Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have these pine cones. The tallest one is about 7 inches. I want to do something with them to use as Christmas decorations. I've thought about a styrofoam base with candles (tapers) and greenery, holly berries, bow etc.

Would you

1. leave them brown
2. tip the ends with white paint and glitter
3. paint them a very dark green and then tip with white/glitter.
4. Other_______________

Oops, forgot the picture:

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
I'd leave them brown and paint/roll them with glitter. :)

I've never heard of tipping them with white paint, so I wasn't sure about what to say about that. Sounds like it would be pretty with the glitter. :)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Glitter them only if you like glitter everywhere! I hate glitter with the intensity of a thousand fiery suns, but I know my hatred is somewhat irrational ;). I kind of like the idea of tipping the cones with white - I think that would look very clean and wintery.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love your description. I ride western BECAUSE of the glitter. ;-)

Glitter them only if you like glitter everywhere! I hate glitter with the intensity of a thousand fiery suns, but I know my hatred is somewhat irrational ;). I kind of like the idea of tipping the cones with white - I think that would look very clean and wintery.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
My dislike of glitter began 5 years ago when I used a bath bomb (basically a lump of sodium bicarbonate that smells nice and fizzes when you put it in water) on Christmas morning, and packed in the middle of it was a HUGE ball of glitter.

I spent the rest of the day looking like a Twilight vampire with really bad glitter dandruff. Ever since then when I see glitter I involuntarily shudder.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ya, that would do it alright!!!

I had a bit of nostalgia when I put my show saddle away for the winter. There were bits of glitter in the suede, just tiny pieces, but it sparkled. We had a fun season!

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
You could use something like this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Glitter-Spray-Ounce-Aerosol-Shimmering-Silver/dp/B000GLIZUK[/ame]

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
They also have glitter "glue" you use on clothing. The glue part dries clear and just the glitter shows. It would be more tedious, but you'd have good control over jsut where the glitter went.

It's in craft stores with the paint for clothing.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
I hate glitter with the intensity of a thousand fiery suns, but I know my hatred is somewhat irrational ;).
I thought the description was spot on for glitter - I'm going to have to find a place to say "a thousand fiery suns" today!

My dislike of glitter began 5 years ago when I used a bath bomb (basically a lump of sodium bicarbonate that smells nice and fizzes when you put it in water) on Christmas morning, and packed in the middle of it was a HUGE ball of glitter.

I spent the rest of the day looking like a Twilight vampire with really bad glitter dandruff. Ever since then when I see glitter I involuntarily shudder.
Thank you for making me laugh so hard! I needed it. :)

ETA: remember to wash the pinecones to get rid of any bugs before hand. You can dry them in the oven on low.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I used to make pine cone wreaths. Some cones I left brown, others I tipped white, and some I sprinkled glitter on. I used a spray on adhesive for the glitter. Once they were decorated and dry, I spray lacquered them to keep the paint and glitter in place and give them luster. If you're going to make a centerpiece to hold candles, then I wouldn't use the lacquer.

Good luck with your creations and post picks when you're done!

*almost forgot. I usually scavenged my own cones but sometimes I used cinnamon scented cones from the store. Really smelled nice.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I have some tipped in white paint (Im not a glitter fan) sitting in my Advent wreath with mixed greens (white pine/cedar/spruce) with some cinnamon stick and purple ribbon. Yours are larger....so scale up the idea a bit!

In past years Ive...
Put a bunch of white tipped cones in a large tall clear vase with greens and red ribbon - that was pretty too.

Attachments

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm going to spray paint them green, maybe with the glitter paint. There will be glitter involved. After I do that, maybe I'll see exactly how best to use them. I might add them to our train set, mimicing pine trees with snow on them.

Definitely will post pictures.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Why would they put a huge ball of glitter in the middle?! LOL, thank you for making me laugh this morning. Glitter dandruff....hahaha.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
One year I took pine cones, painted them silver and gold (we had a gold and silver theme that year) and put them in a big glass trifle bowl. I kept them on the dining room table.

We need photos!

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
I have some tipped in white paint (Im not a glitter fan) sitting in my Advent wreath with mixed greens (white pine/cedar/spruce) with some cinnamon stick and purple ribbon. Yours are larger....so scale up the idea a bit!

In past years Ive...
Put a bunch of white tipped cones in a large tall clear vase with greens and red ribbon - that was pretty too.
Oh! I've seen that (tipped with white paint) after all. That looks very pretty even without glitter<:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts