Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I recently joined this forum since we just got a puppy a few days ago. (This is my second golden puppy as an adult-I had three growing up.) We brought our puppy home on Monday and things were going well until today. I feel like someone came in and switched puppies. He is acting wild and nipping/mouthing us. I tell him no and put a toy in his mouth instead. Is that the right thing to do? He also hates his crate. I have done everything to make a positive place-toys, cozy bedding, a treat when he goes in, but he cries/whimpers for at least 10-15 minutes. We ignore him and he will settle after 15 minutes or so. Is that normal? What can I do to make him like it better?
I find myself missing my dog that died a few weeks because he was such a sweet, well behaved, and loving dog. I forgot how much work puppies can be. I keep second guessing myself on things I do since it has been 13 years since I had a golden puppy. Any advice/suggestions would be so appreciated.
Thanks!:wavey:
Pam

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
What you're going through is totally normal. During the first few days in their new home, puppies usually are very quiet and sleep quite a bit while they get adjusted to their new surroundings and get used to not having their mother and littermates around anymore. Once they start to get settled in and feel a bit more comfortable, it's like a switch goes off and you then have a real live golden puppy. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will get better.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Hi! I'm no experienced puppy owner yet ( got mine 3 weeks ago), but based on her actions, I would say your puppy acts pretty normal. About the crate: does he only go in there during night time? My puppy sleeps there during night time, but she also goes in during the day, when she wants a bit of quiet time. Then we leave the door open, so she can come and go as she pleases. I believe that because she regards it as 'her' space, she's ok when I put her there and close the door.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Ahhh puppyhood! Everything you mentioned is perfectly normal except for the 15 minutes of crying in the crate. A normal GR puppy would cry for at least an hour. :p: Don't fret the crying will go away in a few days. You might try throwing a sheet over the crate to make it more den like.

Oh, Welcome to the forum. Please make yourself at home here and be sure to post lots of puppy pictures.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We've only had our puppy two and a half weeks, and we had exactly the same experience as yourself, but she settle really quickly....its great news that she's only crying for around 15 mins...our Cpt Seabiscuit was acting crazy in her cage, like a proper caged animal! Felt so sorry for her, really wanted to take her out and give her a cuddle, but we didnt...now she loves her cage....I see her running through to the next room just to be in it.

What you're doing sounds exactly like what we done, and exactly like the advice we were given....and it's working for us.

Keep us updated.

Danny

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi! I could've written your exact post a month ago (except Josie cried all night for 3 nights before she settled in her crate)! Sounds like you're doing things right, just hang in there. In just a month, Josie has learned soo much, and all her nipping and crazy times are much more managable. OK maybe I've been trained more than she has, but that's ok, too. I'd love to see pictures!:)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
...I find myself missing my dog that died a few weeks because he was such a sweet, well behaved, and loving dog. I forgot how much work puppies can be. I keep second guessing myself on things I do since it has been 13 years since I had a golden puppy. Any advice/suggestions would be so appreciated.
Thanks!:wavey:
Pam
I know exactly how you feel. I lost my last golden after almost 14 years, those puppies days were long forgotten and quite an adjustment when Hank stormed into our lives! He's almost 6 months now and growing up so fast I'm afraid to blink! All those extra puppy chores were over so fast, it seems like they never existed. I'm fortunate that Hank is very mellow and not a chewer or I could still be second guessing myself! ;)

The nipping and biting will stop once those baby (razor) teeth are gone. We always had toys handy and would give him a toy to mouth. Hank wasn't too bad with mouthing but we did have our share of scratches and battle wounds! I also keep a supply of bullysticks, great when you want an hour or two of peace to watch TV or get something done around the house. Kongs filled with goodies then frozen work great too.

Post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a normal puppy to me!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Yep, normal.

Better do some relaxation/meditation exercises cause the puppy behavior is around quite awhile. teething, eating everything it sees, house training etc. puppies are alot of work.

You will have alot of company here on GRF since many have new pups right now!
Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
i remember going through the same exact thing. i actually considered if i had made the wrong decision to get a golden puppy because i've never had an animal act the way she did. i questioned myself and constantly wondered if she was going to grow up to be aggressive and if problems lay ahead. it's depressing, especially when you're sleep deprived due to your puppy as well! now i'm head over heals for the darn animal. as said before, they're quite unique and unlike any other breed you'll ever own.

the only advice i can give is to be patient. goldens are some of the mouthiest animals next to a really mean parrot, lol. constantly redirect their attention to toys but don't expect any miracles!

layla never liked her crate. i put kongs and peanut butter, toys, pig ears -- everything. she eventually started getting used to her crate and stopped crying when she was put in but she never liked her crate. always a fight to get her inside.

anyway, all i can offer is support. it's just something they grow out of. around 3.5-4 months you'll notice a behavior change because that's when they start losing their puppy daggers. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know how you feel. We had 3 older dogs that passed away over the last several years and have started over with a puppy. What a change! You forget what puppies are all about...yikes! And yes I miss those sweet mellow older dogs.

We're having fun though in spite of the scratches and bites. It's fun to watch her learn and she grows by the second. I think every stage brings its joys and challenges. Relax and have fun! :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know exactly what you're going through--my husband and I lost our two seniors within 18 months of each other and when we got Mac, we went through the same situations you did. Hang in there, because your pup is perfectly normal, and what you're feeling is perfectly normal too. No dog can ever replace another, but with a new pup, there's a whole new mysterious journey, with another set of exciting experiences that lie ahead. Good luck and Happy New Year!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Totally Normal

What you are going through is totally normal puppy behavior.

I have been through exactly what you are going through. Ken and I had two older Samoyeds, Munchkin and Gizmo, both went to the bridge at about 11 or 12 years of age within six wks. of one another.
In Other Words, we hadn't had a puppy for 10 years or more.
When Gizmo and Munchkin weere gone we rescued Smooch, Golden Ret, she was 16 months old and got Snobear, our Male Samoyed and he was 9 wks. old.
Oh My God-the shock of going from two senior dogs to two puppies!!

Smooch and Snobear ran up and down the stairs and played so hard and rough I was convinced they were going to accidentally kill one another-the furniture actually shook!! I called the golden ret. rescue lady to express my fears and she just laughed and said-they are puppies and they are playing!
It took a week or two-can't remember-to get used to having puppies again, and it will for you too!!

YOU Will be fine-just accept him as a puppy!!

p.s. in ANSWER to your questions, you are doing everything right. He will get used to the crate. Just give him time!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just don't give in & let them out when they cry, it will only make them cry longer. I started out giving a pigs ear ONLY when they went tothe crate at night. I was lucky our breeder had given the dogs pigs ears every night as a way to start getting them use to bed time, so for us it went well. It was only a few days & they seemed pretty good. I did also cover the crate except the front door. Mine don't particularly love their crates but if I have a hand of food they will run to it & get in.

I also went through some of the feelings you may be having. I kept thinking, I don't remember going throught this with our 1st puppy. Maybe I just forgot. Like you when our Golden died they were older & a wonderful dog. I even wondered if I could love the new puppy like I did the 1st. Give it time. Things will settle in & this puppy too will take over your heart. It is kind of like kids. Just because you have another doesn't take from the love from the ones you already have. I always say instead of dividing your love, your love multiplies.
Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Loved reading your post and all the others comments. All sounds very familiar! Like everyone said, hang in there, the next stage will be right around the corner. Things do get easier! Then we went out and got another puppy, Ha...we are back in the puppy stages again! Maggie is 13mts and Chip 4 mts. Lots of work, but well worth it!

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
Wow, I felt the same exact way. I had to start taking Hudsen to doggy daycare because he would cry for hours in his crate once I went to work (got some complaints from the neighbors) :( Here are some things I've done that have helped. I cover his crate with towels (except for the door) and give him lots of toys to play with. Also, I started feeding him in his crate everytime (with the door open) so that he would at least go near it and associate it with positive things. Now, when he knows it's time to eat, he runs right to his crate. I tried turning on a a radio very softly and put it on top of his crate so he could hear "people" while I was gone. I don't think it helped much, but I have heard that it has helped other people so you may want to try it. At first I would say, "Go in your crate." and i would have to pick him up and put him in, but I gave him a treat everytime he went in. Now at night when I say, "go in your crate." he runs right in and waits for his treat, then goes right to bed. He no longer cries at night when he goes in, but during the day I have to ALWAYS give him a stuffed Kong when I leave or I think he would- I listen outside of the door for a few minutes and he hasn't been crying, but Im not sure what happens once he eats his Kong. Also, when he is really tired, he has started going in on his own and lying in there with the door open. I NEVER thought that would happen! Just hang in there, it will definitely get better!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pam - you are not alone! Let me repeat, you are not alone out there! We brought Finn home one week ago today, we are experiencing the same things as many of the others here are.

Finn doesn't like his crate, he doesn't hate it, thank goodness, but he doesn't like it. I go back to work tomorrow and I know I am going to worry about him being in there all day with no companionship. My MIL will be checking in on him in the afternoon and DH will come home for lunch but I still worry.

He would rather lay/sleep on the tile floor in the kitchen or front entry way. He loves the cold. I put towels down in his crate, he bunches them up and sleeps on the plastic bottom. We ended up buying him a doggy pack-n-play to sleep in upstairs in our bedroom so he didn't feel so confined but I could keep him enclosed for his safety and my sanity. I am hoping someday he will go to his crate to nap like others do, but for now we only use it when we leave the house.
I understand about missing the old pups. We lost Blaze in Oct and he was 15.5. He was left alone in the open in the house while we were at work and was such a well behaved dog I never had to worry about him, we have done an about face again. First puppy in 15.5 years. But I keep reminding myself that even though I have mentally chosen not to remember Blazes mishaps, he did have them. He didn't come to us the perfect dog and someday Finn will be the same. It's hard I know, I still shed tears for him. Finn is not here to replace Blaze (because thats not fair to either dog) but to once again complement our lives with the love and companionship of man's best friend.

Regardless, know that you can come here anytime and blow off some steam, beg for advice, share funny stories/pictures and that there are others out there that will be sharing in your trials and tribulations.

Dawn

·
Kristy
9,947 Posts
I just had to tell you that I remember so clearly feeling this way about the dog I just lost in October, Baxter, when he was a puppy. I missed my old "grown up" pal and wondered if I would ever, ever feel that way about Baxter. I guess life, really is a circle, because now it's Baxter who is the old comrade I am missing. Now I am wondering how this new puppy, Duncan, will ever feel like my buddy... Thank you for your post, I will be checking back with it over the next few weeks for moral support when I need it!

p.s. It took Baxter a few years to really like his crate, as a young dog he would never go in there on his own... only as an older adult did he go in there to snooze. Keep giving him a tiny treat every single time you put puppy in there.... I've learned with children and dogs (and husbands :) consistency is the NUMBER ONE key to success! Hang in there... you are not alone :):wavey:

·
Hello all:)
72 Posts
Oh my this is exactly what we are going thru with Cody!He is 9 wks today and wow!Cody cried alot longer in his crate though!!!He would cry for hours if we let him!We had to figure something out for bedtime cause I have a year old daughter and a 4 yr old son and they need sleep!And he would just do this high pitched bark forever it seemed!I finally decided today that he just HAS to get ok with sleeping in his crate so I put him in there and covered most of it with a blanket and I didn't hear a peep out of him ,so it seems to work!We will see tonight lol!I was so shocked with his puppy attitudes and temperments!My black lab was the greatest puppy ever and was so easy to train so I have to say it was kinda shocking lol!I keep saying to myself that he is not a puppy forever that this too shall pass lol!

Your doing the right stuff,just keep it up and good luck!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts