Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has had a good experience with breeders in northern (or anywhere in California) please let me know. The more read, the more nervous I get. I love the lighter blonde golden/ european blocky head white ones.

Thanks all!:wavey:

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Nervous is good, means you are alert and taking the search seriously....frozen with anxiety is something else! :)
Read, study, learn from others, arm yourself with knowledge and BE PATIENT -- will be just fine.

A good experience with a breeder is not enough....many people have a good experience with a breeder until there is a problem. :)

Perhaps a better question would be: Does anyone know of a responsible breeder of light colored, Goldens in CA.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
There are reputable breeders of English type golden retrievers.... and there are reasons to like them so don't let anyone tell you that your preference doesn't matter. The problem is that as this type has gotten more attention the bad breeders have gotten more numerous....

Now a couple of things....Reputable breeders generally don't breed for color and while folks have preferences we don't like to hear the I want a white golden... it tells us that the person is going along with the fad and has not really thought out what they are looking for.

So first.... the color is "cream" and all of these dogs are registered as light gold.

Second the English Goldens website is back up and running and looking great. I am listed on this site as well as other reputable breeders. To be listed here you have to fill out an application have all clearances on your dogs that you are breeding etc etc. I would go to the site.... English Goldens in North America - Litters - Breeders - Stud Dogs
there is a link on the site to breeders by state

I hope this helps
good luck
S

·
Registered
668 Posts
Please see my blog link, below as my puppy coming home in 9 days is an English Golden. The initial blog posts are all about how I found THREE reputable English breeders, what to look for, and how I found them. None are in CA (and I live in CA), but it will give you a good idea of what to look for and my own personal experiences finding the right breeder. I felt it was worth travelling to get the right English pup if necessary. My breeder is in Colorado and only a 2 hour plane flight away...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
There are reputable breeders of English type golden retrievers.... and there are reasons to like them so don't let anyone tell you that your preference doesn't matter. The problem is that as this type has gotten more attention the bad breeders have gotten more numerous....

Now a couple of things....Reputable breeders generally don't breed for color and while folks have preferences we don't like to hear the I want a white golden... it tells us that the person is going along with the fad and has not really thought out what they are looking for.

So first.... the color is "cream" and all of these dogs are registered as light gold.

Second the English Goldens website is back up and running and looking great. I am listed on this site as well as other reputable breeders. To be listed here you have to fill out an application have all clearances on your dogs that you are breeding etc etc. I would go to the site.... English Goldens in North America - Litters - Breeders - Stud Dogs
there is a link on the site to breeders by state

I hope this helps
good luck
S
Be careful using that website as a be all end all. I know of two breeders listed who have used their stud dogs to sire litters from less than stellar breeders like Y-Rock Ranch. Shalva, this is directed at the OP not you. I've read your posts, and know that you would do thorough research.

Edited to add the breeders in question are no longer listed on the site. So nevermind.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Be careful using that website as a be all end all. I know of two breeders listed who have used their stud dogs to sire litters from less than stellar breeders like Y-Rock Ranch. Shalva, this is directed at the OP not you. I've read your posts, and know that you would do thorough research.
as with any listing you still have to do your homework but the listing is a good start. I know of reputable breeders who are not particularly selective about who use their stud dogs but they themselves have much higher standards about who they sell a puppy it is a conundrum.

Kelly, the puppies at eastshore are all spoken for at this point and the poster is looking for a breeder in the west, not all the way over here in NH. There are other reputable breeders of english/european type goldens than your breeder and Eastshore (who is clear across the country). I am glad that you feel good about Wendy at Eastshore, she and I are very good friends, I whelped her litter for her... but there are other breeders and this listing is a good place to start... but like the above states it is a listing and should not be used in lieu of doing homework

S

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
as with any listing you still have to do your homework but the listing is a good start. I know of reputable breeders who are not particularly selective about who use their stud dogs but they themselves have much higher standards about who they sell a puppy it is a conundrum.

It really is. I used to be a lot more lenient about my views on doing this, but the more I learn about the breed, the more I think it does such a disservice to the breed. Especially if the bitch has no clearances, is underage, or missing clearances - when that happens, as far as I am concerned, you are breaking the code of ethics.

But, I see it is a double edged sword - if you have a nice stud dog and are less than selective, then at least the puppies produced by the not-quality bitch will be better than they would if they were sired by a not-quality stud. So, on one hand you are helping out by upping the quality a little bit.

On the other hand, I think a responsible/reputable breeder should absolutely adhere to the Code of Ethics, and is a bit hypocritical to allow their sire to be used by breeders that are less upstanding when it comes to bettering the breed. Not only does it reflect poorly on the stud dog owner's lines (ohhh, but of course, these breedings are never listed on K9data.com, or on the responsible stud owners website), but it takes two to tango... and in these instances the stud dog owner would be contributing to breedings that probably should not take place.

Oh the dilemmas. It's a practice that 8-12 months ago I was okay with, but today, I am strongly opposed to. Though, I do see both sides to the issue.

Sorry for hijacking the the thread momentarily.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would just like to mention to the OP that Golden Retrievers from the UK are many different colours from dark golden to light cream, and if you should find a reputable breeder who breeds Goldens of the origin mentioned, the colour of the dogs should be immaterial.

Of course, many people do have preferences for colour, such as yourself, and that is absolutley fine, it's just that some seem to market the UK type golden as "creams" as if that's the only colour they come in. They are most definitely not!!

Good luck with your search, I hope you find a wonderful pup to love:).

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I would just like to mention to the OP that Golden Retrievers from the UK are many different colours from dark golden to light cream, and if you should find a reputable breeder who breeds Goldens of the origin mentioned, the colour of the dogs should be immaterial.

Of course, many people do have preferences for colour, such as yourself, and that is absolutley fine, it's just that some seem to market the UK type golden as "creams" as if that's the only colour they come in. They are most definitely not!!

Good luck with your search, I hope you find a wonderful pup to love:).
Tanya it is interesting because many european breeders and UK breeders seem to think that the marketing of "cream" is just how we do things in the states... and I keep trying to explain to my friends in the UK and elsewhere that it is not the case. Reputable breeders do not market there puppies as cream and it drives us crazy... it is one of the first things we tell folks when they are looking for a puppy is that as soon as someones site says platinum, rare cream, cream.... etc to look elsewhere.. no reputable breeder here markets for color.
s

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Be careful. If you search for dogs primarily by color, you're going to find lots and lots of bad breeders. There are good breeders of English-type Goldens (though not all the dogs are going to be light, and none of them are going to be truly white, since that color is not allowed in either the English or American standards).

If you like English type, that's wonderful, and you can find a good breeder. However, you would do yourself and your future dog a favor if you put color pretty far down the list of your priorities. Good breeders, by definition, breed for health, temperament, intelligence, and adherence to breed standard, not for a particular color.

I have never seen a single breeder who advertised "white," "light," "crème," "cream," etc. dogs who turned out to be a reputable breeder who followed all best practices. If you search by color, you're going to get people who breed for color, and that's not what you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There,

Check out Shades of Gold's Golden Retrievers (Home). Linda expects to breed her French girl, Jolie, next month. She is in Southern California and has been showing/breeding goldens for many years. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
I see that Jolie does not have her elbows OFA'd. Since this is typically done at the same time as hips, I would certainly want to ask the breeder about this. Also, since she is an import, you would want to get her pedigree and check out the clearances on her parents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts