Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,these days my boy has been in a playful mood and is more energetic than usual.When we went for our walk this morning(he was on a leash at the moment)he turned,looked at me,made the ''play with me'' posture,and then started jumping.Really high.His back legs were at the same hight as him-23.5 inches.I have to say,he did it very carefully,without pulling me,or jumping on me.He was just playing-feeling like it and in a good mood.He jumped at least 10 times,wagging his tail and looking at me in the meantime.Now,he does tend to jump.But i'm a little worried,because one time he ended up with an urgent vet check-he was crying loud when we touched his back legs.We thought-Hip Displasia...:no::no: So did the vet,when we discribed the simptoms.But the X-ray showed-no HD.The vet thought he had hurt his leg.When we mentioned he jumps high,he said that this is probably the reason.He was fine in 3 days.A 72 lbs dog should not jump that high...So do i stop him,so he doesn't get injured,or do i let him have fun? :confused: He is 3 years old..Any other ''jumpers'' out there?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Danny does that every time I get their collars out for their walk. I don't worry about it, but he has really solid hips and is very athletic. It cracks me up when he does it, he just jumps straight up and down, all 4 feet at least 2 feet in the air.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,i believe my boy is in good condition too.But it's injuries that have me worried-he jumps really high.I guess he feels good,since he has no problem to jump so much.But one time he got hurt...

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Generally, I'd suggest that you let him self-limit for stuff like this. They can handle jumping around; they're dogs! The fact that his hips don't show any HD is good for peace of mind too.

If he's out of control with excitement, I might rein him in a little, simply because they do overexert themselves when they get wound up, but I wouldn't stop all jumping.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank is a jumper but I've never worried about it. He also loves to run, tumble and slide. But an injury can happen anytime, even with normal running. Goldens are active dogs and with activity comes risks and we hold our breath same as we do when our kids play sports.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Injuries can always happen, and there are some prudent steps you can take to minimize them:

First and foremost, keep the dog lean. Extra weight is probably the single greatest risk factor for a joint injury. A lean dog will also experience fewer symptoms in the event he turns out to have HD or ED and a delay in the onset of arthritis (and other geriatric conditions) in his later life, and he'll live almost two years longer on average!

Second, train your dog up to whatever activity you want him to do. If you want a hiking companion, build distance and elevation slowly together. That applies both if you get him as a pup or if you decide to start running or hiking together as a new habit. Sudden increases in distance, elevation, and exertion vastly increase the risk of injury. Training a dog's endurance and muscle over time vastly decreases it.

Lastly, accept that fact that injuries are a real risk in an active lifestyle. Keep money saved up for potential vet visits (and/or insure the dog). Even when you take all reasonable steps to prevent injury, they can still happen, and you don't need to feel guilty if and when they do. I'd rather be out there several times a week with my guys and risk an injury (to them or me) than keep us all on the couch 24/7. If they could talk, they'd certainly choose the running and hiking.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,that gives me piece of mind!I'l let him set his own limits,unless he realli goes to far.:bowl:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts