Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Dustin - 2 of 4 core health certifications
(y)The good
He is VPI - Verified Permanent Identification.
Hips are Good
Elbows are Normal
(n)The bad
Heart Certifications is deficient as it was not done by a Cardiologist.
Eyes are expired.
His dad is missing an elbow certification which means he is untested or failed.
His mom was born in the US and has no health certifications. Since she was born here, there would not even be the potential for underage (for the US) foreign health certifications.

Bailey - 3 of 4 core health certifications
(y)The good
Hip are Good
Elbows are Normal
Heart has appropriate Cardiologist certification. They went a step further and had an
(n)The bad
She is NOPI - no permanent identification at the time of testing. You have no assurance these results really belong to this dog beyond trust in this person’s word.
Her eyes are expired
Neither of her parents have verifiable eye certifications. Also both of her parents have deficient heart certifications as they were not done by a Cardiologist. Both of her parents were puppies when bred to produce her.

It confuses me that this breeder seems very inconsistent from dog to dog and to the information on their website. Why are some dogs identified and some not? Why do some dogs have the Cardiologist heart certification they mentioned on their website and some don’t? Why do some dogs get PennHIP and some OFA?

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
It feels to me that this breeder is too wishy washy to be relied on. She changes providers for hips, seemingly for no reason but I haven't looked to see which have PH and when that was done compared to OFA.. Perhaps should do that before opinion given..

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Dustin- someone probably said this, but he has no depth of clearances- neither sire nor dam have full clearances, I would assume his sire failed elbows.
I wish someone had verified Bailey was Bailey when they did clearances- this is a minimum of three vets who do clearances and didn't ...

On the oddities on the site- Sage, for example, is claimed to have elbow and heart and eyes- there is nothing for her on OFA.
Malibu has nothing on OFA even though there are claims of OFAs.
Major- he has PH- oddly, done a month after the OFA elbows. One might think he may not have passed OFA.
And the breeder sent the 'outside' evaluation to OFA for listing- so that brings us back to why the foreign one (A/A) wasn't sent in to OFA..
I'd have a hard time 95% trusting. And I admit a piece of that mistrust is Yoder and Metts as last names on the pedigrees- these are Amish/mennonite names and this subset tends to do a really poor job breeding.
The other piece is Ms Metts seems to have imported an entire breeding program, so has little depth of knowledge as is evidenced by the choice of photos she's posting on her site. They do not show dogs of great structure. Just a white coat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m inclined to wonder if I recognised the photo of “Blue Boy” because they send out generic pretty puppy photos to purchasers... and use the same in their advertisements.

I may also have mistakenly thought a puppy Farm was a scam.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Buying a puppy from a breeder that you know to be unethical makes you just as unethical.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This could be an sheer coincidence, but I believe that the OP's breeder is Recherche Goldens. Mr. Blue and Mr. Green both appear on their available puppies selection. As far as I can tell, they claim to breed "white golden retrievers"

·
Registered
90 Posts
This could be an absolute coincidence, but I believe that the OP's breeder is Recherche Goldens. Mr. Blue and Mr. Green both appear on their available puppies selection. As far as I can tell, they claim to breed "white golden retrievers"
Interesting. The Recherche Retrievers website states that they are located in North Carolina. The OP said that her puppy is coming from Royal Retrievers, and I followed the link she provided to their Facebook page, and through that to a website for Royal Retrievers in Northeast Ohio.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
So,, either the photos were stolen or RR is tied in with Recherche- who as we know is a high volume breeder (HVB) and has other not so great reviews. They ARE in NC- Statesville, I think. Actually, there are a bunch of GR breeders in Statesville, only one of whom I'd refer a puppy buyer to.
That said I cannot find on Recherche those same photos. I didn't have hours to go thru the site, though, so maybe you did?

·
Registered
90 Posts
So,, either the photos were stolen or RR is tied in with Recherche- who as we know is a high volume breeder (HVB) and has other not so great reviews. They ARE in NC- Statesville, I think. Actually, there are a bunch of GR breeders in Statesville, only one of whom I'd refer a puppy buyer to.
That said I cannot find on Recherche those same photos. I didn't have hours to go thru the site, though, so maybe you did?
I didn’t see them on the Recherche site, but I also didn’t have time to search thoroughly.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts