Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since my daughter is in college and doesn't really like fish (just shrimp and lobster) I am planning on having more and amore fish and seafood after the weekend. What i need is good healthy seafood recipes. The only way i usually make fish it to coat it with mayo and to broil (other than fried or chowder). If anyone has any good healthy fish, seafood recipes I would appreciate them. Then i can start a fish/salad/green veggie type of dinner for my dh and i.
thank you in advance
beth, moose and angel

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
One of my favorite dinners is salmon and broccoli.

What I do is I take a salmon fillet and put it in the middle of a piece of tin foil. Sometimes I'll put a drop of oil on the foil first. Then I put 2 chopped cloves of garlic on the salmon (I'm a garlic-holic tho, so that's totally up to your preference.) Then I put seven or eight broccoli florets (the little pieces after you chop the whole thing up) around the salmon. Before I close the pouch up I'll add some water so it will steam in there. If there was extra in the salmon pouches I add that for extra flavor.

Then I close the tin making a sort of "tent" for the steam to hang out in. Cooking time depends on how big the salmon is or how well done you like your broccoli. I like mine really soft so I do about 30 minutes usually.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love salmon and I think its just great real simple. Some salt, pepper and then bake it in the oven or on the grill. I also like to take chili flakes (red pepper flakes) and grind them in a spice/coffe bean grinder until they are powder. I sprinkle that on the salmon too for some extra spice and squeeze lemon juice on when it some out of the oven. The same goes for a while fish like sole or tilapia. Dill works well too as something to season salmon with.

Salmon is also good with a honey or maple mustard. Just mix honey (or maple syrup) with some dijon or whole grain mustard and some lemon juice until it tastes good :) You can mairnate in that (20 min or so) or spread a thin layer on before you cook it.

Tuna is also great on the grill. Again real simple with salt and pepper, maybe some toasted sesame seeds. Or marinate it with teriyaki sauce (Island Teriyaki by Soy Bay is a good one you can find in a store)

I also like to make either a cucumber and red onion salad or a tomato and red onion salad to go with fish dinners, either as a side or as a topper to the fish :)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I'm making this tonight:

Take tilapia fillets out of the refrigerator about 45 minutes to cooking. Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper (both sides). Leave out on the counter if your dog isn't a counter surfer. Just before cooking the fish, saute some freshly chopped garlic in olive oil. Remove the garlic from the olive oil and then put the tilapia fillets in the olive oil and saute for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side (until the fish flakes easily with a fork). Just before removing from the heat, squeeze fresh lime juice over top and then serve.

I am making spaghetti squash and have a loaf of whole grain bread to serve with it.

I also love tuna, but I make sure I buy the sashimi grade tuna and cook to between rare and medium rare, either sauteing in some olive oil or out on the grill.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
We like this one...

Shrimp Scampi Over Angel Hair Pasta Recipe at Epicurious.com

You can swap out the butter for margarine, or just eliminate it all together.

Anyone heard that tilapia is not really a very healthy fish to eat? I have some good Cajun recipes I found for it, but they are not really that healthy. My favorite is just a thick tuna or shark steak done on the grill with a nice marinade....yum!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Fish Stew

1 tablespoon olive oil or corn oil
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced carrots
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic minced (from jar works just fine!)
16 ounces canned, chopped tomatoes in juice or 2 cups chopped fresh
1 cup chicken stock
¼ cup dry white wine (can be omitted)
1 bay leaf
1 cup water
6 ½ ounces canned chopped clams and juice (optional)
1 – 1 ½ pounds white fish (cod, haddock, halibut, tilapia etc.) cut into 1” pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

• Heat oil and sauté celery, carrots, onion, green pepper and garlic about 10 minutes or until tender-crisp.
• Add tomatoes in juice, stock, wine and seasonings.
• Bring to Boil
• Cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
• Add water and clams.
• Place fish on top of mixture and cook 10 minutes until fish flakes when tested with fork.
• Stir gently so the fish remains in chunks.
• Removed bay leaf, season with salt & pepper.
• Serve in warm bowls.

5-6 servings

I usually don't bother to cut the fish into 1" chunks...I just sit the fillets on top and 'chunk it' when I stir at the end...

Reactions: mainegirl

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
This is what we're having for dinner:

A couple of bags of salad shrimp, thawed. Sauted with mushrooms and garlic in a little bit of olive oil I would start cooking the mushrooms first so the shrimp doesn't get rubbery. Sometimes I'll add a little white wine if I'm feeling naughty. ;)

When it's all cooked and most of the liquid is gone I add a cup or two of shredded parmesan cheese. I mix it all up so it's cheesy and gooey.

While it's cooking I slice some french bread and toast it in the oven. Then I rub garlic on it when it comes out and is hot. I serve the shrimp mushroom mix on the bread.

Goes great with asparagus or green beans!!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Salmon quesadillas. Gary loves them!

I brown a couple of salmon fillets, crumbling them like you do with ground beef in the pan. While it's cooking I add a little lemon juice and sometimes the zest of a lemon. I don't like mine too lemony but Gary does.

After that's all cooked, I assemble the quesadillas like normal, with the flour tortilla, cheese (I like using colby for these) and then the ground salmon.

After they're cooked and melty, I slice them up.

I make a dipping sauce which is two parts Red Hot, one part lemon juice.

Olé!

·
Registered
101 Posts
your in luck I work at a Fish Market:)

I like any of the white fish or salmon which I do alot of different things with. I normally don't fry fish, I usually bake or broil.

1. sprinkle your fish with lemon juice and parmesan cheese and broil until done
2. egg fish, use panko bread crumbs, bread it, bake until done. In the meantime on top of stove, melt a tablespoon or two of butter, add lemon juice, and white wine to taste, boil to break down the wine, add capers and use as a sauce over finished fish.
3. with salmon, I make the same sauce above, with fresh dill on the salmon, poach it in the liquid
4. Fresh Tuna boiled with celery/onion until done. Remove tuna, cool down and make a fresh tuna salad with it, it is the BEST, (beats canned anyday)
5. Something a tad 'fattening'>> I use white fish, and "stuff" with,,
sauteed shrimp and scallops chopped up in butter..Smash Town House Crackers and mix together (if you need more juice use hot water),,either stuff your fish, or with something like haddock or cod, I layer it on top of the fish,,Bake 350 for about 30- 40 minutes..

That's a few off the top of my head

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
When shopping for fish, I always try to make a concentrated effort to invest in a sustainable fishery since there are so many fisheries that are overfished or fished in a damaging way.

Seafood Watch Seafood Recommendations from the Monterey Bay Aquarium

The monteray bay aquarium has a go-to guide for which fisheries are sustainable and which are not.

Farm raised catfish and tilapia are excellent choices. Farm raised shrimp, definitely not. Salmon is often a good choice, but you have to be careful where it comes from. I LOVE black cod/sablefish, it's an excellent alternative to Chilean seabass, which is extremely overfished.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can I add, since I work in a fish market, KNOW where your fish is coming from.

IF Farm raised, always get american farm raised, you don't even want to know what's "in" farm raised from foreign countries:(

·
Registered
525 Posts
I make a Corn and Shrimp soup that's great. Start w/a roux to dark honey brown. Add onion, celery and garlic, and saute until onions are clear. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, oregano and basil, two cups of corn (fresh or frozen), can of Rotel tomatoes, and water. Finally, add a pound of medium-sized, peeled, de-veined shrimp. Simmer for a hour or so, and you're good to go. As a Cajun cook, I serve it w/rice. You may prefer crackers, which is awesome, too. On the measurements, well, tsp of oregano and basil, single bay leaf, to taste on the others. If you want a bit more zing, add 1/4 tsp of cayenne. Bon appetite!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Etouffee is great, too, but not as "healthy", if you know what I mean. And lobster bisque is one of my absolute favs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts