Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post here. My wife and I are considering a GR pup and we're doing our research. We've come across a breeder named Melanie Foster who has a litter becoming available in mid-December. The pedigree is listed here on K9data.com.

I am new to buying a purebred dog from a breeder, so I'm not completely confident in my ability to evaluate a pedigree. It seems that the sire is titled but the dam is not. However, in doing some Google research it seems that Melanie Foster is well-regarded and has bred several dogs that have titled in various areas.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. I feel a bit awkward posting this to a public forum, but I think it's a good idea for us to get some assistance since we're new to this process.

Thanks.

·
the party's crashing us
4,473 Posts
Melanie is one of the top field/performance breeders in the country. If you are looking for an active companion or performance golden you will not go wrong with her.
Best of luck.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
That looks like a very good working pedigree! Some awesome dogs represented.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
Melanie tries very hard to produce nice dogs. You may want to ask her about the goals she had in mind when choosing this pairing. Discusing the pairing and goals behind it may give both you and Melanie greater insight when selecting a specific pup from the litter.

·
the party's crashing us
4,473 Posts
Firemark
vs.
Star Crowned

In America you could not find two reputable breeders breeding different kinds of goldens if you tried :)
Melanie is field trial all the way and Karen is European show pedigrees all the way. Two very different animals.
Both are well known and reputable and great choices if their dogs fit your lifestyle.
But entertaining getting a puppy from either is like saying, "I need a new car but I'm torn between the Prius or the Hummer."
What exactly are you looking for in a golden?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a great question. As I mentioned, we're new to buying a purebreed. We've been a bit overwhelmed by all of our research, so it really helps to have a clarifying question like that.

We are looking for a companion animal that has a rock-solid temperament, is good with kids and has a moderate energy level. A field dog with tons of drive would probably not be right for us, but Melanie says that this particular litter should be "just the right amount of bounce vs the right amount of being a foot warmer".

I'm not sure what we should expect as far as temperament and energy level from Star Crowned?

Finally, there is a third option which is a litter from Artistry Goldens between Henly & Laira.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Good Luck! I will enjoy watching you make your decision...you are doing the right thing with all your research. I'm getting excited for you! :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Karen is a member here, and I have always really liked her advice and comments. I think she also has beautiful dogs. Not knowing anything about either breedings, my initial thought is that Karen's litter will probably be more along the lines of what you want for energy, but certainly the breeders know best, so it's best to ask them. Either way you are going to end up with a BEAUTIFUL golden!

I can't wait to watch yours grow up - be sure to come back and post pictures when it's home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Karen is a member here, and I have always really liked her advice and comments. I think she also has beautiful dogs. Not knowing anything about either breedings, my initial thought is that Karen's litter will probably be more along the lines of what you want for energy, but certainly the breeders know best, so it's best to ask them. Either way you are going to end up with a BEAUTIFUL golden!

I can't wait to watch yours grow up - be sure to come back and post pictures when it's home.
Thanks! We've had phone conversations with both Karen and Melanie, and they are both fantastic. I think Melanie's litter sounds like it might be a better fit for what we're looking for right now, but it's clear that they're both highly capable breeders.

The other breeder we'd like to speak with before making a decision is Rebecca at Artistry Goldens. Unfortunately she hasn't responded to email lately and her phone number isn't listed on her website. We have to make a decision on Melanie's litter soon, and we'd like to speak with Rebecca first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am curious to know what you decided as I am picking up one of the females from Melanie's litter this Saturday. We are super excited and can't wait to get our baby home. Melanie has been great through the entire process.
-B

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
I think Bogey's mom is giving excellent advice, and I agree with her. I share life with both a field style golden and a conformation style. Both are wonderful dogs, but the field golden at seven possesses 10 xs the energy as the other two dogs at ages one and two.
Grampa Bro, in the first pedigree, is one of the highest test goldens I can think of, and has produced many of the best working field dogs of our time. That is awesome if you plan to be very active with your dog for its lifetime( we are here, and do a daily off leash adventure despite blizzards, strep throat, hectic work weeks- never miss a day), but you cannot expect a pup from that pedigree to sit around too much. The Artistry pup seems like a good choice. I happen to love that performance level energy, and our household harnesses it, and maybe yours will too. But for a pet dog, I would agree with Bogey'sMom- just my two cents since you asked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts