Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a boy and girl 7 month old litter mates. Awesome dogs! Exuberant, but polite greeters at home. I have cans with coins in them (wrapped in duct tape to mute them a bit) all over the place and if they get jumpy just picking up the can or a minor shake puts them in a sit or down. And they both grab a toy right away so they don't try to retrieve peoples limbs. Going to lots of classes and have in home training help.

Issue is when I take them on a walk by myself. People want to say hi. I can get them to sit, but both just want to grab onto the hands/arms of visitors. Not hard, just mouthy! Not a problem for people who know goldens but scary for the rest. I get so tangled in leashes I do a lousy job of controlling the mouthiness.

Any advice? Should I bring a can/toys with me? Will they outgrow this?

Thanks for any advice!!

Barbara, mom of Julie and jack.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It sounds like they don't have a solid behavior yet at home. I would do some practice in the house.

1) You have ONE dog on leash, the toher with a great chew toy elesewhere in the house, closed in a room. you have really great treats. your helper comes to the door, enters or stands in the doorway. You are standing as far back as you can. As soon as your dog sits, you feed a treat. The helper leaves, closes the door, comes back in. When your dog sits (no prompting from you), feed a treat. Repeat until he is automatically responding.

2) After this is going well, move outside iwth your helper to the yard...your helper is 20-30' away. Approaches, and about 8' away, stops. Your dog sits, you give a treat. Repeat until your dog is automatically sitting.

3) Practice away from home. Same thing.

And repeat all the steps with each dog separate. They should be good at it apart before you add in both dogs....then run through the above steps with both dogs on leash with you.

For now, I would NOT let them greet people on walks. You are more likely just going to compromise your training, they will practice undesirable behavior, and it's just not a good training set up.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Ditto. Take them out separately and work on the behavior. You can get a helper to 'meet' you outside and work on greetings.

With one dog, you can also feed a treat while the stranger comes up, have them walk around you and the dog coming closer and closer but not making contact. If the dog starts to act up, they can turn and walk away. If you don't know of anyone, find a local teen to do this (they usually post ads for yardwork or babysitting).

And until then, no meeting strangers if they're going to act up. If you can find locations where there are a lot of people who are going to ignore him then go work on things there (downtown when it's busy, where there are joggers going by, where we used to live it was mainly middle eastern cultures and most were scared of dogs).

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
One tool that has helped me immensely is the Easy Walker Gentle Leader. It is a walking harness. Do a search on Google. The reviews are very impressive and I have found it to made a huge difference to enjoying our excursions so much more. You will feel far more in control without hurting your dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts