jam
apples
raspberries
baby carrots
mashed potatoes

pretty much anything and any combo of stuff... they arent picky!! :)

i use plain (not vanilla, plain) nonfat yogurt. i always check the ingredients and make sure it has the active probiotic cultures, and no added sugar!

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, missmarstar!

I guess he's gonna have a much widened treat selection now! I often have these kinds of thing in the fridge. I've heard so many horror stories of what can make them ill, I didn't want use "just anything" for the sake of convenience. These are great ideas! :wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.