Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toby has had diarrhea since Monday and today has presented with blood in his stool. Up until now it has just been runny with some mucous.

I believe he ate a steak bone on Sunday that was left over from the dog next door. We share a yard.

Toby normally does not eat anything but dry dog food, Iams weight control and biscuits ior treats, NEVER any people food.

Monday after the first bout, I started feeding him rice with a small spoon full of 97% fat free crean of chicken soup for flavor and then read on the computer to use rice, boiled hamburger and low fat cottage cheese. He had that yesterday and once today.

I am extremely worried but it is Saturday and if possible, I need to hold off on any emergency treatment or exams until Monday due to the expense.

Does anyone have any suggestions, reccomendations? I desperately need your help. Thanks, Carol

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
A few questions!

Was the bone cooked, and how big was it?

Check out Toby's gums(crucial). Are they nice and pink? Greyish or white?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the bone was cooked...a T-Bone. I don`t know the size because I just discovered him finishing it. His gums are nice and pink and he has been drinking a normal anount of water.

Inside he is pretty laid back (always) but outside he is very active, even now, and wants to run and play ball as usual.

The number of stools has been low...2 to 3 per day and he has not had any accidents in the house. Just lots of clean up of his tail feathers. I am ready to start cutting, but he has such a beautiful butt, I hate the thought of doing it.

I am wondering if he needs to fast again.

I also know that blood in stool is or can be very serious. My husband and I are senior citizens and living on a fixed income, thus wondering about waiting until Monday. Carol

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You might call the emergency vet or if you have the number of your vet to see what they have to say. Do you have any pet insurance? If not you might consider getting some for future visits. It will cut down on your expenses. I totally understand about the fixed income.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Is it a LOT of blood? Trace amounts sometimes happen from overly irritated intestinal tract.

Personally, I wouldn't panic over a trace amount just yet. BUT, if it's a LOT and if it continues w/ each BM or gets worse, or you get vomiting as well, then my concern would grow and I'd be off to the vet.

Knowing he ate at least part of a cooked bone, I'd feed some bread to "cushion" what's working it way through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a lot of blood..a couple of clots smaller than a pea then he tried to go some more and it was just streaks of blood down his tail feathers. There is an emergency vet near by but I have heard they charge more than a normal person can afford. I have also read that you shouldn`t give a dog yeast therfore I wonerr about the bread.

I hope no one gets the wrong impression. Toby has been a part of our lives for 4 1/2 years and is the love of our lives after our daughter and granddaughter. Some things you just can`t do. We love him dearly and would do anything we could for him. I was hoping for some advice about diet, etc. until Monday morning. Carol

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
So, no poop, just blood? That's more concerning to me. I was thinking when you get poop and you notice trace amounts of blood in the poop. I don't panic then...

I'd be more concerned if the dog was straining to go, but only producing blood. That sounds like a problem that, at the very least, needs a call into the vet.

Bread is fine for dogs. When Quiz ate a disposable tin pan, I fed him about 6 slices to pad the gut.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
They can have the bread and it will help cushion it as it passes thru his system. Good luck!!!!

·
16,000 Posts
At the very least, you should be in contact with a vet over the phone. Take the dog's, temp, check the color of his gums, and check the turgidity of his skin for dehydration, provide this info and then do what the vet says. I'd be inclined to not feed him anything until at least speaking with a vet. 5+ days of diarhhea, now bloody, is potentially dangerous and too risky to guess about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His last BM was at 4PM. It had partially formed stool, some runny. mucous and the two small clots that I could see. He changed spots and tried to do more and that is when it was just blood...enough to stain his hair....bright red.

Our daughter, who is an RN says it sounds to her like he has Colitis. She has 2 Poms and they both had bouts of it with the same symptoms. I will be taking him to the vet but since around 5PM he has been full of energy, happy, gums are pink, no temp, no vomiting. You would never know anything had been wrong. I will call the vet...the best in the area...in the morning and hopefully she will say bring him in Mon. morning. Otherwise, I will do whatever she says. He has eaten a meal since his last BM of rice, egg and a small amount of banana. Just a cup full but he usually has to go pretty soon after eating.
Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate all of you. Carol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Toby's Mom- I hope you're little guy will get better soon! In fact, today we called Biscuit's vet because he's experiencing the SAME thing! Our guy did have giardia and it's been a bear to fight off despite a few rounds of meds, consistent good hygiene, etc. I thought he may be having a relapse, so the vet put him on Panacur one last time. We've checked his temp, gums, etc and everything is fine...along with his appetite and energy level. Hang in there...we were worried sick as well! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts