Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi....I'm a new member and I have a question. I've never owned a golden retriever and my son (will be 13 yrs old next month) has wanted one since he was two. We have 2 standard poodles and a boxer all spayed females. Kept inside (sleep with us). My question is...do I get him a female or male?
Thanks in advance,
Lisa

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The only real difference between male and female goldens is personality. Females tend to be a bit more independent and a bit more serious and males are usually super goofy and over the top affectionate. They can be like velcro. Our male is basically a 70-pound lap dog. There are some females that can be just as goofy as males, but the boys are usually the ones who act like big, cute dufuses. :bowl: I love both males and females, but I prefer the males just because they are so silly. We are getting our second male this winter. I may eventually get a female, but for now I love my boys. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree. A male golden would be perfect for your teenage boy. A male will get along well with your female dogs.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
We have had both males and females and there are good things about both sexes. Currently we have a male and my family dog is a male GR as well, and I can't see myself getting a female anytime soon just because both of these boys are so affectionate and sweet! If you have 3 girls already, a male would probably compliment your pet family very well, as boys tend to get along well with older females.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I agree a male would be perfect for you're boy, I have two silly loving boy's and two very independent females..LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for the advice. It really helped! It must sound crazy to already have 3 dogs and getting another one. We love our four legged babies, and my son has been through alot of health issues. I'm afraid if I don't get him one now, I will always regret it. Plus, when you already have 3 what's one more. Just more to love.
I also own a grooming salon, so keeping him deshedded will be a little easier. ;-)

Now....how about name suggestions?

Lisa

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It must sound crazy to already have 3 dogs and getting another one.
Not crazy at all. :) We're about to get our third dog this winter. The litter was just born last week. We're getting him from the same breeder we got Tucker from. They offered us pick of the litter again and we couldn't turn it down. We also have a 10-1/2-year-old German Shepherd and 4 cats, so we also have a full house. I really don't care what anyone thinks. We love our furry kids. :bowl:

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I think a male golden will fit into your family just fine!!!
So glad you are getting one for your son. You will all fall in love!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm partial to males too.
We got our first Golden Sam for our then 9 year old daughter. Though meant to be her dog, Sam was my canine soul mate, or Heart Dog as they are also called, and my shadow. We allowed our daughter naming rights for both Sam and our now Golden boy, Ike. Your son might have some ideas of his own for what his dog should be named.

Are you considering a Rescue or looking for a Breeder?

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
momtomax: your signature pic is a good testimony of how a boy and his dog can bond.

Lisa67: Welcome to the forum :wavey:. I had always owned female dogs before I got Jack, 4 yrs ago. After owning him for just a few months I got my next golden puppy and decided on another male. I think they are wonderful! Good luck with whatever you choose....your son is a lucky fellow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prayed and prayed about this decision and last Sunday night at church, a wonderful lady (that didn't even know I was thinking about a golden) came up to me and told me about a friend's goldens having babies the night before. I believe that was a pretty good sign. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paula,
You are right....My son should and will name his dog. But....I know he will ask me for suggestions. Just wanted to be able to throw some good ones out there. I let him name our 8yr old black standard poodle, and he named her "Cork". From "Honey I Shrunk the Kids". LOL

Wanted to rescue, but I felt like this other litter was a gift from above. They were born Nov. 14 and will be ready Christmas day. He will get pick of the litter.
Lisa

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are my girls. Halle Grace - she's a 3 yr old boxer then Cork- our 8 yr old standard poodle, then Bailey Lane she's our 2 yr old standard poodle.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hmmm....what's an appropriate name for a dog going home on Christmas that's going to be your son's reward/savior for going through a tough time??? Too bad Jesus is already taken and would probably offend a few people :)

What about Christo?

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
I think I'd have to vote for a boy for your situation as well. We always have two goldens around and it's always a spayed female and a neutered male. With all your females, a boy I think would get along and fit in best.

My 9-1/2 year old boy is super sweet and sensitive and my girl is an affectionate but silly wild child (at age 7) - she has never outgrown puppyhood.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I totally agree on the male/female difference and I have found this to be true across other dog breeds as well. We had one female dog, a sheltie, and she was very independent. Since then, have had three males and all of them very much velcro-dogs!

Kris

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I totally agree with a male. With 3 females, I think a male dog would be perfect for your son, and they'll be best buddies immediately. And I have 3 dogs and 10 cats, plus 2 foster kittens and getting a foster puppy on Friday...so you are not as crazy as you think you are ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts