Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Nala, my 5.5 month old golden puppy has had giardia and was treated for it. Her recent fecal test came back negative for giardia cysts. But she continued to have loose stools. The vet prescribed metronidazole. She seemed ok a few days after the course was done. And then the loose stools started again. Once again metronidazole for 10 days! She's done with the 2nd round of the meds but continues to have loose stools. Besides, she now hates her kibbles (Fromm Large breed). The vet sent home the Royal Canin GI and she won't eat that either. But the girl is hungry, wandering around the kitchen looking for food. She gradually gets hyper and aggressive. I'm at my wits' end. I really need some advice from all of you experienced golden moms and dads.
What are we missing here?? My husband started adding cooked egg whites to her kibbles few weeks ago. Is it possible that she's allergic to eggs? It's hard to get hold of our vet...he works in multiple animal clinics. I'm kind of desperate here. I feel bad that Nala is hungry, but she's avoiding her food.
Thanks all for helping out newbies like me!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Will she eat chicken and white rice with a little chicken broth? You could try that for a few days. My first Golden had giardia and it took a couple of years before his stomach seemed to settle completely. The vet suggested Propectalin tablets (a probiotic) which you can get at Chewy. It helped firm up his stool when it got runny. He ate them like treats.

Then try easing the Royal Canin kibble in. Is Fromm high protein? Luke could not tolerate the rich higher quality foods those first couple of years.

·
Premium Member
18,311 Posts
If you can't get into your vet, find another vet. There are other treatments for giardia, ask the vet for something other than just metronidazole.

Try warming broth and putting it in her food. The warmth and increased aroma might entice her to eat.

·
Super Moderator
4,155 Posts
I had Thor at the vet in the Summer for diarrhea. He was treated for it and the vet did say that the digestive system may be upset for a few days. Thor was put on a special perscription diet and given some probiotics.

·
Kristy
9,688 Posts
Don't give up, the loose stools isn't right. Try the probiotic, try super bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a while or ask about prescription food to give that inflammation time to die down. I'm sorry you all are going through this, it's so frustrating.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will she eat chicken and white rice with a little chicken broth? You could try that for a few days. My first Golden had giardia and it took a couple of years before his stomach seemed to settle completely. The vet suggested Propectalin tablets (a probiotic) which you can get at Chewy. It helped firm up his stool when it got runny. He ate them like treats.

Then try easing the Royal Canin kibble in. Is Fromm high protein? Luke could not tolerate the rich higher quality foods those first couple of years.
Thanks so much! Nala will eat rice with yogurt. I'll see if she will take it with chicken. The vet sent home the Royal Canin GI food and asked me to mix in some prescription canned Digestive Care mix. He also advised to gradually ease off the Fromm Kibbles. Nala is such a picky eater, she was sooo suspicious when I gave her the new mix (wet food+Royal Canin GI+Fromm kibbles). This morning she gave it a try gingerly and ate about half a cup. Fingers crossed she will eat more of the stuff. I'm hoping her tummy settles and her stools firm up. I will run out and buy her a priobiotic. Looks like metronidazole has messed up her gut flora.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can't get into your vet, find another vet. There are other treatments for giardia, ask the vet for something other than just metronidazole.

Try warming broth and putting it in her food. The warmth and increased aroma might entice her to eat.
Thanks! We are seriously considering changing the vet. He is a nice enough man, but is always late in getting back to us. Too much on his plate:rolleyes:. Would you please be able to share what other treatments are there are giardia? Warm broth is such a great idea!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had Thor at the vet in the Summer for diarrhea. He was treated for it and the vet did say that the digestive system may be upset for a few days. Thor was put on a special perscription diet and given some probiotics.
Thanks! I hope Thor is doing well now. Thor is such a beautiful name!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't give up, the loose stools isn't right. Try the probiotic, try super bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a while or ask about prescription food to give that inflammation time to die down. I'm sorry you all are going through this, it's so frustrating.
Yeah, I'm not giving up! Thanks! I will try the probiotic and the chicken-rice. She just ate half a cup of the prescription food. Fingers crossed! It is always worrisome when our little fur babies are sick within a few months of their birth.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My oldest dog, Duke, was very sick for several weeks this past year. He would not eat anything. We were getting ready to admit him and the vet had one last idea, canned cat food. It was gross! They gave Duke a fish and rice RX brand at the vet that day and I brought him home on it gradually mixing back in his normal diet. Duke is allergic to chicken but the vet thought of it because she has had great success with the chicken and rice canned cat food in dogs with GI upset. It is really smelly but apparently does the trick. Duke hadn't eaten anything in days. I had tried EVERYTHING and he has ME, a very bad digestive issue. He had also stopped drinking. I was feeding him watermelon to keep him going.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aww! Poor Duke! I'm glad he got over his sickness. Who would've thought that canned cat food did the trick?! We'll try anything to get our babies back on their feet. Take care.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For probiotics buy plain KEFIR at the grocery store by the yogurt. Kefir is easier to digest and more probiotics than yogurt. About a tablespoon a day of Kefir. For fiber and firm poop, sprinkle a teaspoon of CHIA seeds on the food.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For probiotics buy plain KEFIR at the grocery store by the yogurt. Kefir is easier to digest and more probiotics than yogurt. About a tablespoon a day of Kefir. For fiber and firm poop, sprinkle a teaspoon of CHIA seeds on the food.
Thanks! Just went to the store and bought some kefir for Nala!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any updates? Please let us know how it's going.
It's been a rollercoaster with Nala! She seemed to be getting better with the Royal Canin GI food. The stools were kind of soft but not a full blown diarrhea. After a few days of that, now she has loose stools again. Will not eat her kibbles. The vet doesn't seem concerned at all. Another thing I've noticed recently is that she keeps pushing her food bowl around with her nose and whining. I'm not sure what's going on in her head. Thanks for checking about Nala! I'm so glad I found this forum.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi,

Nala, my 5.5 month old golden puppy has had giardia and was treated for it. Her recent fecal test came back negative for giardia cysts. But she continued to have loose stools. The vet prescribed metronidazole. She seemed ok a few days after the course was done. And then the loose stools started again. Once again metronidazole for 10 days! She's done with the 2nd round of the meds but continues to have loose stools. Besides, she now hates her kibbles (Fromm Large breed). The vet sent home the Royal Canin GI and she won't eat that either. But the girl is hungry, wandering around the kitchen looking for food. She gradually gets hyper and aggressive. I'm at my wits' end. I really need some advice from all of you experienced golden moms and dads.
What are we missing here?? My husband started adding cooked egg whites to her kibbles few weeks ago. Is it possible that she's allergic to eggs? It's hard to get hold of our vet...he works in multiple animal clinics. I'm kind of desperate here. I feel bad that Nala is hungry, but she's avoiding her food.
Thanks all for helping out newbies like me!
My 15 mo had the same issue. Vet internist said we could go in many interventional directions, but she thought that it was the destruction of the flora in his gut. So we took the "easy" route to see if it would resolve his issue (he was gaunt and his stools were loose to liquid--we got up at least twice a night). Biome by Purina was a gamechanger. After just a few days, he began to improve. It has not been a straight line recovery, but now, 8 months later, he is perfectly stable. Re Biome--it is a prescription-required food, and it's not cheap. I get it from Chewy, and my dog is alive and thriving. I thought I was going to lose him. Sending you good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like she hates the Royal Canin GI food. Maybe try FreshPet.com at costco, target, grocery stores in the refridgerator. FreshPet is cooked meat & veggies so much more appetizing then royal canin gi food. Order the CHIA seeds online or in some grocery stores. Sprinkle a teaspoon of CHIA seeds on the food for fiber and firm poop. I used FreshPet.com years ago, but we have moved on to frozen ground raw complete with meat, bones, organs, and veggies and I add NaturVet KELP HELP greens powder, a raw egg, tablespoon of plain KEFIR and sprinkle CHIA seeds on top. It has been a winning formula for my goldens. But many dog owners are still on kibble, then will go to canned, then to cooked food meat and veggies, or FreshPet, then eventually they go to frozen ground raw. Its a transition. My golden puppy loved raw food over anything else and has just loved this formula. I also love it because always firm poop, easy to pick up and little poop smell. I remember the kibble days of big smelly soft poop and the poop stench was horrible. So happy we have left that behind.

·
Kristy
9,688 Posts
Sounds like she hates the Royal Canin GI food. ... My golden puppy loved raw food over anything else and has just loved this formula. I also love it because always firm poop, easy to pick up and little poop smell. I remember the kibble days of big smelly soft poop and the poop stench was horrible. So happy we have left that behind.
I am a big fan of raw, it just can be expensive to purchase high quality pre-made options to make sure the dog is getting really balanced nutrition. I made it myself for a long time and always felt concern in the back of my mind that she was getting exactly what she needed. I do think it could be worth a try for this puppy but only with the probiotics added - I guess it couldn't be more expensive than the prescription dog food.

My thought would also be to try a consult with a holistic vet for a second opinion on new ideas. Have you tried adding the probiotics? Have you tried cooking rice and boiled chicken for a couple weeks worth of meals? I hate that this is continuing. It's also frustrating when the vet doesn't seem concerned with something that is a clear quality of life problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 15 mo had the same issue. Vet internist said we could go in many interventional directions, but she thought that it was the destruction of the flora in his gut. So we took the "easy" route to see if it would resolve his issue (he was gaunt and his stools were loose to liquid--we got up at least twice a night). Biome by Purina was a gamechanger. After just a few days, he began to improve. It has not been a straight line recovery, but now, 8 months later, he is perfectly stable. Re Biome--it is a prescription-required food, and it's not cheap. I get it from Chewy, and my dog is alive and thriving. I thought I was going to lose him. Sending you good luck.
Thanks much for your advice! Good to know your golden survived this harrowing challenge. Nala was prescribed Metronidazole 3 times and I believe it definitely messed up her gut. I'm going to research Biome and see if that would be a good fit for her. At this point I am willing to try anything. We are not able to enjoy her puppyhood and she's growing up so fast!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts