Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 5 month old golden mix ever since i got her she has been a very picky eater iv tryed everything and she will only eat wet food. she has been on pro plan puppy and was eating 2 cans a day and now she will only eat half a can a day what do i do. at 5 months she is 30 pounds is that normal?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Vetman

Vetman

I will let someone else answer since it's been so long since I had a puppy.
Is she acting normal otherwise, drinking water and playing etc.?
Have you checked with the vet?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The thing to do is to not allow her to be so picky. She needs to learn to eat what you give her when you give it to her. At feeding time, put her bowl of food down and leave it for about 15-20 minutes. If she doesn't eat it or only eats a tiny bit and then walks away, pick the bowl up and offer it to her again a couple of hours later. If she doesn't eat again, do the same thing. A healthy dog will not starve itself. Constantly changing foods or adding things like wet food can easily turn any dog into a fussy eater. I would also cut out the treats until she starts doing a good job of eating her dry food on a regular basis.

As far as her weight, since she is a mix, it is hard to know if 30 pounds is her ideal weight. It totally depends on what other breed she is mixed with.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I would start mixing the canned with the dry slowing decreasing the amount of canned until it's nothing.

When we first got Hank he got a tummy virus and didn't want to go back to his regular food after eating boiled chicken & rice for about a week so I mixed some canned with it (also some cottage cheese or yogurt). Over the course of about a month I decreased all the added goodies until he was eating only dry.

A diet consisting of only canned food is not good for their teeth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts