Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a golden retriever and I saw pictures of the golden. It has white spots on its head, chest and paws. I have read other post that there are some goldens that have these white spots but in the pictures the dog dosent look like a pure bred to me even when the breeder said it was. Golden 2.jpg Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Hey! There can sometimes be white spots at first.

But something about this sounds very off. I would not proceed.

what’s the website for the breeder?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The hair on the legs in the first picture looks wavy, almost as if he’s a poodle mix or something. If you don’t trust the breeder when they say he is purebred, I would walk away. You want a breeder you trust to have a relationship with for the life of your dog. If you don’t trust them about him being purebred, how can you possibly trust them when they say the parents are health tested? Or “my vet says they’re healthy” like most BYB say.

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
based on the pictures he does not look like a pure bred golden retriever puppy to me as well. I'd say follow your instinct.. ultimately its your choice.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have seen some field bred puppies with quite a bit of white on them as puppies, but never that high on the leg. Toes? yes, but not up the leg. Sometimes toes and blazes color in as the puppy gets older, and many white spots are gone before the puppies go home.

The thing I noted about that puppy is that it has non-pigmented areas on it's nose, which I have never seen even in field puppies with a lot of white down onto the muzzle.

If it's a field puppy, it's a maybe. If it's not a field puppy, then it would be a no-go.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My gut feeling is that it is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Like 99% sure if you only presented me with a picture.
I agree. But I love Tollers. If you want a smaller than a golden but not a tiny dog...toller is a great choice!

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
I agree. But I love Tollers. If you want a smaller than a golden but not a tiny dog...toller is a great choice!
But a totally different breed and personality from a Golden. So make sure you research the breed and make sure you know what you're getting. They're not just smaller Goldens.

·
Puddles
3,831 Posts
There are many post on the GRF asking if their pup is all golden. The question is are you looking for just a puppy or a golden retriever. If you want a pure golden retriever with good breeding you need to adjust your search to finding a good breeder. A reputable breeder that works really hard to give you a healthy and well bred pup to enjoy for years. If all you want is a puppy, there are plenty to be found. The shelters are full of them and for me, I would prefer to give my money to support a shelter vs a person that's only purpose is to make puppies.
Choice is yours, if all you hope to get is a puppy... this one is really cute. You get what you get, enjoy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Our newest pup and his litter mates all have some white on toes, chest, and forehead. We were warned about this prior to their birth. The parents of the dogs were on site, we did notice some white on the female. That being said this breeder has been developing Field Dogs for a very long while. The health clearances were many and all good. The pedigree has deep titles both on Hunt Tests and Field Trials....and this is what we were looking for....we are not looking for any Confirmation work or breeding, so the white spots are of no consequence.

·
Premium Member
18,096 Posts
My gut feeling is that it is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Like 99% sure if you only presented me with a picture.
Toller puppies look visually different to me than Golden puppies. Toller's typically have liver colored pigment on their nose, around their eyes, and lips. This puppy has darker pigment than what I've seen on a Toller, but he does have alot of white markings so he could be a Golden mix, or he could just be a throw back in more field type lines that do have some white markings.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts