Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Max's Momma
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum. Max is 1 year 7 months old and weighs 57 pounds. He is currently eating Wellness Simple dry food. He gets 1 cup twice a day.

He used to eat blue buffalo wilderness, but he was eating the fur off his butt cheeks, so I checked his anal glands (they weren't impacted), and switched his food to Wellness Simple. Most of the hair has grown back now, but he still chews his butt cheeks a little bit.

Additionally, he looks a little skinny and has a decent amount of #2, so I don't think he's really absorbing the food as much as he should be. I am hesitant to give him more food for this reason.

I am not sure he is getting the right diet. Can anyone offer some suggestions? I am open to switching foods, mixing wet food in, or serving a raw diet in the evenings. Or, if I take him to the vet for any testing, is there something I should ask for specifically?

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
He doesn't look too skinny to me in that photo. You should be able to feel his ribs, but not see them.

It's hard to say what a good food is. I can tell you what food works for my dog, but it may be different from what works for others. A good quality, nutritionally balanced dog food will give him everything he needs. When you say he has a decent amount of poop, what do you mean? My dog eats Pro Plan Adult Chicken and Rice. She poops twice a day, not very big poops. Sometimes a third very little bit if she is running or swimming a lot.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
There are a few Wellness Simple dog foods. Is Max eating a grain free formula? I've read dogs can have an allergy with a poultry based food too.
Murphy eats Orijen Six Fish and does very well.

·
Max's Momma
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The part that concerns me is that his tucked up stomach area is very thin on the sides, as if he has a very skinny waist, and his ribs are very easy to feel to the touch, sometimes visible near the bottom of them. For his stool, it's more than 1/2 a cup (twice a day), they are pretty large. Otherwise, he well mannered when it comes to eating (doesn't inhale the food because he likes to enjoy it), energetic and has a decent coat. All 4 of his legs are very lean.

He was eating the Lamb & Oatmeal Wellness Simple, which has no wheat, corn, or soy. He did eat a full bag of the grain-free Salmon Wellness Simple once when they were sold out of lamb, but he didn't seem to like it as much.

With the Wellness Simple Lamb at 2 cups a day, that was 800 calories. I think I am going to put him on Merrick Salmon dry food (grain-free) and supplement with Zignature wet food to get up to 1200 and get the additional nutrients.

Merrick has a higher protein, fat and omega-6 percentage.

Is 1200 calories too much?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Dogs will also go thru times when they just need more. For the last three years Tink was eating only 2 cups a day, now she is eating 3 and looks fantastic. Try increasing the food a half cup per day and see after a week if no change up another half. Also has he been wormed? I worm twice a year and have stools done at that time. Dogs can pick up little things that keep them from processing their food well.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Have you wormed him lately?
I did have a dog with an upper GI issue and wasn’t absorbing food well. He was on long term antibiotics to kick whatever it was. Eventually he started putting on weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts