Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new here as of today and hoping some of you can help me. We have two goldens...Duke age 5 yrs and Ella 8 months. I currently feed them Iams but wondering if I should switch. Their coats are not as shiny and fluffy as I would like. They are healthy dogs, but read somewhere that food could be a problem so thought I would ask here.

Also, I use a Furminator to pull out the loose hair from their coat, but what else should I do for grooming? I usually take them to a groomer locally but want to do it myself at home. When I bathe them here I just bathe them with shampoo I get at Petco, blow dry them and brush them out. Any grooming tips/tools appreciated!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Hello and welcome!

For food, I would switch to something better/higher quality. There are lots of threads on that on here. You can also add some fish body (not liver) oil and that will help with coats as well.

Grooming, a greyhound comb will get you better results than a furminator, which damages the coats and can lead to problems. You can also use a conditioner after you shampoo to help replace the oils in the coat.

Again, welcome!

Lana

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes food can definitely make a difference. There is a section here with lots of recommendations on food. I agree with the post above mine that recommends something of a better quality than Iams. I used Iams on my last Golden. This time I did lots of research before choosing a food. Not sure if you are aware but Iams of yesteryears is not the same as Iams of today. Eukanuba & Iams were both bought out by Procter & Gamble several years back & it is not the same anymore.
I use Fromm on the two puppies I have now. I liked their ingredients & that they are made by Fromm & not another company, in their own US plants with human grade ingredients.
I usually use a rake, wide-tooth comb & sometimes a slicker or a pin brush. I am guessing my wide tooth comb is similar to the Grey hound comb people seem to like.

Welcome, hope you will share some photos.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fish oil will help alot with the shine of your dogs coat. We feed Jack Innova large breed puppy (recomended by our traniner). He loves and it seems to be putting good weight (7+ months 60 lbs). It is a little expensive, $60 for a 33 lb bag, but we think it is worth it.

We have been using the furminator on Jack as well and it hasn't been an issue. He actually seems to enjoy it. Not really sure what a greyhound brush is, but we also use other "regular" brushes.

Jack's Dad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts