Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I read, the more I feel I am making a big mistake. Thing is I have two pups from two breeders coming at 6 weeks apart, male and female. I know I definitely want two pups but have been hearing and reading that they will bond with each other and not me. I want to hopefully use both of them as registered therapy dogs like my adult golden and possibly breed in the future. I am hearing horror stories on having two pups. One is coming Jan 1,male, and the other 6 weeks later. I don't know what to do now. I'm about to spend close to $3000.00 for both pups and don't want them to lack potential because of my screw up. Can it be done???? Two pups??:uhoh:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I would say not to do it. If you are serious about breeding in the future, buy the best quality girl you can with full registration or the potential to earn full registration or even on a co-ownership. Once she is grown, has her health certifications, and potentially some accomplisments, you can select the best best boy to complement her strengths and minimize her weeknesses. Buying a boy and a girl in the hopes to breed them together rarely works out in a way that will allow you to make strides forward in quality and structure.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,587 Posts
I would cancel out on one of the two. The vast majority of people just don't have enough spare time in their day to teach and train two puppies at the same time. Get one pup and when you have it fully trained to your liking, start looking for a second one.

·
Registered
492 Posts
A girl I worked with got two labs at the same time (brother and sister) and it was not the best decision. She didn't have enough time to properly train both dogs. She never ended up leash training them and they have bad manners. The dogs are so closely bonded that they have no real connection with her. I ended up waiting two years before I brought another dog in the house. I made sure Sadie respected us and was trained before I brought another dog home because now I have time to teach my new dog proper manners and such. My opinion get one and wait for the other.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Raising puppies is a big time commitment if you are going to do it right. My own pup is now 10 months old and I can't imagine bringing in a pup yet. He still has so much to learn and so much training to do which I would not have the time for until he is about 2.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
I've raised two at a time twice now, and I think it is a huge job for someone who has any other life to live. You'll have to make more than special efforts to give them separate experiences, take them to more classes than you'd take one puppy to, and try to separate them for stressing things like vet visits.
Do the breeders know you are planning two puppies?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Perhaps one breeder will let you change to a future litter. If you could get 8-10 months between the pups you would have an easier time training each of them.

Reactions: Selli-Belle

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
I wouldn't, except under extraordinary circumstances, and I am a homemaker these days with no outside commitments and my husband works out of our home. Oh, and I am dog-obsessed. :)

Do I understand you also have an older dog? Yowza...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Do the breeders know you are planning two puppies?
Was wondering the same thing

Buying a boy and a girl in the hopes to breed them together rarely works out in a way that will allow you to make strides forward in quality and structure.
If only it were so easy to pair two intact goldens together.

To the OP, with the goals for these pups you're about to possibly get, I think your gut is telling you what we're all stating. I also would ask, have you verified online via offa.org that the sire/dam of both litters have final (completed after 2 yrs) for hips & elbows as well as a cardiologist cleared heart and annual eye exams performed by an ophthalmologist?

Best of luck in your decision making!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi and thank you for your replies. All of you have agreed that I should wait. This is a learning process and my male is coming for sure Jan 1st. The breeder of my female, before making my deposit, did tell me that I could hold for another litter. This is his first litter from this one dam. I have discussed it with both breeders and they are not pushing me but told me to talk to people who have done it and see what is involved. You are right when you say my gut is telling me to wait. One reason is I'm a widow with three kids and also have a bearded dragon breeding business and other animals. I don't want to rush. I think I will call the female's breeder and talk to him about holding for her next litter. I will also ask about the clearances. Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The more I read, the more I feel I am making a big mistake. Thing is I have two pups from two breeders coming at 6 weeks apart, male and female. I know I definitely want two pups but have been hearing and reading that they will bond with each other and not me. I want to hopefully use both of them as registered therapy dogs like my adult golden and possibly breed in the future. I am hearing horror stories on having two pups. One is coming Jan 1,male, and the other 6 weeks later. I don't know what to do now. I'm about to spend close to $3000.00 for both pups and don't want them to lack potential because of my screw up. Can it be done???? Two pups??:uhoh:

I have littermates (brother and sister) and we got them when they were 7 weeks old and they're almost 14 months now. PLEASE do not let people discourage you from getting two. It's a lot of work because there are two of them but my pups have been wonderful! we've had NO problems with them bonding with each other more than us. They are my Velcro dogs and they're always with me or my husband. They love each other (like any two siblings would). When we got ours, everyone we talked to scared us to death about it and I cried for several days straight at the thought of rehoming one or both.

I have SO much advice for you! I would love to private chat with you or even get your contact info.

Golden retrievers are the most loveable, loyal, easygoing breed I've ever met and getting two of them is twice the love, twice the loyalty and twice the fun! Please don't be scared by what people say MIGHT happen or COULD happen. Those puppies will love you and everyone they meet!

Like I said, I would love to chat more with you as I am a HUGE advocate for littermates and hate the stigma and the bad reputation they get. It's a lot like pit bulls; they have a terrible reputation but the reality is so much different than anyone thinks or is willing to believe.

Please let me know if you want to chat more or have any specific questions!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Argos, thanks for the positive feedback. I did talk to both breeders and did decide to wait the 10 or so months for the female. Another reason I did it was that it's only me with my three kids and it would be hard to take two pups to training. i'm really busy all the time too so I think this would help the pups in the long run. I have another adult golden thats a therapy dog and want the new pups to be as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts