Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Russell is up to date on ALL of his shots/Vaccinations. He is not due for his Corona,Distemper/parvo/hep/para vac/rabies until 2012. He is however due for a shot called Bordetella vacc. I guess it is an annual vaccination. I believe it is for kennel cough? Russell is in indoor dog. Well, I should say other than his morning walk to the park and his daily backyard duty he is in. When we travel, and we do. Normally, we go to the lake in the summer with our boat and the desert in the winter with our fifth wheel and dirt-bikes Russ comes with us. I don't board him. With that said does he need the Bordetella Vacc? Any thought would be appreciated.:p:

Attachments

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I only do the bordatella when the girls are to be boarded. I don't use it at all on Cody or Syd since they are not boarded.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The vaccine that my vet uses for Bordetella is not a shot, but nose drops. I'm in South Florida--don't know if they use something in Southern Cal.

My vet also does not give the Bordetella vaccine unless a boarding kennel requests it. She feels that if the dogs have good immunity, that in many cases, they really don't need it. In some cases, the vaccine can give the dog a slight case of Bordetella, so when she does give the vaccine, she likes to give it a few weeks before the dog is being boarded (rather than the day before--otherwise it looks like the dog has the kennel cough day of boarding). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that the only thing that it covers? So, no boarding=no vaccination? I was not sure if he could get kennel cough from a dog at the park, or from smelling around like you can with distemper. Good to know:wavey:. I will take a pass on the vacc. While I have you here, are there any others that he truly does not need? I have a good vet but I have noticed that since the recession I have been getting more postcards from her office than before about front-line and heart worm stuff. It almost feels like I am not doing enough.LOL LOL. Speaking of heartworm stuff, What is your opinion on it? Is there a pill he should be on? The vet said that every dog should be on heart worm medication but that you had to watch the liver closely. That made me pass on it. But I have been wrong before! LOL LOL. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated:). Russell is my only BABY now that my babies are growing up(My kids) heck two of them are full grown. LMAO.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Neither of my vets recommend Corona vaccinations. It is not all that common and not generally a very serious disease:

Q: Does my dog need Corona virus vaccine?

The American Animal Hospital Association released the 2003 Vaccination Guidelines for dogs. Corona virus vaccine was not recommended. Texas A & M Veterinary School has not recommended Corona vaccine for over 15 years.

Corona virus causes a self- limiting diarrhea only in dogs less than 8 weeks of age. It is a very rare disease. At Texas A & M they have only seen one case in over 10 years.

Scientists have never been able to demonstrate that corona virus causes disease in adult dogs. Adult dogs are immune to corona virus whether they are vaccinated or not. Vaccination of adult dogs provides no benefit.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I should add that if there were cases of Corona showing up in my area of the state, and I had very young puppies, I would look into giving them the vaccination. I don't see any reason to give the Corona vaccine to a healthy adult dog.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Riley goes to doggie day care once a week and is required (by the day care) to have bordatella. I don't ever board her but we used to board our other dog when she was younger. Since we were never sure when we were going to board her she always got it.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
If your dog goes to petsmart, training, dog parks, daycare, boarding, grooming, etc. then you should get the bordetella intranasal spray. If not, there's no reason to get it.
I didn't know ANY vets still gave Corona vaccination!!!

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
If your dog goes to petsmart, training, dog parks, daycare, boarding, grooming, etc. then you should get the bordetella intranasal spray. If not, there's no reason to get it.
I didn't know ANY vets still gave Corona vaccination!!!
They do in Mississippi, at least my vet gave to my old golden. I haven't been to them yet with my new adoption as he's up to date until March. But I plan to ask why they give it and if they have seen any cases in our area.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
. . . Speaking of heartworm stuff, What is your opinion on it? Is there a pill he should be on? The vet said that every dog should be on heart worm medication but that you had to watch the liver closely. That made me pass on it. . .
Living in South Florida, where we have mosquitos practically year-round, I have my golden on heart worm medicine year round. I give a combination heart worm and flea/tick preventative. What I give is a topical medicine, called "Revolution" and I apply it behind her withers, once a month.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I keep my dogs up on their bordetella vaccine because I foster dogs and a lot of them come from shelters where they have been exposed. I have never vaccinated against Corona.

HW preventative is a must here in NC. Year round! It never stays cold enough, long enough to kill off the mosquitoes. The first warm day we have, the mosquitoes are buzzing around like crazy.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I doubt that you need Corona Virus.

Bordatella can be an injection or a nasal spray. The injection is good for 1 year, the nasal is good for 6 months. Bordatella is recommended for people that go to dog-parks/doggy daycare often, frequent the groomers and dog interacts with other dogs, or if you're going to be boarding.

All you should really need are DHPP (Distemper) and the Rabies Vaccine.

Lyme is recommended for areas that have a high incidence of it.
Leptospira is recommended if you take your dog hiking/swimming/have a creek near your home.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Living in South Florida, where we have mosquitos practically year-round, I have my golden on heart worm medicine year round. I give a combination heart worm and flea/tick preventative. What I give is a topical medicine, called "Revolution" and I apply it behind her withers, once a month.
Heartworm meds need to be given year round here in Texas. SO many dogs are unprotected and get this killer of a disease. It's expensive and treatment itself is toxic. Dogs have to be on crate rest for weeks following treatment. However, the monthly pill is actually "good" for 42 days. The monthly dose is actually for convenience of the user... to remember to give the med. I have mine on a 35 day schedule. I mark my calender every time I buy meds, and I still have a weeks lee-way in case I forget.

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
If your dog goes to the dog park, Petsmart, training, or any other place that he is around a group of dogs he should have the bordatella vax.

Please do not skip heartworm preventative.
Heartworm preventative is a MUST. Heartworms are transmitted by mosquitoes so there is no way to prevent them from being exposed. The heartworms will kill your dog, if they are infected the treatment to remove heartworms can be life threatening. Preventing heartworm infection is an extremely safe, inexpensive easy to give flavored pill or topical application.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I pretty much do only core vaccines, & when it comes time to do them again I am going to have the titers done 1st. More & more they are saying most vaccines given after 16 weeks to a year are good for 7 years to the life of the dog. I will get the rabies because it is required by law in Ohio every 3 years.
My vet & I do go around a bit about vaccines, but recently he hasn't given me a hard time.
I would not get Corona unless your dogs are in comtact with other dogs who actually have the disease. I do not get the bordetella because my dogs are not ever boarder. I may (MAY) get it one time a few months before they go in to be spayed & then probably only because my vet will insist. (or I may find another vet to do the spay)
Some vets do like their vaccines, it is a BIG part of their income with very little cost to them.

·
G-Dog and Lilla's Dad
26 Posts
My two get bordatella with no problems. I don't like to board them but the lady who comes to my house to watch them when we go on trips sometimes brings her dogs with her. When they get a bath they are at the vets and usually have to stay in their kennels til we get off work. So, I guess it's needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts