Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Puppy-hugger~
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so bad seeing Vanilla (6-week-old puppy) crying all the way to the Vet's. I have tried petting her, using my baby voice to soothe her and giving her one of her favorite toys... but nothing seems to work or distract her. She just whines through the entire ride. She also lays both her paws on my chest and shoves her nose just below my neck; staying in that position for roughly a minute. Is this normal? :confused:

Is there any way I can show her that a car ride can be enjoyable instead of frightening? Or will this simply pass on its own since she's still only a puppy?

I'd love to hear your dog's first car ride story. :curtain:

-- Thank you in advance~ :)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
She is still a baby and everything is scary. Zoey I had from birth and she would cry in the car til she was 6 or 7 months old. I just kept taking her and ignoring the behavior. She would be crying and the other dogs looked at her like she was nuts. Eventually she got over it and loved to go in the car.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
378 Posts
Six weeks is very young! I wouldn't worry. I have a special chew toy & stuffed animal that I exclusively keep in the car for Winter, and got her a fluffy seat cover & seat belt. I took her for three rides a day, every day (school drop off, preschool pickup at noon, regular school dismissal)- minimum. Just keep taking her everywhere, and to places where she knows she'll get fussed over & petted- she'll learn to love it. Winter sat on my lap for the longest time, but of course, now she doesn't fit.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
Finn was a little whiny on his first car rides. I would put toys and bones in the crate with him, but it didn't really help. The worst ride with him was the first time we went to the vet. It's a 50-minute drive and he barked as loud as he possibly could the entire time. I was about ready to have a nervous breakdown by the time we got there! LOL! Fortunately he hasn't repeated that. He's still a little whiny on car rides, but now it's from excitement because we're usually heading to the park!

P.S. Vanilla is very cute! :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Tucker's first car ride was like 3 hours from the breeders to my home. He slept the whole way cept for when he woke up briefly to pee on my lap just as we were pulling off to let him out :lol:

Ever since then he's loved the car.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
I would use a crate with a blanket and special toys as was suggested. I use the same crate they are in at night and are comfortable in until they outgrow it.

·
Proudly Owned by Austin
440 Posts
I agree... 6 weeks is very young, she is going to be afraid at this time. But will most likely grow out of it. I would advise placing her in a crate, with her blankets and a toy. Try giving her a bully stick or something to chew on. Once she is old enough (and hence tall enough) to see things out of the window, she will start liking the ride :)

·
Murdock's daddy
174 Posts
We had a similiar problem with Maverick his whole 13 years. He was just so excited, he would never settle down. I have been wondering what we can do the next time around to prevent this because in the summer we head to the cottage alot and it was 3 hours of nothing but whining in excitement and when we got to the cottage, I just wanted to take a nap.

Our first dog was heaven when it came to car ride, within a mile he would be asleep. I'd love to know how I could train that into our next dog.

·
Duda and Summer's Mom
321 Posts
Summer is still getting used to car rides, so we have some crying and lots of barking the whole time.. she is getting much better though, so I would just give your puppy time, she is way too little :)

·
~DOG LIFE~
8 Posts
Your pup is still so young..
But this is what worked for me. Ignore It.. Don't reward it with a treat, attention, baby voice,,, turn up the music(just load enough for the pup
And ignore it the entire time.. When u make any motion of acknowledgement towards any bad behavior this crying will continue, chewing, nipping, etc it will continue.. Ignore it and take the pup to fun Places in the car most the time..
Just my two cents ; )

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I say ignore it also. If you comfort her, you reward the behavior. And take some short trips that result in something wonderful, like the park. also have her get in and out of the car and give her treats for it,without going anywhere. Try giving her melatonin for anxiety. I used to give that to Tucker in warm goats milk when he was young and fussing in the crate. Worked well with him. Google "melatonin and dogs " for dosage etc. But whatever you, don't fuss over her and comfort her--you are communicating to her there is something to be anxious about. And as others said, she's really little. (and so cute!)

·
Puppy-hugger~
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much everyone for different approaches and advices. :)

Six weeks is very young! I wouldn't worry. I have a special chew toy & stuffed animal that I exclusively keep in the car for Winter, and got her a fluffy seat cover & seat belt. I took her for three rides a day, every day (school drop off, preschool pickup at noon, regular school dismissal)- minimum. Just keep taking her everywhere, and to places where she knows she'll get fussed over & petted- she'll learn to love it. Winter sat on my lap for the longest time, but of course, now she doesn't fit.
I'm going to definitely try this.

They grow up so fast...:(

Finn was a little whiny on his first car rides. I would put toys and bones in the crate with him, but it didn't really help. The worst ride with him was the first time we went to the vet. It's a 50-minute drive and he barked as loud as he possibly could the entire time. I was about ready to have a nervous breakdown by the time we got there! LOL! Fortunately he hasn't repeated that. He's still a little whiny on car rides, but now it's from excitement because we're usually heading to the park!

P.S. Vanilla is very cute! :)
Same here, I couldn't calm her down for longer than a minute.

Thank you! Your dogs are amazing too~

Tucker's first car ride was like 3 hours from the breeders to my home. He slept the whole way cept for when he woke up briefly to pee on my lap just as we were pulling off to let him out :lol:

Ever since then he's loved the car.
Three hours is a long time. And I never knew they could pee on one's lap. :lol:

I told my mom once that she looked like she's about to pee on my lap but my mom said reassuringly that she would never do so. Now, I'm not so sure. :p:

When I first picked Gracie up from the breeder, she cried all the way home. Now she sees any open car door, shes inside!
Haha, how cute!~ :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts