Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden retriever just turned 10 last month. He has been suffering from hip dysplasia but no more than ocassional stiffness on certain days in the way of symptoms. Was still quite active, slower but active. Husband and I left for a dinner Saturday night and he was fine, walking around begging for food. Came home 3 hours later and he was on the floor and could not get up. When pulled to feet his rt hind leg was limp. X-rays that night showed no breaks or dislocations. 36 hours later he had not improved, had stopped eating & drinking could not stand at all and was very depressed. Took him to a teaching hospital today where he is in ICU tonight. They want to do MRI & are suspecting nerve damage. It seems odd to me that nerve damages would occur this suddenly and only in one hind limb. MRI is expensive and I have to wonder if it will truly get us anywhere. Half of me wants to take him to a rehab with a therapy pool and just try that route. He's NEVER been away from home overnight and I am going crazy here without him. Am wondering whether anyone had similar older golden, w/ bad hips suddenly lose use of one leg -- did use come back? Was it nerve damage or something related to the degenerative condition? What are thoughts on usefulness of MRI. Vets just seem to be guessing so far.

Any info is appreciated as I'll probably be up all night.

Many thanks to any replies.

Susan

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
It could be and now I can't remember the name, but my Spice had it at about 10 month of age, it has something to do with them growing to fast.

She was lame on one front leg and another in the back. The vet put her on Rimadyl back then and she was back to normals in no time.

Hoping for a good outcome, keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Just wondering, did the Vet question a possible stroke? The reason I say that is, a friend had a Lab, who suddenly lost the use of his hind leg, and showed some weakness overall. She didn't want to eat or drink, and was quite lethargic. Just wondering if that might be a possibility, as it seems to have come on so quickly from the time you left.
Aren't there other things the Vet could try, before having the expense of an MRI? Sending well wishes to your sweet guy, for a complete recovery of his leg. Please keep us updated. I understand how you are feeling tonight, and I am so sorry. It is so hard having them away from us.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome,
The stroke is exactly what I was thinking. Several years ago I had an american eskimo that had some nerve damage in his spine but it caused him to lose use of both legs. MRI's are expensive and may or may not show what could be going on. I was thinking maybe you could see a acpuncturist (sp) or dog chiropractor to see if that would help.
Good luck and hopefully it is something that can be treated. ((((HUGS))))

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I don't have any experience with this, but wanted to send good thoughts and prayers your way.

I did have one really old guy who would have a lot of trouble getting up, but massage and a heating pad would put him back to rights. I think your guy has more than that going on.

I hope your guy gets better quickly.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
How about the spine/ back/ spinal stenosis? Back issues come on like you describe, and look very much like legs/ hips. Is there spinal inflammation?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Did they try something like prednisone? If it is nerve related it could possibly improve with prednisone. We had a dashund when I was growing up that jumped off a couch & hurt his back causing both back legs to drag. Prednisone helped some & we later had surgery.
If they do a MRI & find something, are you going to have surgery? If you wouldn't have the surgery, why do an MRI. If you would have surgery, then a MRI might be helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts