Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
old but new
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help!: LOL.... Does anyone know the best and quickest way to get get a dog to stop jumping on people? Also, how do you train them to come when they are called...EVERY SINGLE TIME? Cadence is really smart...but when she is up to no good...I call her and she ignores me! She ignores my husband all the time! I need to fix this before she gets hurt or something.... Also...she jumps on my youngest and he gets pretty mad at her...he is not 3yrs old yet.... so when she jumps on him...she knocks him down. I want to curb this before she gets bigger and just wanted to know what the best ways are? I yell "no jump" but unless I am right there...she will continue to jump anyway! Just like a toddler...she is stubborn!! LOL

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
This all depends on your training beliefs. What works for one dog may not work for another. Try turnin your back to the dog when he jumps and ignore him until he relaxes. Or you can try to make the dog sit when he wants to jump and then praise/treat. Or you can take him out of the situation (i.e. crate) or you can use a drag lead and physically correct him. Depends on your skill level, timing and dogs personality.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Flora will come to me... 90% of the time, unless she's got her nose in rabbit turds or something as equally delicious.

I work with a clicker - in the house, I will call her to me, and when she comes, I click and treat. I'll also play "hide and seek" with her. I'll hide somewhere, call her over and over, and when she comes, I give her lots of hugs and a treat.

I also do this in the backyard. I will stand a short distance away from her, call her name, and treat her when she comes. I'm now able to say, "Flora come!" when I'm 20 or so feet away from her, and she will whip around and come bounding towards me.

As for jumping... I don't know. Our last dog was AWFUL with jumping, so I'm the wrong person to ask. ;)

And Cadence is just a baby, isn't she? Give her time, she'll be wonderful. :)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I yell "no jump" but unless I am right there...she will continue to jump anyway!
I am guessing Cadence was absent from school the day they went over the meaning of "no jump". ;) Sorry I could not resist.
The jumping on people takes time, patience and consistency to break. For evryone's safety you should noot allow a toddler to be with the dog without constant non stop supervision. And I do know how difficultit is to do this but you must really try. I believe in the dog weraing a leash when you know these occasions are most likely to happen and when she does jump up give a firm but not harh tug on the leash to get the dog down and say no as I give the tug. Keep the leash by the front door for when company comes so you can put it on her before you open the door. Tell everyone including company to NOT pet the pup when she jumps up.
As for the reliable recall this will take time, patience and consistency (see a trend here?). If you are not MORE interesting than what the pup is doing she will NEVER come. You have to make her think you are ALWAYS the BEST option. I accomplish this with treats, some folks use toys. I play a game where they are on a leash and everytime I call and they come I give them priase and a treat. If they do not come I "reel" them in like a fish. then i give the treat. the idea is to let them know when they come that they will get the treat. After they have this mastered we do this of leash. The key is to not progress to this stage till you are SURE she will come. You do not want her to fail. You can cheat sometimes and if she seems to be hesitant walk away from her, she will likely start to chase you, thus coming. This is all done as a game. The key is you must ALWAYS have that reward for her. And MOST importantly NEVER EVER correct her once she gets to you, no matter what it was that she was doing. If she comes she gets her reward and praise. If she thinks you are going to correct her when she gets there why would she ever want to come?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with ambika, we can't allow a dog to jump up on people sooner or later its going to to end up bad. I just adopted a new furkid he is two and has this habit it only took an hour for him to realize he got all the attention he wanted from me if he would sit down instead of jump up. I just say no jump, step back and allowed his momentum to bring him back down, and then reward the now standing on all fours dog with a petting and praise. Now I'm not bragging, I'm just allowing the dog to get what he really wants which is attention, and he still forgets sometimes, and I don't trust him to be perfect, so he will meet new people while I have him on a leash.

·
old but new
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

AmbikaGR...... LMAO!! Sorry! I guess it might have helped to add that she does know what "no jump" means...because we trained her and still do...with the leash on. She always has the leash on in the house! I know she finally "got it" because I would pull her off and say "no jump" and I would make all my kids walk away from her and give her no attention when she jumped..and it she got it! Only now, she is in this hyper stage...and very curious... and so she doesn't listen well anymore. I know its puppyhood but I want her to be a well behaved dog. :) She will sometimes listen to "no jump" with a loud clap of the hands...but when company comes...she is hell on wheels!! lol She won't listen for nothing!
Well...I guess the key is she is still a pup and she needs lots and lots more practice and training. I will just have to go get her nails trimmed so she doesn't hurt everyone when she does jump. Oh.... no worries....I ALWAYS have Cadence in her crate if I can't watch her around the little man! ;) Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Shelley is 10 months old and still jumps every so often but tell her No down and she listens, With Shelley is cause she gets too over excited shes getting better tho. Just keep doing what your doing and she will soon catch on.

With the coming when called Shelley will only sometimes come if i say Shelley come but what really gets her to come runing towards me is saying bye Shelley and turn the other way. When she comes to me she gets rewarded if she doesn't gets put back onlead for time out.Normally the bye Shelley turn other way works great as most goldens hate the thought of being left behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts