Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I read that the back of the bag isnt accurate with how much to feed your dog. I have some issues with math and a learning disability on top of that so I have a hard time figuring things like this out.

How many cups would I have to feed him to meet his calorie needs per day? He is 63 pounds and I just put him on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Formula

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hes not lazy and hes not active. On a normal day in the fall/winter he is walked 2-4 times a day. Each walk is 15-20 minutes long. ODDLY when his hips are okay for 10 minutes once or twice a week I will let him romp in the park.

I always could up his food intake by 1/3 a cup on days hes more active couldnt I? I just need a baseline for every day. The bag says 2 1/2- 3 3/4 I think

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
I would start with 2.5, and if looks like he's losing weight add a half cup, or a cup.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so how are you figuring this out? Theres so many calories per cup and he needs so many a day. So how do I figure that out? I wanna try because I could use this for feeding my cat and other dog to as I am just following whats on the bag now

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You know- I just go by my gut instint and how Lola looks. If looking at her from above( looking at her back) I see she has a waist curve- and if I can feel ribs( not that they are showing) Just FEEL THEM through the skin.... than I figure she is doing good. If your dog is looking rather torpedo like- no waist line.... cut back.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Okay so how are you figuring this out? Theres so many calories per cup and he needs so many a day. So how do I figure that out? I wanna try because I could use this for feeding my cat and other dog to as I am just following whats on the bag now
Not sure if you're asking how to do the maths when you already know how many calories your dog needs and how many calories a cup of food contains, or if you're asking how to work out how many calories your dog needs in a day? If it's how many calories your dog needs in a day then I'm not sure how to work that one out, I guess it all depends on your dog's age and how active it is. If you're asking how to work out the maths when you already know the calorie details then do this:

Take the number of calories your dog needs in a day and divide that by the number of calories in a cup of dog food. The answer will be the number of cups of food your dog needs in a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts