Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 year old Female Golden seemed to have worms. I was going out of town so I told my wife to buy deworming meds and give them. But instead she went to the vet. The vet put her on antibiotics. Didn't help so they did x-rays and increased the antibiotics. Still no help. So then finally we did 2 deworming treatments and things seemed better, but she quickly developed anal fissures. So they put her on steroids, which helped after they increased the dosage , but the fissures came back after withdrawing the steroids. She went back on steroids and we tried withdrawing slowly, but they still came back again. Then we tried the "eye drop" meds along with steroids and withdrew the steroids. She still has fissures. But after we withdrew the steroids she started drooling/foaming and we discovered what seems to be some swelling in her neck, near the head/jaw.

Does anyone have any idea what happened over the course of 6 months? She had always been a healthy dog. Does it sound like Cancer ? Or allergy ?(It's been a very bad allergy season and the dog was sneezing).

Do these things seem interrelated ? Seems like things started going downhill with the antibiotics?????

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
What were your dog's initial symptoms and why did you suspect worms?

Julie and the boys

Reactions: Allure45

·
Registered
498 Posts
You need to go to another vet if your not happy with your current one. Write down everything you've done. All symptoms your dog has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dog's initial symptoms.....

"What were your dog's initial symptoms and why did you suspect worms?"

As I recall it was very small stools, (and loose stools), trouble defecating. When I finally gave her the worming meds I am pretty sure I saw the egg pouch come out.

My wife might have more information but she is asleep right now.

Thank You !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to go to another vet if your not happy with your current one. Write down everything you've done. All symptoms your dog has.
I was given a second vet after the dog went back with the anal fissures because the first vet had either quit or been fired. There are only two Vet's Offices near where I live. The one I am using is a mile away and the other is 3 miles away.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was given a second vet after the dog went back with the anal fissures because the first vet had either quit or been fired. There are only two Vet's Offices near where I live. The one I am using is a mile away and the other is 3 miles away.
Your in New Jersey. I'm sure you could find another vet. Your first vet quit or got fired. That doesn't sound promising.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Allure

I am so sorry your poor Girl is going through this. Have you googled Vets near Banegal New Jersey. I agree with the person that said there must be lots!!
I would get her to another vet immediately-this sounds serious!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I agree with the others, I would find a new vet. Sometimes it really pays to drive a little bit to get to the right one. There are at least 3 vets right in my town, easily less than 10 minutes of drive time... I drive a good 35-40 minutes to the other side of Charlotte for my vets. My father (who lives in NJ) drives a good 2+ hours to get to his. Where in NJ are you? Perhaps someone on the forum could help you find a better place to go.

Small, sometimes loose stools do not necessarily indicate worms. Write down everything you can think of (including a description of what you believe was an egg sac) to bring with you to your vet appointment. That way you won't forget in the moment -- the more info you have, the better chance a vet will have of helping you figure out what is going on. Good luck!

Julie and the boys

Reactions: Selli-Belle

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Did the vet actually test any stool to see if there were worms? I agree with the others, find another vet. Talk to friends and see if they can recommend a vet. I wouldn't worry about how far away a vet is, find the best vet you can.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Definitely find a new vet, like Jersey's Mom, I have numerous vets w/in a stones throw of my house, but drive an hour for the vet I use for my senior goldens. Just as was recommended for you to write down all of the symptoms to take to the vet, don't let the vet/staff at the clinic rush you--I also take down notes of what they say/recommend/provide treatment for during the visit so I can review once I get home & can settle down & process everything.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Find another vet - that should not be too hard.
Secondly, no you cannot see an egg pouch of internal parasites - eggs of parasites can only be seen under the microscope. There is no 'egg pouch'. I am thinking you might have seen a bit of mucous covering stools.

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
No question - take your dog to Redbank Veterinary Hospital in Tinton Falls, NJ. They are a full service facility, have exceptionally well qualified staff and give excellent care.

I would not return to the original vet.

·
Chloe's Mom Lisa
774 Posts
First take a fecal sample to a new vet to test for worms. My vet recommends giving your dog Drontal Plus once a year for deworming (everything can't necessarily be detected in fecal tests). If your dog doesn't have worms then I might try a better quality dry dog food. Also don't give your dog any treats until you figure out what is causing the loose stools. Does your dog eat grass? This can also cause gastrointestinal issues.

Any updates?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts