Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What dog dryer do you like? I just have no clue what brands to consider and what to stay away from, and I can't spend hundreds of dollars (hoping to stay around $150 Canadian, which would be about $100 US. Is that even possible?). Just need something better than my own hair dryer! :smile2: This is not for show grooming or trying to straighten the coat. Just basic drying. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,641 Posts

·
Kate
20,608 Posts
I think that the Flying Pig dryer or B-Air are good choices for a starter dryer.

The more powerful dryers out there are better picks if you have a dog with a very thick coat or multiple dogs you have to dry in a short period of time.

The more powerful a dryer you have - the faster the dogs get dried.

So with a base model B-Air - I'd expect it to take about 45 minutes to get a dog basically dry.

These dryers are not necessarily drying the dogs the same way our hair dryers do...? It's not using heat to dry. It's literally blowing the water out of the coat.

Also straightening doesn't necessarily rely on having a higher power dryer. It's basically how you dry + you making sure the dog is completely dry before letting him off the table.

Flippies happen when there's just a little dampness in the dog's coat when he's let off the table and shakes - and or goes to lie down prior to completely drying. It's more like cowlicks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have Chris Christensen Kool Pup Dryer. It's cheaper and really lightweight. It's not as powerful but my dog doesn't have a ton of fur so he basically dries himself so it works for us.

The dog self wash I go to has the K9II mentioned above. I love it! It's way more powerful and fast than mine. I can dry my dog in like 10 minutes. If you wanna splurge I would get that one. I want to get it eventually!

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
We recently replaced our Metro-Force Commanger dryer, which we had for about 15 years (here is a link at Chewy https://www.chewy.com/metrovac-air-force-commander-pet/dp/131666?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=MetroVac&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzdikwJve3AIVUJN-Ch3wPwMLEAQYASABEgIXM_D_BwE
It was great, but this time around I wanted one with the ability to add heat for the winter. We decided to give this one a try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E4ZROBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So far I love it, and I love the different attachments.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I have Chris Christensen Kool Pup Dryer. It's cheaper and really lightweight. It's not as powerful but my dog doesn't have a ton of fur so he basically dries himself so it works for us.

The dog self wash I go to has the K9II mentioned above. I love it! It's way more powerful and fast than mine. I can dry my dog in like 10 minutes. If you wanna splurge I would get that one. I want to get it eventually!
I've had my k9III for more than 15 years- it has been to the vacuum shop one time to have something tweaked and I have done the bushings I think twice. It is worth every penny if you have multiple dogs-

·
Puddles
3,324 Posts
I have a bright orange Metro 4.0. When I purchased it I had two goldens with moderate coats and worked great. Well then came Sipsy, my local yetti! I would love to get the k9 III and will when the Metro dies, but way beyond my current budget, especially when the Metro is still alive and well 6 yrs and going strong. I spoke with some groomers to get some tips on cutting down the drying time and sure enough... user error. Well we cut 2 hrs off our drying time!

So If I can wash & dry my Yetti in just over an hour I have no complaints. This little unit is certainly sufficient for the average golden coat and reasonably priced. I have two adult golden girls and the chihuahua and bathe them every week.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes you can get a very effective dryer for less than $100 US. I purchased one for $72 US three years ago and it has worked perfectly and has high velocity, I use heat only in very cool weather when drying outside. I was going to give the link for the one I have but it is no longer sold. I found it by going to Amazon and searching for a "high velocity pet dryer" filter for results better than 4 stars and choose from there based on number of orderers, price and feedback. Certainly there will be people that disagree and that's fine. I am a pet owner, not a professional groomer and use it only once every couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
This little unit is certainly sufficient for the average golden coat and reasonably priced.
I've had the same experience with my little orange metro dryer as well. It's probably 15 years old now. Still working. It's annoyingly noisy though. :)

I have used the higher end K9 dryers too. Someday would like to get one, but it's kinda hard to justify since we don't show our dogs. My experience with the K9 dryers is that they dried so much faster and were quieter. I think it's quieter, at least with the longer hose it's able to sit further away , so maybe it just seemed quieter.

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, does it still take about 45 minutes with all these dryers? I do better than that with my hair dryer on Shala. She does not have a really thick coat at all - it takes about 20 minutes with my blow dryer. Maybe I'm not going to do much better than that?

We recently replaced our Metro-Force Commanger dryer, which we had for about 15 years (here is a link at Chewy https://www.chewy.com/metrovac-air-force-commander-pet/dp/131666?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=MetroVac&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzdikwJve3AIVUJN-Ch3wPwMLEAQYASABEgIXM_D_BwE
It was great, but this time around I wanted one with the ability to add heat for the winter. We decided to give this one a try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E4ZROBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So far I love it, and I love the different attachments.

That bottom one looked promising - but just checked it out on amazon.ca - and it's $256. :frown2:
I found one on Kijiji - is anyone familiar with this one:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-pet-accessories/mississauga-peel-region/bear-paw-dog-grooming-dryer/1373026972?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had the same experience with my little orange metro dryer as well. It's probably 15 years old now. Still working. It's annoyingly noisy though. :)

I have used the higher end K9 dryers too. Someday would like to get one, but it's kinda hard to justify since we don't show our dogs. My experience with the K9 dryers is that they dried so much faster and were quieter. I think it's quieter, at least with the longer hose it's able to sit further away , so maybe it just seemed quieter.

Same - plus, I have only one dog, and she has a very easy coat. It's not heavy, and it's very straight.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
So, does it still take about 45 minutes with all these dryers? I do better than that with my hair dryer on Shala. She does not have a really thick coat at all - it takes about 20 minutes with my blow dryer. Maybe I'm not going to do much better than that?
Bear didn't have much coat and what coat he had was all in his butt. It would take us about 20-30 minutes to full dry him. But his coat was not correct for a golden, and my technique is rusty. Lana should have more volume of coat than Bear did, but she dries (so far and I know I'm only talking puppy coat since she's only 9 weeks old) so much faster than Bear ever did. Air drying Bear would take like 2 hours. Air drying Lana takes 30 minutes.

So I am supposing that Lana will take less time to dry with the HV dryer. I haven't introduced it yet. That'll hopefully be this weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a bright orange Metro 4.0. When I purchased it I had two goldens with moderate coats and worked great. Well then came Sipsy, my local yetti! I would love to get the k9 III and will when the Metro dies, but way beyond my current budget, especially when the Metro is still alive and well 6 yrs and going strong. I spoke with some groomers to get some tips on cutting down the drying time and sure enough... user error. Well we cut 2 hrs off our drying time!

So If I can wash & dry my Yetti in just over an hour I have no complaints. This little unit is certainly sufficient for the average golden coat and reasonably priced. I have two adult golden girls and the chihuahua and bathe them every week.
I’m thinking about getting a dryer as well. For those of us (me, lol) who are newbies, what tips do you have on actually using the thing? Thankfully, I don’t have a yeti, but Cleo will thank me for being efficient! :wink2:

·
Puddles
3,324 Posts
It is loud but doesn't seem to bother anyone. Sweetgirl you should be able to wash and dry in about 1/2 hour. But promise the high volume air flow is so much better than what you have. It's also great at removing loose hair and excessive undercoat.

The simple suggestion given to me was to remember this product does not have heat (nor should it), just blows warm air from the motor. So don't try and use it like MY blow dryer. I use the tube attachment to blow off the bulk of the water but can't get next to the skin with this as it must tickle. So once the major water is off remove the attachment and put the hose close to the skin. After all this is what you are really trying to dry. The hair dries as you go. I also needed to work in one area.. say a shoulder & leg until it's dry before moving to new spot. I was blowing all over and never really getting down to the skin and after a couple of hours of blowing had a damp dog all over. So instead of the 3 hrs I can have a nice clean, dry dog in about an hour. My other gold takes less than 30 min.

Because I do have a dog with so much coat I'm ok with the expense of the k9 III when the metro bites the dust but for now, this gets the job done.

·
Kate
20,608 Posts
If your hair dryer works in 20 minutes - it's likely you are not talking about 45 minutes with a regular dog dryer.

The last time I attempted to use a hair dryer on a dog - just to dry the neck ruff, me sitting there for over an house dried the outer coat, but didn't get in close to the skin (where bacteria forms).

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Yes, the great thing about having the dryers opposed to a normal hair dryer is the velocity. The hair that gets blown off is tremendous! Sweet Girl - wow, what a price difference between the US/CA for the dryer we just purchased. Yikes. I feel for you. Though for 15 or so years we did not have any heat with our MegaForce, in the winter it would be rather chilly as it was pulling the ambient air temp. I think I am going to like having the option to add a bit of heat, so the air blowing on them is not cold. Good luck in your search. Hopefully you can find one in your price range.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought this one a couple of months ago. It works really well. I use it mostly on Ledger at shows and he's got a fairly thick coat. I can dry him in less than
half an hour.

https://www.amazon.ca/SHELANDY-Stepless-Adjustable-Grooming-Blower/dp/B06WLQPJ58/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1533848802&sr=8-17&keywords=dog+dryers

Thanks!! I am so reluctant to buy one without a recommendation, so it's good to know you have had a good experience with this one. $148 isn't bad. If you can dry Legder in a half hour with a heavy coat, this should be quite efficient for Shala. Much appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Thanks!! I am so reluctant to buy one without a recommendation, so it's good to know you have had a good experience with this one. $148 isn't bad. If you can dry Legder in a half hour with a heavy coat, this should be quite efficient for Shala. Much appreciated!!
Did you end up buying the Flying Pig dryer? Do you like it?

Tomo's coat is still coming in but I thought I'd start researching dryers, as my hairdyer ($200 but still a human hair dryer) is no longer cutting it... I still use the hair dryer for a few minutes so he gets used to the noise and hassle, but just let him airdry the rest of the way.

·
Jennifer
107 Posts
I'm thinking of asking Santa for a new dryer for Christmas and would love recommendations. Right now I have a Double K Challengair that's 20+ years old and works fine, but would love a dryer with more force. I know a lot of show folks use the K-9 brand and wonder if it's worth the money?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts