Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have been reading an Ian Dunbar book, whom I really recommend. He says that your puppy needs to meet at least 100 new/unfamiliar people before 12 weeks of age (basically within the first month you get the puppy). This is an average of about 3-4 people a day. My only problem is that I am about to be a senior college student in a college town where the only people I know and are around are college-aged people. Ian Dunbar stresses the importance of introducing your puppy to a lot of different children and older men. I plan on doing therapy work with my dog, so I know how crucial this first month with the puppy is. I wish I knew a lot of older adults and families with children to help have "puppy parties" but the fact is that I don't. I guess I could sit outside the doors of wal-mart and kroger and hold the puppy the whole time in my arms and wait for people to come up and give it treats that I have on me, but I'm not sure if this would work out too well. Let me know what you guys did, and please give me any advice for my situation. I really want this upcoming dog to have a solid temperament and be comfortable with anybody and in any situation.

Thanks!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I think hanging out with golden puppy in different places where people gather he would be a magnet and he would introduce you to hundreds of people.

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
Outside of Walmarts, supermarkets, etc. is an excellent idea. Gibson is a therapy dog and as a puppy, I made it a point to get out almost everyday to meet people. We kept the outings short as not to tire out the puppy.
You can cover a lot of different people outside of supermarkets and sitting around the outdoor seating area of fast food places. Everyone has to eat, right?
We also went to car dealerships, Jiffy Lube, home improvement stores, neighborhood playgrounds, Starbucks, sporting goods stores, fabric stores, bookstores, outdoor malls, outside of the county courthouse, outside of police stations...
I went to so many places around town that more than a couple of times, I had people come up to us saying things like, "Oh I saw you guys at the mall yesterday!"

It's a lot of work, but worth it in the end. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
I do pretty much that with my puppies :) We go to Petco and Petsmart; walk around town, the parks and the zoo, down Mainstreet and other popular streets. Lots of fun-and a lot of driving-Petsmart and Petco are almost an hour drive for me.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger and I used to hang out by a safeway 8 blocks away from our house. It would take us about 40 mins to walk down there and I'd grab a coffee then chill with him on a bench by the doors. The 40 min walk there tired him out a bit so he'd sit nicely and wait for people to approach - no jumping up on anyone. So many people would come up and pet him, or stop to talk. It definitely helped him get used to people and activity. Then we'd do the 40 min walk back along a busy street to get him used to busses and car noises...by the time we were home he'd end up sleeping for the rest of the day! Can't wait for summer to come to so we can do that again. All we've been doing lately for exposure is walking to the petstore a block away. At least now if he ever gets out, he'll probably head straight there!

Reactions: Prokopton

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Check your local papers/google for free public events to attend with your pup. Even if they don't allow dogs you can hang out by the doors and meet people that way.

Reactions: Prokopton
1 - 7 of 7 Posts