Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think we need to work on a weight loss plan for Koda. She isn't overweight but she is bigger than I would like her to be. Below are pictures of her now.

Right now we feed her 3 cups a day (1.5 morning and night) of Fromm Four Star Duck and Sweet Potato. We give her a banana and green bean Kong at night before bed. She gets treats randomly throughout the day since we are working on lots of training with her still. We use Charlee Bears (cheese and egg), Terra Paw freeze dried sweet potato and chicken, and sometimes string cheese or turkey hot dogs. (those are more for class though).

Any suggestions on what we should do to get her to lose some weight. SHe goes on three walks a day (the morning one is only about .75 miles so now a very long one). She plays outside or downstairs a couple times a day and on weekends she goes to the park and runs her heart out both Sat and Sun.

Is three cups too much? Is it the treats? Just looking for some advice on where to cut back.

Thanks..pictures:

koda weight loss 1.jpg

koda weight loss 2.jpg

koda weight loss 3.jpg

koda weight loss 4.jpg

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My dogs have a tendency to being overweight also.
When my golden Toby had TPLO, the surgeon told me that he should lose about 15 pounds. He recommended during each feeding to decrease the amount fed by 1/3 the amount. I feed my boys three times a day, because I am home. It worked like a charm for Toby. He lost the weight and has been keeping it off. (Feeding more frequent, smaller meals also helps, if you are home, of course.)
I tried the light diets before that and was not very successful. He gets regular food now and the decreasing by 1/3 each feeding helps.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
When we first got Ben, we were feeding him too much and he started to put on weight, especially when we added training treats and fish oil. So we cut back his food by 1/2 cup and added 1/2 cup of green beans to his meals. He loves it and his weight stabilized. The beans make him think he's eating the same amount as before and fill him up.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,575 Posts
I agree, supplementing with Green beans is an easy and quick way to get pounds off your dog. Be sure you're using unsalted Green Beans.

I've added various fresh fruits and veggies that are in season too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
We feed Mo Fromm (he's currently on Salmon, but he's had the Duck and the Whitefish, as well) and he only gets 2 cups a day (plus a lot of training treats and KONGs when we want him to relax) and he is exactly where we want him. He's also very active - lots of walks, games of fetch, puppy agility, and puppy flyball. I've tried green beans, carrots, and asparagus as a treat/food addition, and he eats around them! He doesn't seem to mind his 2 cups, though.

I'm not sure what the calories are for the Duck Fromm, since it varies from formula to formula, but that would be something to look at.

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
We wanted to trim Darby down a bit too, but he'd eat around the green beans too. The next time I tried it, I added just 2 beans and he ate them. Then slowly I added a bean or two to eventually a good handfull of green beans and he'll eat them now. I do know they add a lot of fiber and soft their stoools if you add them too quickly, or they did for ours.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I remember when Sammy was appearing overweight (even though she wasnt) my vet suggested just upping her exercise to see if that worked at first. my girl gained an extra 2 lbs over winter due to reduced exercising (it's hard to motivate myself walking when it's -30 degrees celcius outside lol). so far she's appeared to trim out a bit since upping our exercise (her vet appointment was in January). me and her walk approx 5 km everyday

1 - 9 of 9 Posts